Pecs Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Pecs

Etterem Rengeteg

by HORSCHECK Updated Jun 19, 2014

Etterem Rengeteg: My Szalon beer

On my last day in Pecs I had dinner in the Etterem Rengeteg, which I already noticed on my arrival to the town. It is a sort of gastropub and small venue for local artists.

The interior is furnished and decorated in an alternative pub style. On warm days at least one table can be found on the pedestrianised street in front of the building. Apart from that a kind of corridor courtyard belongs to the place.

The menu offers a small selection of international pub dishes from burgers and pasta meals to a variety of other main courses. I opted for the Hungarian Gypsy Roast Joint (Ciganypecsenye), which came with chips. It was tasty, filling and with 1650 HUF reasonably priced. To drink I had a local Szalon beer for 350 HUF.

Favorite Dish: The Etterem Rengeteg is located in the pedestrianised street Ferencesek utcaja which leads from the central square Szechenyi ter in western direction.

Etterem Pizzeria Elefantos

Etterem Pizzeria Elefantos

After some extensive explorations of Pecs on my first full day in the city, I felt very hungry. As the oudoor terrace of the Etterem Pizzeria Elefantos looked quite inviting, I took a seat here at some time in the early afternoon.

The restaurant seems to be quite popular in the evening, but during the day it was easy to find a free table here. The place is specialised in Italian cuisine from pasta and pizza to meat dishes.

I opted for a Pizza Salami for 1400 HUF and a lemonade for 790 HUF. The pizza was good, but not as excellent as one might expect from a slightly upscale place.

Service was a bit slow, but I actually didn't really mind as I was happy to take a longer break in the shade of the outdoor terrace. Apart from that, the view of the small square Jokai ter was lovely.

Virag Cukraszda

Inside Virag Cukraszda

Virag Cukraszda is one of the two popular cafes at the central square Szechenyi ter. One slightly rainy late afternoon I decided to give it a try. On sunny days a large outdoor seating area underneath the trees faces the square. Due to the weather I chose to sit inside, where everything felt a bit cramped.

Apart from a large variety of cakes, they als seem to be specialised in ice cream. Cake can be chosen from the glassy displays and I asked for a piece of a fruity yoghurt cake (380 HUF) and a black tea (350 HUF). The cake was very yummy, whereas the tea was a bit small.

One of the main reasons to visit Virag Cukraszda in summer is probably its excellent location for people watching at the central square Szechenyi ter, hence prices are probably a bit more expensive than in other locations..

Etterem Afium

Etterem Afium

After my late check-in at the hotel at 21:15 h I felt like going out for a stroll to check out the illuminated main square. More by chance I saw the outdoor tables in front of the Etterem Afium, which looked inviting to me.

So I took a seat and ordered a local Pecsi Sör beer for 480 HUF. Only later I realised that this was actually a restaurant, but all people who were sitting outside in the pedestrianised street only had drinks.

When I went inside for the toilet, I got a glimpse of the cellar type of restaurant. I can't really comment on the food but apparently they serve Hungarian and Balkan cuisine.

Murphy's Pub

One late afternoon I wanted to take a break and do some people watching in the busy shopping street Kiraly utca. The outdoor tables of Murphy's Pub seemed to fulfil these requirements, so I took a seat here.

I ordered a Shandy, which was mixed from a 0,3 l Pecsi Sör beer and a 0,2 l Sprite, which I only found out when the bill came. The two drinks were charged seperately: 490 HUF for the beer and 390 HUF for the Sprite. Compared to what I paid at other locations in town, these prices for a 0,5 l drink were really expensive.

So obviously one has to pay for the central location here. Still I enjoyed my time at the busy place. Murphy's Pub also offers a selection of typical pub food, but I can't comment about it as I didn't eat here.

