Pecs Warnings and Dangers

• Udvar at the border between Hungary and Croatia
    Udvar at the border between Hungary and...
    Republika Hrvatska
    by HORSCHECK
    Train Station in Osijek (HR)

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Pecs

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo

Almost no direct transport from Pecs to Osijek

by HORSCHECK Updated Jul 5, 2014

Train Station in Osijek (HR)

After my stay in Pecs I continued my trip to Osijek in Croatia. The distance between these two cities is only about 100 km and I was hoping to find a direct connection by either train or bus.

Unfortunately I had to realise that there were no trains serving this route anymore and the only direct buses went on either Sundays or Mondays and only during school terms (if I got it right).

So I decided for the following option: At first I took a bus from Pecs to Mohacs (1 h, 840 HUF), where I spent a few hours exploring the city. Then I caught one of the very few buses to Udvar (20 min., 310 HUF). Udvar is the last village on the Hungarian side of the border to Croatia.

I knew that there was no public transport crossing the border. So the only option was to walk to Knezevo, which is the next smaller village on the Croatian side.

I had already heard that this seemed to be possible, and that few other travellers had done so as well. Only the indications of the distance varied between 2 and 4 km. In fact it was almost 6 km and took me more than 1 hour of walking.

I arrived in Knezevo, hoping to find an ATM to get me some Croatian Kuna. The small local Post Office was just about to close and the lady in charge told me that Knezevo doesn't have any ATM.

As Knezevo is a very small village it had only one bar where some locals were hanging around. I got in contact with them, ordered a few drinks and exchanged some Euro to Croatian Kuna with the lady in charge. Some of the people even spoke perfect German as they lived in Germany. So I spent a pleasant time at the bar.

The plan was to take a local bus from Knezevo to Beli Manastir. However, from the locals I learnt that the bus wasn't very reliable and they didn't even know where exactly the bus stop was. So someone of them insisted that his uncle could drive me to Beli Manastir. It is the next bigger town with a regular local train connection to Osijek (30 min., 23,20 HRK).

After more than 7 hours and interesting insights into public transportation between two countries of the European Union I finally arrived in Osijek.

• Trains

• antistar's Profile Photo

General Info

by antistar Written Nov 2, 2008

Pecs is a reasonably safe city and quite relaxing to walk around. There are pickpockets, however, and at night a few drunks wander around. The begging appeared quite openly organised, with one old woman handing over her cash in plain view to a shaven headed thug guarding the territory. Most of the spiel from the beggars was only in Hungarian or German, as this is where the majority of tourists come from. English stumped them all.

• croisbeauty's Profile Photo

Kiraly street - the main...

by croisbeauty Updated Aug 26, 2002

Kiraly street - the main problem for me was in comunications, the fact is that Hungarians do not speak other language and it is quite difficult to explain in hotels, restaurants, shops or on the streets what do you want.

• vesziisti's Profile Photo

V I G Y Á Z A T !!!A Pécs...

by vesziisti Updated Aug 25, 2002

V I G Y Á Z A T !!!
    A Pécs nevû város nem tévesztendõ össze az egyes lapokon megjelenö
    'P E C S'-el!
    Naná, hogy nem!

WARNINGS!!!

Pécs city no equal with P E C S .

...

by vesziisti Written Aug 25, 2002

______________UFO...UFO..UFO.UFO________________________________________________ ___________________________
    Pleace see in full size, or click on picture.
    Kérlek, kattints a képre, vagy válaszd a lap tetején a teljes méret(Full size)opciót, akkor az 'UFO' is megjön.

• vesziisti's Profile Photo

VIGYÁZAT!!! ÉLNEK MÉG EMBEREK...

by vesziisti Written Aug 25, 2002

VIGYÁZAT!!! ÉLNEK MÉG EMBEREK FALUN IS!
    Valójában itt lakom,

Nagypall
    községben.
    De azt hiszem, ezt már említettem.

Instant Answers: Pecs

Comments

Pecs Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Pecs warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Pecs sightseeing.