Safety Tips in Akureyri

A black-headed gull.
    by Regina1965
  • Darn, it spotted me!! Getting ready for an attack.
    Darn, it spotted me!! Getting ready for...
    Black-headed gulls.

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Akureyri

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

The attack of the black-headed gull.

by Regina1965 Written Oct 3, 2011

Now, I have written a warning tip on my Iceland page on the attack of the arctic tern, which is extremely cranky and makes me run away in fear way too often. But only in Akureyri have I been repeatedly attacked by the black-headed gull as well, and it is way bigger than the arctic tern.

The black-headed gull stays around by the swimming pool as there is hot-dog stand. And by the pond by the swimming pool where the ducks and geese hang out and are fed. I really donĀ“t understand why they attack, it must be out of character for them... do they think I am going to steal their bread... or what is this about? I hate running away from birds in the middle of a town!

• schielen's Profile Photo

Unlike in other countries...

by schielen Written Aug 25, 2002

Unlike in other countries there is little protection against 'natural hazards'. Never go to close to the upper-edge of a waterfall, or to a geysir or other volcanic phenomenon. There is no fence or other indication that danger is eminent! The picture is taken at Namaskard, just East of Myvatn.

Instant Answers: Akureyri

Comments

Akureyri Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Akureyri warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Akureyri sightseeing.
Map of Akureyri