Pecs Things to Do

  • National Theatre of Pecs
    National Theatre of Pecs
    by HORSCHECK
  • Idrisz Baba's Turbe
    Idrisz Baba's Turbe
    by HORSCHECK
  • Mosque of Yakovali Hassan
    Mosque of Yakovali Hassan
    by HORSCHECK

Most Recent Things to Do in Pecs

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Barbican

    by HORSCHECK Updated Jul 11, 2014

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Barbican (Barbakan bastya) is a 15th century outlook tower, which once belonged to the fortification system of the Bishop's Castle. Its purpose was to protect the seat of the bishop against the Turkish invasion.

    The Gothic style tower was surrounded by a moat and could be reached via a wooden drawbridge. It has an inner courtyard and can be climbed for panoramic views of the surrounding area.

    Directions:
    The Barbican stands in the street Esze Tamas utcaja at the south-western corner of the former Bishop's Castle.

    Barbican Barbican Sign at the Barbican Barbican and statue of Janus Pannonius
    Related to:
    • Trains
    • Backpacking
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Havi Hill Chapel

    by HORSCHECK Updated May 18, 2014

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The history of the Havi Hill Chapel (Havi-hegy kapolna) dates back to the end of the 17th century, when it was built to commemorate the end of the plague in the town. It is said that all building materials were carried onto the top of the hill by the citizens of Pecs themselves.

    The chapel is dedicated to our lady of the snow and it is a popular pilgrimage site since its construction.

    In 1780 the chapel was severely damaged by a fire, but rebuilt afterwards. The small hill Havi-hegy offers panoramic views of the town.

    Just in front of the chapel a cross can be found. It was designed by the local sculptor György Kiss and blessed in 1900.

    Directions:
    The Havi Hill Chapel is located on a small hill, approximately 1 km north-east of Pecs' historic city centre.

    Address: Havi Hill Chapel, Havihegyi utca 7, Pecs

    Havi Hill Chapel Havi Hill Chapel Havi Hill Chapel Interior of the Havi Hill Chapel
    Related to:
    • Trains
    • Backpacking
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    St. Peter and Paul Basilica

    by HORSCHECK Updated May 18, 2014

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The history of the St. Peter and Paul Basilica (Szent Peter es Pal Bazilika) dates back to the 11th century, when a Romanesque cathedral was built on this site.

    During massive reconstructions between 1882 and 1891 it received its current neo-Romanesque appearance, which was designed by the Viennese architect Friedrich von Schmidt.

    The 70 m long basilica is dominated by four 60 m tall towers. The front façade is topped by statues of the twelve apostles, which were created by Mihaly Bartalits.

    Directions:
    The St. Peter and Paul Basilica is located in the north-western corner of Pecs' historic city centre. It can be found at the square Dom ter.

    St. Peter and Paul Basilica St. Peter and Paul Basilica St. Peter and Paul Basilica St. Peter and Paul Basilica St. Peter and Paul Basilica  seen from Cavalry Hil
    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Backpacking
    • Trains

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Statue of the Holy Trinity

    by HORSCHECK Updated May 18, 2014

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Statue of the Holy Trinity (Szentharomsag-szobor) commemorates the victims of an early 18th century epidemic plaques.

    The first statue was already erected in 1714, but replaced by a new one in 1750. The current statue was designed by the local sculptor György Kiss and inaugurated in 1908.

    On the three sides of the statue base, metal reliefs can be seen. The top is crowned by a dove, which is surrounded by golden sun rays.

    Directions:
    The Statue of the Holy Trinity stands in the middle of the square Szechenyi ter, right in the heart of Pecs's city centre.

    Statue of the Holy Trinity Statue of the Holy Trinity and Mosque Church Statue of the Holy Trinity and Mosque Church Statue of the Holy Trinity Statue of the Holy Trinity
    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Backpacking
    • Trains

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Calvary Hill

    by HORSCHECK Updated May 18, 2014

    4 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Calvary Hill (Kalvaria) commemorates the sufferings of Jesus Christ, which are depicted on 14 stations. Ten of these were erected in the early 19th century by the Jesuits.

    In 1812 a neoclassic round chapel was added to the site. The history of the Calvary Hill dates back to the late 13th century when it was first mentioned as Bertalan hill.

    The whole place is surrounded by a wall and unfortunately the gate was closed when I visited Calvary Hill. Behind the chapel is a small viewing platform from where panoramic views of the city can be enjoyed.