Palatinus Hotel Restaurant: Palatinus Hotel Restaurant

by antistar Updated Nov 11, 2013

The Hotel Palatinus is among the best in the city, and so is its restaurant. The interior of the restaurant is sumptuous, with grand arches and a polished marble floor, and outside you can enjoy people watching on the traffic free Kiraly street. The meals are delicate, but beautifully presented and very tasty. Like the rest of Hungary, it isn't even that expensive.

Dishes have a Hungarian bent, but are not necessarily heavy and meat obsessed.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Arizona Ranch: Arizona Ranch

by croisbeauty Updated Jun 13, 2013

Arizona Ranch

The restaurant "Arizona ranch" is situated in the Kiraly utza (sreet), right in the heart of the city and the main promenade area.

Favorite Dish: It is steak house which offers fresh meat on a daily basis. A piece of good beefsteak, green salate and cold beer is all you need after exploring the city of Pecs.

• picek's Profile Photo

Kezdokor Etterem: served in non touristy area

by picek Updated Jan 13, 2012

restaurant for football fans

This little restaurant is located by the main road behind Zsolnays factory, the one that bypass Mausoleum.
    It is one of those places that I think sevres mainly local population, and moreover it feels like a pub, a football fans pub and place to watch matches on a big LCD. Quite smoked it is, everybody here speaks only Hungarian, so it's nevertheless great place to start practicing it a little while browsing through their menu... which is in Hungarian and German.
    Expect a lot of fun when ordering.

Favorite Dish: I would recommend a visit to this 'etterem' mainly because of symphatic staff, and also if you want to indulge with atmosphere of 'normal' working class pub. Come over for a beer by evening, but better quench hunger somewhere else... the food from their kitchen is just about an average and little greasy. There are tons of great places to eat in Pecs, but quite understandable where pub meets restaurant, the emphasis is more on pub... which is quite common outcome in the Central Europe.

• picek's Profile Photo

Korhely etterem and pub: interesting concept and very nice food

by picek Updated Jan 10, 2012

eating, drinking, eating, drinking, eating...

When walking through side streets we got attracted by this nicely looking place - as we were about to settle for both having a drink and a little food and we were looking for something with good atmosphere, this place was promising.
    Only next day I read in a local english translated paper they get good reviews - therefore no wonder it gets a lot of foreign visitors too and sometimes tables are full.
    The atmosphere is real good, and service is friendly. Even on a Silvester night they served food late and reading their menu with amusing titles and description of food and drinks can be one of the reasons alone to come here. Why not... who wouldn't like to have buffallo wings and sex in Pecs (the cocktail)!

Favorite Dish: The food is yummy, nicely decorated, and their salads are gorgeous! Even when you order only main salad, and let's say bruschette, this is enough to make one person full for long time. Ask waiter to recommend you dishes if you are in doubt, by telling your prefferences. They're good at it (if the food is good you cannot be bad about recommending something anyways).
    Vegetarians have limited menu, most food focus on meat, and meat again.

There is extensive list of drinks to try from non-alco cocktails through alcoholic ones, palinkas, beers and decent list of good local wines. The latter I'd specially recommend to try. Villany wineyards are near, climate is good, wincellars nice.

While you're accompanied by good comapny, enjoying lively atmosphere and having damn good foods and wine, take a look to glassy terrarium. Three rodents go out of their hiding from time to time and they're so interesting to watch.

One another unique thing in this place: the wooden floor is nestled with straw and you're free to throw peanuts shells on the floor, only adding more soft 'material' to the surface.

Afium Etterem: eating in 'cool' basement

by picek Updated Jan 3, 2012

oldschool tablecloths and chairs

This is one of the cellar type restaurant in the basement of the houses at Irgalmasok pedestrian street, with warm and lively atmosphere. Its vintage-like design is worth of note; dining room adorned with antique lights and tables, replicas of old maps, original paintings and photos, fine velvet-like sofas, etc. etc. Place comes with reasonably priced dishes, drinks and snacks, and looks quite popular with locals (and visitors).
    Smoking is allowed in part of restaurant (in 2012 there will be smoking ban in closed areas).

