Reykjavík Restaurants

Kaffivagninn
    by lotharscheer

Most Recent Restaurants in Reykjavík

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

Hamborgarabúllan - Hamborgarabúlla Tómasar.: A very cozy hamburger joint.

by Regina1965 Updated Nov 25, 2014

Hamborgarabúllan or Hamborgarabúlla Tómasar literally means The Hamburger Joint. There are now 4 restaurants with this name in Reykjavík (7 of all in Iceland) and they are very popular here. They are owned by a guy we call The Hamburger guy, or Tommi, who opened the first hamburger place here in Iceland in 1981, Tommaborgarar, which was a revelation really as we had no hamburger places here back then.
    Then later on Mc Donalds arrived in Iceland, but in 2010 they left us again after the crisis hit Iceland. In 1987 Tommi opened up a Hard Rock Café here in Iceland, but they are closed now.

Tommi opened up the first Hamborgarabúlla Tómasar restaurant in 2004 in Reykjavík.

The restaurant at Ofanleiti is a very small and a very cosy place and so are the other ones. The service is excellent there and you are made to feel like you are at home. Kids love going there and it is all in all a very popular restaurant here in Iceland - it is a restaurant with a soul.

I added the website to the restaurants and there you can read an interesting interview with Tommi, the owner of the restaurants. He is a colourful character and a man with a big heart and soul. He only chooses the best quality meat for his hamburgers and they are of a high standard. Tommi has opened two Hamburger joints in London, one in Shoreditch and one in Marylebone. The one in Marylebone is about to move to another place.

Apart from the 4 restaurants in Reykjavík there is one in Hafnarfjörður and Kópavogur, Reykjavík´s neighbouring towns and Selfoss in South-Iceland. Yes, and the two in London, one in Copenhagen and Berlin and in 2014 there are plans of opening up new Hamborgarabúllan restaurant in Oslo, Norway.

I would say that Hamborgarabúllan is our answer to Mc Donalds. I go there from time to time to have French fries. And there is refill on the Coka Cola as many times as you like and complementary coffee.

Inside Hamborgarab��llan. The small restaurant in Ofanleiti.

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Einar Ben: Expensive and disappointing !!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Oct 14, 2014

We were recommended this restaurant from our hotel ….

We both had lobster soup to begin with …. it was ok …. price was 2200 ISK

Then I had the lamb both ways … one was pulled lamb and the other was 2 small grilled pieces …. the portions was more for a child and at 5200 ISK a bit disappointing …. even though it was tasty … the portion amount left me hungry.

Sister had a vegetarian salad …. good thing she had the starter version of this plate … she said it was good but nothing special … her plate was 2100 ISK ….

In all ... this was the most expensive meal we had and it was disappointing …. the service was great since we were the only ones there at 8:00 p.m on a Monday.

I'm sure we could eaten at a better place for the price of our meal ….

Not worth it …. best part of this experience was the Christmas store below the restaurant !!

We were the only ones there !!! The Christmas store below is awesome though !!!!!

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Bæjarins beztu pylsur: Cheap and good !!!!!

by jlanza29 Updated Oct 14, 2014

I must admit … I heard so much hype of this small shack, that I wondered if it would indeed be that good ….

the answer is YES !!!!!! I live in Chicago, and for anyone that knows …. Chicago makes a mean hot dog also ….

Icelandic hot dogs have a different flavor than their American counterparts because they’re made mostly from Icelandic lamb, along with a bit of pork and beef. Sheep outnumber humans in Iceland nearly two to one, so they’re a plentiful food source; turning them into hot dogs was an easy way to preserve the meat before modern food storage was available. Additionally, Iceland doesn’t allow the import of any live animals, so the lamb eaten today—which is free-range, grass-fed, organic and hormone-free—is just like the lamb eaten hundreds of years ago.

And of course I ordered one with everything … which brings raw onions, grilled onions, mustard and i added ketchup ….. It was indeed excellent ...

This is without a doubt the cheapest and fastest meal, I had while in Iceland … each hot dog was 380 ISK about $3 US

There was a small line of about 5 or 6 people when we walked by … but the line goes fast ….

Another MUST do while in Iceland !!!!!!

excellent !!!! we got 2 each !!!! very cool !!!!

