Budapest Tourist Traps

Váci utca
    by lotharscheer

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Budapest

• flevente's Profile Photo

"HYENA" TAXIS and how to spot them

by flevente Updated Dec 30, 2006

Hyena waiting for its prey

A typical hyena cab, as on the picture here is a black, newer Mercedes Benz, a car regular taxi drivers could never afford sometimes with some make-beleive company logo, not on the front doors as on real taxis but on the trunk.

NEVER EVER be so dumb as to even talk to taxi drivers that drive taxis without insignias of the well known taxi companies (Budapest Taxi, Taxi 2000 or 6X6) on the front doors. Hungarians call these cabs "hyena taxis", well not without a reason. Hungarians would sooner walk from Kispest to Obuda than take any of these.

They are NOT taxis, but petty criminals looking for a few (or more) bucks to make. Even if you see no other taxis around (e.g. Matthias church, end of Vaci utca, other touristy places, where "hyenas" have a usual gathering place) just keep looking for real cabs or just walk, you'll be better off even if you get lost!

Unique Suggestions: Pay through the nose and don't argue because you might end up badly beaten in a dirty alleyway.

Fun Alternatives: Buy a day ticket for BKV (then you won't need a picture ID with the ticket) and take the bus, tram, pullman or whatever.

• metallemon's Profile Photo

Exchange Money

by metallemon Written Dec 13, 2006

It's preferrable to exchange money from the city centre either from the exchange shops or from banks but don't try to exchnage money at stations (Keleti Station for example). They really want to steal you.

Unique Suggestions: If you have to exchange money at stations at least try to exchange only a small sum.

Fun Alternatives: I found the best offers at Vaci utca

• batigol_09's Profile Photo

Never take anything not on the card

by batigol_09 Written Dec 7, 2006

Avoid the Arany Hordó Restaurant on the Castle Hill. It's in some Travel Guides. God only knows why. The Restaurant is so overpriced I could hardly believe it. The Food is below average, the menu card gives you plenty to choose from, but unfortunately we were so disappointed. Looking into the faces of other's in the restaurant they must have thought the same.

Beware of the waiters. We choose a bottle red wine on the waiters recommendation. Price was already quite expensive, about 40€. He came back with a totally different bottle and said the other one was solt out. What a shame, but that one was great also but unfortunately not in the card. When I heard that my alarm went of. So I asked for the price. It was 90€, more than double the price from the original price. They probably do it all the time, so be careful.

• Do not get into that elevator!!!

by demento Updated Dec 1, 2006

The builing with the elevator

OK. This is a classic but the location is very interesting. The four of us were walking down the Vaci st. in the center of Budapest and we met two lost girls from Slovakia who wanted to find this great bar. After introduction and a short walk we were convinced to go and see a famous hungarian band (yeah right) in a classy bar on the top of the bilding in Regi Posta st. You get to the bar by a nice elevetor. After two bottles of wine and a few palinkas my friend wanted to order a beer and opend the price list. He almost fainted. Girls also wanted to dance for us and tryed to make us order a song from the band to dance on.. If they succeeded the bill would be significantly bigger. For a symbollic price of 300 Euros we drank two half glasses of wine and some schnapps. If you do not have enogh money, a convenient ATM machine is inside the restaurant. We played along and left without the scratch. If you don't have enough cash and no credit card, prepare to be owned!! You can't miss the place, JUST DON'T GO INTO THE FRAGGIN LIFT.. the pictures follows

• Wine Tasting

• alex0312's Profile Photo

Taking a taxi you may not be able to afford!

by alex0312 Written Oct 17, 2006

If you need to take a taxi in Budapest, make sure that taxi has a medallion, company name, and a phone number available on the side of the car. There are many "fake" taxis that do not work for any company and they will take you for a "ride," but not the one you are thinking of. They will charge an insane amount of money, way more than a regular legitimate taxi. So make sure it is a company taxi.

• marica's Profile Photo

Another restaurant scam

by marica Written Oct 17, 2006

After a recent experience at Fatal (search restaurant tips where I describe it), we were told my our long-time local (native Budapestian) host of a new way to scam tourists: Refuse to serve them unless they order "enough". Apparentley not only Fatal does this, but many other restaurants as well.

This is just dumb business practice-- especially for a restaurant in a city that people seem to be becoming disillusioned by.

There are places who will split huge portions between two people, and be happy to let you sit while you enjoy your meal (without telling you when you must be out).

Unique Suggestions: If you can-- take a local with you to Fatal , especially the first time you go. They will cheat locals, but less likely if you're careful.

Fun Alternatives: Alfoldi's

• ivanab's Profile Photo

TAXI !!!

by ivanab Updated Oct 13, 2006

Try to use taxi as little as possible, 'cause they're especially fond of strangers. You'll pay four times more than you should if they notice you're foreign.

Unique Suggestions: So, if you know someone who knows hungarian, let him speak with taxi driver and set the price

Fun Alternatives: Use the metro, the organisation is really great!

• MLW20's Profile Photo

Budapest Card

by MLW20 Written Sep 15, 2006

We were close to buying the Budapest Card. The card includes metro/tram/bus use plus discounts at various sites, museums and restaurants.

The passes are pretty expensive and we were told that even though it says sites are free, they really aren't. Each museum says that they are having a special exhibit which the card does not include so you get stuck paying the admission regardless.

If you have a student ID you will save more money using it.

