Safety Tips in Keflavík

Flybus tickets available at the airport
    by SWFC_Fan
    Geysir
    by Sharrie

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in Keflavík

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

Transport out of Keflavik

by SWFC_Fan Written Feb 2, 2008

Just a quick warning about transport between Keflavik, the Blue Lagoon and Reykjavik:

We landed at Keflavik airport late at night in December 2007 and made the mistake of thinking that the best option would be to spend our first night in Keflavik, before visiting the Blue Lagoon the following morning and then making our way north to Reykjavik the following afternoon.

This would have been a sound plan if we’d hired a car, but not such a good idea when relying on public transport.

We established soon after leaving our accommodation that Keflavik is a rather small town, despite being the site of the international airport. We spoke to some locals in the pub and discovered that catching a bus from town to the Blue Lagoon would likely be impossible. They couldn’t tell us where we might be able to catch such a bus if it existed and suggested that our best bet would be to make our way back to the airport and find transport there.

We decided to walk to the airport from our guesthouse – it didn’t look that far away. We dragged our bags through the snow onto the main road, and realised for the first time just how long a walk it was going to be! Thankfully, a local lady saw our plight and stopped to pick us up (I don’t think I’ve ever been so grateful in my life!).

Upon arriving back at the airport at midday, we found that the Flybus buses only leave when a flight has arrived. The next flight to land was scheduled for 2:30pm, meaning the next bus out of there (heading directly to Reykjavik) was at 3pm. The next bus to the Blue Lagoon was at 4pm.

We then realised that our options were:

a) Spend a princely sum on a taxi to the Blue Lagoon, with no definite means of then getting from there to Reykjavik;
    b) Waiting 4 hours for a bus to the Blue Lagoon; or
    c) Waiting 3 hours for a bus to Reykjavik, then booking the Blue Lagoon trip for the following day.

I suspect that this isn’t such a problem in the summer months when flights are more frequent, but it can certainly lead to a lot of waiting around in the winter months!

• Jozzzef's Profile Photo

Noisy town with car-trashing speed bumps

by Jozzzef Written Aug 25, 2004

Like so many tourists I spended my last night here to catch a very early flight home ($&@ù! Icelandair) We were looking around us to find a gas station to fill up our hire car when suddenly without clear signs or markings there was a huge speedbump. luckily we were driving a 4x4 but i can tell you my heart skipped a few beats! The town was full with traffic and noise although it was past midnight so I was glad we were staying on the campground just of the route to the airport.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo

Photo taking

by Sharrie Updated Feb 18, 2003

When taking photos in Iceland (& there are many occasions) be very careful of the nature & danger of each site. There are many breathtaking sceneries & thrilling excursions in Iceland but do remember the potential risks of getting hurt as well.

• chrissyalex's Profile Photo

I visited the Blue Lagoon on...

by chrissyalex Written Aug 25, 2002

I visited the Blue Lagoon on my last day in Iceland. Many people do because they offer a tour where they take you from Rekjavik to the Blue Lagoon and then to the airport which is not that far away. It really works out quite well. Many people at the Blue Lagoon were putting the mineral rich mud from the bottom of the lagoon all over their skin and some people were even putting it in their hair! It is supposed to be very good for the complexion and they even carry a line of skin products using this mud. Well, of course I had to do the same! ( but I didn't put it in my hair!) Though two of my friends did! You must take a shower before and after entering the lagoon, so I thought it would all wash off and it did! But my friends who put it in their hair felt very itchy and dirty their whole 6 hour plane ride home to New York! Their hair was also stiff and plastered to their heads(Even though they took a shower after leaving the lagoon!) It was a long flight home for them! So my advice is DON'T PUT THE MUD IN YOUR HAIR! Especially if you are going directly to the airport afterwards!

Instant Answers: Keflavík

Comments

Keflavík Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Keflavík warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Keflavík sightseeing.
Map of Keflavík