    Directions:
    Calvary Hill is situated on a small hill just north of Pecs' historic city centre.

    Calvary Hill Calvary Hill Calvary Hill Station Entrance to  Calvary Hill
    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Backpacking
    • Trains

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Mosque Church of Gazi Kasim Pasha

    by HORSCHECK Written May 17, 2014

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The former Mosque of Gazi Kasim Pasha (Gazi Kaszim pasa dzsamija) has been transformed to a Roman Catholic Church (Belvarosi plebania templom), hence the building is often refered to as Mosque Church.

    The mosque was built by the Turks in the middle of the 16th century on the site of a parish church. It is still the largest Ottoman building in Hungary.

    In the early 18th century the Catholics moved back and the minaret was pulled down in 1753.The northern semicular part was added to the Mosque Church in the 20th century.

    If there is no church service taking place, then the interior can be visited (entrance fee 400 HUF). It offers an impressive mix of Turkish vestiges in the front part and Christian symbols and ornaments in the back part of the building.

    Directions:
    The Mosque church dominates the northern side of the central square Szechenyi ter, which is situated right in the heart of Pecs' touristy city centre.

    Mosque Church of Gazi Kasim Pasha Mosque Church of Gazi Kasim Pasha Inside the Mosque Church of Gazi Kasim Pasha Inside the Mosque Church of Gazi Kasim Pasha
    Related to:
    • Trains
    • Backpacking
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Church of the Hospitaller Brothers

    by HORSCHECK Written May 17, 2014

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The history of the Church of the Hospitaller Brothers dates back to 1727 when it was built by the Capuchin friars. It is also known as Ignorantine Church (Irgalmasrendi templom).

    The church's patron is the martyr Saint Sebastian, as can be seen from the large inscription on the front facade. Above the main entrance stands a statue of the Virgin Mary, which was created by the local sculptor György Kis.

    Directions:
    The Church of the Hospitaller Brothers can be found in the south-eastern corner of the central square Szechenyi ter. Just in front of the church stands the famous Zsolnay Fountain.

    Church of the Hospitaller Brothers Church of the Hospitaller Brothers by night
    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Backpacking
    • Trains

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Zsolnay Fountain

    by HORSCHECK Written May 17, 2014

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Zsolnay Fountain was completed in 1912 after designs of the architect Andor Pilch. Due to missing funds and the outbreak of WWI, the city only erected it at its current place in 1930.

    The fountain was donated to the city by the son of the Hungarian entrepreneur Vilmos Zsolnay, who was the director of the local Porcelain Factory.

    The fountain is dominated by four eosin-glazed ox-head water spouts. On the fountain sides the coats of arms of Pecs and the Zsolnay factory can be seen.

    Directions:
    The Zsolnay Fountain can be found in the south-eastern corner of the central square Szechenyi ter. It stands just in front of the Church of the Hospitaller Brothers.

    Zsolnay Fountain Zsolnay Fountain Zsolnay Fountain: Ox head Zsolnay Fountain:  Pecs coat of arms Zsolnay Fountain: Ox head
    Related to:
    • Trains
    • Backpacking
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    St. Augustus Church

    by HORSCHECK Written May 17, 2014

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The first church on the site of the St. Augustus Church was built in the Middle Ages. It was converted into a mosque during the Ottoman era.

    The current St. Augustus Church (Szent Agoston templom) was completed in Baroque style in 1712 on the foundations of the former mosque. It belongs to the Augustine friars.

    Directions:
    The St. Augustus Church stands just outside of the north-eastern corner of Pecs' historic city centre.

    Address: St. Augustus Church, Agoston ter 1, 7625 Pecs

    St. Augustus Church
    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Backpacking
    • Trains

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Synagogue

    by HORSCHECK Written May 17, 2014

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Synagogue of Pecs (Zsinagoga) was consecrated in 1869 after more than 4 years of construction. The architects were Karoly Gerster, Lipot Kauser and Frigyes Feszl, of whom the latter also designed parts of the interior of Budapest's Great Synagogue.

    The top of the facade is dominated by a clock and a Jewish inscription, which translates as "The house of prayer for all people".

    For an entrance fee of 500 HUF the synagogue can be visited. Unfortunately I was either too late or a service took place in the synagogue, so that I didn't see the interior.

