Gyor Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Gyor

• iris2002's Profile Photo

Fertod Eszterházy Palace

by iris2002 Updated Apr 4, 2011

On the way to/from Sopron stop at the Fertod Eszterházy Palace, the largest Baroque mansion of Hungary, where Joseph Haydn served as a court musician and composed his world-famous melodies. The Music Hall once was the venue of the premiere of the Haydn Farewell-Symphony.

The western part of the city I-river & cityscape

by 1courage Updated Jun 22, 2008

view I

This part of Győr is not at all known by tourists, a real "off the beaten path". Mostly those tourists who come by train or by bus, head their way directly to the city centre from the City hall. I made a deviations to the left from this street to west-northwest because I knew that also this part of the city was quite interesting. I loved this view of the Rába river and the church towers of this part of Győr. As I wrote on the Győr home page, there are several brigdes that connect the separated quarters and I used some of them to pass through the river.

Inside the Szent Rókus church

by 1courage Updated Jun 22, 2008

The church internal

I was lucky to find this church open because there were a holy mass on wich only some old ladies partecipated (It was about 8.45 A.M. and weekday). I shot some photos than I realized that the function was finishing so I expected everyone come out and before the church was shut down, I managed to take some pics. One of the ladies told me that the church has 2 nice side chapels as well. I liked the lovely wooden altars, the coloured windows and the ceiling fresco wich didn`t seem to me very old, but it`s beyond doubt a good work.
    And now let`s go back to the Things to do tips------>

Kossuth Lajos street

by 1courage Updated Jun 21, 2008

Street scene with churches

In Hungary you cannot find any village/town/city that has no Kossuth Lajos street (like Freddy Kruger said "there is an Elm street in every town>;-) ). Also Győr has one. It starts at the neo-gothic church and you find there two further churches among wich the first one (the yellow late baroque-classical) has a fantastic internal.
    Altough in the fifth photo it seems itwas open, unfortunaltley there was an iron fence that imeded me to enter. I had been inside before and it`s a pity I cannot show some images about it. Further more I had no time to visit also the other church (the far one in white colour).

• 1courage's Profile Photo

The western part of the city II. neo-gothic church

by 1courage Updated Jun 21, 2008

The church

This charming neo-gothic protestant church is very close to the Rába river and the double Rába bridge, as you can see on the previous tip.
    Unfortunately I couldn`t enter to see the internal, but maybe you will more fortunate....:)

The Szent Rókus (Saint Roch) church

by 1courage Written Jun 21, 2008

View of the church

I found this little baroque church accidentally. It`s quite close to the Kossuth Lajos street and the previously mentioned churches and I saw it`s tower from the street.
    It`s located in a nice square, wich is maybe more a park than a regular square.
    This part of the city is called újváros, (new city) in english, nevertheless most of the buildings aren`t new: those were built in the XIX.th century, so it desen`t look like very new.
    According to the script I saw on the church wall, this church was consacrated in 1712.

• BornjuPorkelt's Profile Photo

A Unique Farmers Market

by BornjuPorkelt Updated Apr 4, 2011
    Selling ducks & geeese

Visit the local farmers market (we did on Friday) for an amazing experience.
    However, you must be able to speak the language to really know what's happening.
    Otherwise, it's just sightseeing.

• Seniors

Instant Answers: Gyor

Comments

Gyor Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Gyor off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gyor sightseeing.