• passou's Profile Photo

Return minibus ticket at the airport

by passou Written Sep 12, 2006

A good solution to go from the airport to the city center is to take the minibus : inexpensive, and they will go to your hotel, wherever it is located, for the same price.

The trap is to buy a return ticket: you will have to call a number one day before you are leaving the country. I was leaving on a sunday, so I tried to call several times the Saturday, but nobody answered to me...Same on sunday morning... I asked the hotel reception to do it for me, but nobody answered to...When I arrived at the airport BY TAXI, i went directly to the minibus deck to ask for a refund, but they told me that it was written on the ticket " no refund for any reason..."

Unique Suggestions: So guys, just buy a single ticket airport - city center to avoid to lose money...

Fun Alternatives: To go back from city center, a taxi cost 20 euros.

• veigapaula's Profile Photo

Airport bus instead of taxi

by veigapaula Written Sep 11, 2006

airport minibus

Although taxis are controlled now by the city hall because of asking too much from tourists you have a better option; to buy a return ticket from the airport minibus service. It takes you to the hotel door and picks you up the day you leave from hotel door. You just have to book one day before and they will be there at the hour you choose.

It costs about 15 € return ticket

Unique Suggestions: Taxi only in an emergency situation or during night. During the day you use the metro to go everywhere and there are several buses and trams too.

Fun Alternatives: To go up Hills like Gellert and Castle use the sightseeing bus trips, one day trips of 2 or 3 hours that cost about 12 € with Budapest card or International Student card discount.

• Seniors
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel

• neuromancerWILL's Profile Photo

Stamp Your Ticket!

by neuromancerWILL Written Aug 21, 2006

Beware on the tube, the ticket inspectors are RUTHLESS! We bought a ticket that we thought was for a day, yet didn't get it stamped to verify it. Despite our obvious mistake the inspectors would not let us get away with it, we had to pay the equivalent of £20 before they would let us continue on.

Fun Alternatives: Better still, go to a booth and get the "Budapest Card". For around £13 each we got 72hours use fo all types of transport, from tubes to trams to buses. There is a whole host of other benefits as well - the best being getting into the Zoo for free!!

• Trains

• Budapest card - probably not good value

by oldtravelbag Written Aug 7, 2006

The various travel information points promote the Budapest card. It gives free travel on trams, buses and metro within the city and discounts on entrance fees in some places. However, like all these things either you aren't interested in the activities offered, or else many are actually free in any case eg all state museums (not special exhibitions). We found having the card from when we arrived at the station was handy as we paid for it by credit card and so weren't fumbling for change to get onto the metro, and we certainly used it hugely during our 2 days there.

Unique Suggestions: But you can get a similar but cheaper travel pass from any of the metro ticket booths. It's no biggie really but just a bit niggling that they catch you before you have worked this one out.
    Incidentally the public transport network is just awesomely wonderful and integrates like a dream!

Fun Alternatives: Once you have some change, getting a ride-by-ride ticket is also very cheap.

• Archeology
    • Seniors

• Girls asking the time and astronomical bar bills

by freqtraveller Written Aug 3, 2006

The same thing as described previously in another post happened to me last night. It was my first time in Budapest and I had gone for a walk. Two girls sitting on a bench when I was passing by asked me for the time. They claimed they were also visiting and asked whether I wanted to go have a drink with them. I (stupidly) said why not, and we went to a bar where we all ordered a drink. Then they ordered more drinks, then dinner, then more drinks. One of the girls started flirting and holding my hand. This went on for a couple of hours. When I said that I wanted to leave, the bill came, and the girls gave it to me. I did not mind, since I did not expect that it would be too bad, and we all had had a good time. The bill was 234.000 Forint!!! I complained, said that I did not drink that much, the girls claimed that we did. They claimed that they had no money, and I certainly did not have that much on me. They escorted me to a cash machine, but I complained. Then two heavies from the club showed up. Not knowing the language and not having any choice I paid the bill. Painful lesson that cost me €800. I felt like an absolute idiot!!! So, beware...

Unique Suggestions: Don't go!

• Business Travel

• fle973's Profile Photo

The Entire City

by fle973 Written Jun 23, 2006

Everything advertised in English or German is pretty much a tourist trap. Hungarians are bad when it comes to tourism and they (people who work in tourism) also have this third world mentality that they think Western visitors actually crap money.
    The City Council adds a lot to these problems by obviously allowing the ripping off going on (and probably profiting from it), they have blocked the building of a railway line from the airport to the city for decades (the lines are actually passing by the airport).
    The best you can do is to get a decent guide book or get to know somebody there (who is not in the tourism industry) and check out everything yourself. Avoid visiting well advertised sights, the others ar more interesting anyway.

Fun Alternatives: A lot of people don't know about the Turkish/ Ottoman sights in the city. They are really nice,e.g Gul Baba's Turbe and the less known baths like Rudas.

• Restaurants with dancers

by djferros Written Jun 10, 2006

We went to a restaurant that had local dancers and singers. We thought it would be good. My advise is to totally miss these out. The food is REALLY bad and service quite bad as well.

I've never known and waitress to get annoyed because you kept ordering drinks.

Unique Suggestions: avoid restaurants with singers and dancers, they are just there to bring you in and give you crap food.

Fun Alternatives: there are loads of genuine restauratnts.

Instant Answers: Budapest

Comments

Budapest Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Budapest tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Budapest sightseeing.

Budapest Members Meetings