    Directions:
    The Synagogue of Pecs can be found at the eastern side of the square Kossuth ter, which is located about 200 metres south of the central square Szechenyi ter.

    Address: Synagogue, Kossuth ter, 7621 Pecs

    Synagogue Synagogue: Clock and a Jewish inscription Kossuth ter and synagogue
    Related to:
    • Trains
    • Backpacking
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Tettye Ruins

    by HORSCHECK Written May 17, 2014

    4.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Tettye Ruins (Tettyei romok) are the remains of the Bishop György Szathmary summer palace. It was built in Renaissance style at the beginning of the 16th century.

    During the Turkish era in the second half of the 16th century the building was used as a dervish monastery.

    Nowadays the ruins can be visited free of charge, and parts can even be climbed for views of the Tettye Park.

    Directions:
    The Tettye Ruins are located in the Tettye Park, which can be found approximately 2 km north of Pecs' historic city centre. The area is often referred to as the entrance to the Mescek Mountains.

    Address: Tettye Ruins, Tettye ter, 7622 Pecs

    Tettye Ruins Tettye Ruins Tettye Ruins Tettye Ruins
    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Backpacking
    • Trains

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    The Cross

    by HORSCHECK Written May 16, 2014

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The reinforced concrete Cross is actually only T-shaped and shows the crucified Jesus Christ. It was created by the local sculptor Sandor Retfalvi and erected in 1973.

    Due to its position on a white lime rock and its height of 4,20 metres it can be seen from afar and is a dramatic feature of the Havi Hill. The rock with the cross also offers a nice view of the Tettye Park further down.

    Directions:
    The Cross stands on top of a rock on Havi Hill. It can be found somewhere north of the Havi Hill Chapel (Havi-hegy kapolna).

    The Cross The Cross View of the Tettye Park from the Cross
    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Trains
    • Backpacking

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    All Saints' Church

    by HORSCHECK Written May 16, 2014

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The history of the All Saints' Church (Mindenszentek temploma) dates back to the 13 century, when a Romanesque church was built on this site.

    The current All Saints' Church was constructed in Gothic style in the 15th century. The church yard is almost completely surrounded by a wall.

    During the Turkish occupation, the The All Saints' Church was the only church in Pecs, which was still in use by the Christians.

    Directions:
    The All Saints' Church stands about 500 metres outside the north-eastern corner of Pecs' historic city centre. The town district is known as Budai.

    Address: All Saints's Church, Tettye utca 14, Pecs

    All Saints' Church All Saints' Church
    Related to:
    • Backpacking
    • Trains
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Our Lady Convent Church

    by HORSCHECK Written May 16, 2014

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The Catholic Our Lady Convent Church (Miasszonyunk Zardatemplom) is dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was constructed in Baroque style in 1727, but later in the middle of the 19th century it was rebuilt in romantic style.

    The church is directly connected to the neo-classic old convent building as well as the grammar school, which was completed in 1924.

    Directions:
    The Our Lady Convent Church stands on the south side of the square Szent Istvan ter, which is located adjacent to the square Dom ter with the St. Peter and Paul Basilica.

    Address: Our Lady Convent Church, Szent Istvan ter 8. 7621 Pecs

    Our Lady Convent Church Our Lady Convent Church
    Related to:
    • Budget Travel
    • Trains
    • Backpacking

    Was this review helpful?

  • HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

    Mosque of Yakovali Hassan

    by HORSCHECK Written May 16, 2014

    3.5 out of 5 starsHelpfulness

    The former Mosque of Yakovali Hassan (Jakovali Hasszan dzsamija) was built by pasha Yakovali Hassan in the second half of the 16th century.

    In the early 18th century when the Turks had left the city the building was used as a chapel, which was dedicated to Saint John of Nepomuk. Afterwards it often housed art exhibitions.

    The mosque and its 23 metres tall minaret is the only intact Turkish mosque in Hungary.

    Directions:
    The Mosque of Yakovali Hassan can be just outside the Szigeti gate, which stands near the south-western corner of the historic old town.

    Address: Mosque of Yakovali Hassan, Rakoczi ut 2, Pecs

    Mosque of Yakovali Hassan Mosque of Yakovali Hassan Mosque of Yakovali Hassan
    Related to:
    • Backpacking
    • Trains
    • Budget Travel

    Was this review helpful?

Instant Answers: Pecs

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

46 travelers online now

Comments

Pecs Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Pecs things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pecs sightseeing.

View all Pecs hotels