Favorite Dish: Reading their menu is like a lesson how diverse is the region: here you read influences of their Slavic neighbours, then some local and Hungarian dishes, and also they have common dishes like pasta and pizza.

I have ordered their mushroom lepinja (white bread), whose name in Hungarian is very similar - but I forgot it. It's somehow very different than lepinja in Balkans, it's more hard and mushroom is filled inside - I thought it will be served beside the bread. But OK - something new for me.

They have fair choice of salads, I'd go for seasonal and/or local, pickled varieties.

Pizzas look okay now, a year earlier I thought they're little thick and small, like bread with something on top.

Anyways, I thought next time I shall try other dishes, but then again, we must yet come back another time to Pecs... and since there are plenty of nice looking eateries in this town, it's really hard to decide whether to go back to same places or continue to discover new ones.

• Architecture

• Elefántos Restaurant & Pizzeria: Elefántos Restaurant & Pizzeria in Pecs, Hungary

by choppa Written Aug 1, 2011

Elefántos Restaurant & Pizzeria in Pecs in Hungary. The food was very good. Also the ambiance. But the whole evening at the restaurant was totally spoiled by the italian waiter.
    Not only he was rude and arrogant, he also made a sick joke to my wife at the end.
    I almost never get angry at waiters, because I know how exhausting such job can be. But this guy really wreaked the whole evening. Even the tip was already on the bill, which has to be a personal idea of the client. And don't use the toilets. They are so dirty, that you might get sick.

Rundo Restaurant: best mushroom soup

by picek Updated Feb 25, 2011

maybe too much vegetable in this pancake

This place advertised local specialities and that's why we decided to enter. Finally, there were not only local dishes as I thought, but the choice is broad - like with most of restaurants. They have few vegetarian varietes, too and fish dishes, gulyashes and salads among other stuff.

Favorite Dish: I wasn't very impressed with my vegetarian crumbed 'pancake' with vegetable (on photo). It was like cooked frozen peas and carrot, didn't taste very well, but okay, next time I should try something different.

Their mushroom soup was the best I've tried in long time, real nice treat and served in clay plate. That's why I mention this restaurant here, for the soup. And also to remind myself for this place next time when I am in need for good warm soup.

• DavidRozgonyi's Profile Photo

Afium: Favorite restaurant by far

by DavidRozgonyi Written Oct 22, 2008

In a cellar, eclectic decor and seating, cozy, friendly, perfect for a romantic dinner. Food is cheap, portions gut-busting. Get a half-order (fel-adag) or you'll be needing a doggie bag, not that you'd give food this good to a mangy pup... Traditional Hungarian food, unlike a lot of the places on the main tourist streets, heavy and rich. I've lived in Pecs since February 2008, and every single time I go out to eat, or have to take someone out for dinner, it's here. No exceptions, enough said!

Favorite Dish: Oh boy, ask for this: Harcsa porkolt kapros turos csuszaval. You'll get: Boneless catfish chunks stewed in paprika, and ladled over boiled egg noodles covered with sour cream and cottage cheese and dill.... best ever! Their Mezes Csirke (honey chicken) is always tender and delicious too.

Elefántos Restaurant & Pizzeria: Pizza and Pasta

by antistar Written Oct 19, 2008

On a quieter square, just off the main Szechenyi square, the Elefantos offers quality Italian food. The exterior seating offers a view of Jokai square, with its peaceful channels of rushing water, playing children and no traffic to spoil the experience. The food and service is very good.

Coffein Cafe: Coffein Cafe

by antistar Written Oct 19, 2008

With a view over the main square, stylish seating and tasty dishes, this is a good stop for anyone peckish in Pecs. The pizza is good, the coffee is great and the prices are very reasonable. I think the only downside is a style issue: the name, printed in an 80s sci-fi font, reads almost like "coffin".

Instant Answers: Pecs

Comments

Pecs Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Pecs restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pecs sightseeing.