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Forréttabarinn: Cool vibe, good starters !!!!

by jlanza29 Written Oct 14, 2014

There is no shortage of cool bars and lounges in Reykjavik … one of the nights were there we decided to try this place. And we were glad we did ….

Local on Nylendugata near the old harbor ... it's a combo place … restaurant on one side, cool hip, chic bar on the other …..

We were there a bit early for local standards … about 9 pm but the restaurant was already packed and the bar had several groups of locals having a good time ….

I had read that this place was known for it's starters on the menu … and it did not disappoint …. I had probably the best lobster soup of my trip to Iceland here … just perfect !!!! …. The drink selection was great and the staff and everyone we encountered were nice and excited to know we were having a great time in Iceland.

Prices were in line with other places we visited …..

I would recommend this place without a doubt !!!!

Cool vibe, friendly locals delicious soup with great Gull's beer prices were standard

Reykjavik Fish Restaurant: Excellent food, excellent prices

by jlanza29 Written Oct 13, 2014

Located on a corner near the old harbor … we ended up eating here twice since the food was really tasty and the prices were good and it was very casual restaurant …. The first time we went we had the standard fish and chips and it was really good, the second time we went we had an oven baked salmon over potatoes wedges … outstanding ….

I enjoyed the setting of the place ….

There is a counter as you enter …. you order your food ... sit down and then at a walk up table you get your utensils and bottled water and napkins ….

Prices are and dally specials are written on the chalkboard. Also they serve some delicious Viking beers !!!!!

Excellent and recommend it for a quick meal !!!!

counter to order your food oven baked salmon viking beer seafood mix

• jlanza29's Profile Photo

Lobster Hut: Sooooo fresh, soooo good !!!!!!

by jlanza29 Written Oct 12, 2014

Walking in the downtown area we stumbled upon this little gem ….

The Lobster Hut operated by a wonderful and friendly lady.

It was perfect the day we found it. We want something fast and boy we were so glad we saw this little shack.

The Lobster subs are to die for …. the lobster is so fresh it still feels like the ocean. The prices were great and she even takes Visa and Mastercard !!!

We enjoyed it so much we came back 3 more times during our visit to Reykjavik !!!!!!

Highly recommend it !!!!!!

SOOOOOO  GOOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! excellent prices

Café Loki: Traditional Icelandic food

by Regina1965 Updated Oct 10, 2014

Café Loki is a very popular restaurant in Reykjavík. It is located just across the street from Hallgrímskirkja church, which is one of Reykjavík´s landmarks. So just looking out of the window will give you a great view of the big church.

I have often met up with tourists there, not VT-members though, who wanted to try typical traditional Icelandic food. They wanted to taste rotten shark and the Brennivín "Black Death" and some other stuff they thought might challenge them ;)

Café Loki is on two floors, but I prefer the upper floor. There is an awesome painting covering half the wall on the upper floor. It depicts scenes from the the old Norse mythology, Ásatrú.

Opening hours: Monday-Saturday from 09:00-21:00 and Sundays from 11:00-21:00.

Favorite Dish: The menu consists of traditional Icelandic food, like fish stew, meat broth, home-made rye bread, trout, skyr, fish balls and other traditional dishes.

Rotten shark. The view from Loki of Hallgr��mskirkja church. Scenes from ��satr�� mythology. The whole wall is painted with scenes from ��satr��. Caf�� Loki.

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Hressingarskalinn: Local Icelandic cafe

by adelinemmc Updated Jul 31, 2014

Nice big cafe/pub with covered heated area in a side passage for smokers. It looks like they have live music on certain evenings.

Each table has a bell to call the waitresses, which is nice.

Menu is eclectic and with a big selection from burgers to pasta to soups with local stews as well. We tried one pasta dish with scampi (they call it lobster but it's scampi) and the fish soup. They were both very tasty and the portion size was good.

Beer on tap is Viking and the prices are reasonable (almost half of the prices of restaurants around the area).

Favorite Dish: Scampi pasta was bursting with flavours!

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

Volcano house.: A lovely café with a volcano cinema :)

by Regina1965 Updated Jul 4, 2014

I just loved going to Volcano house. All their furniture is made of teak, a Scandinavian design from the 1960's, which reminds me of my childhood :) A very nice atmosphere and friendly service. There is a play area for kids and there is a section of the café where there is a geological exhibition with different kinds of rocks found in Iceland. I have added a special tip on the geology exhibition at the Volcano house. And for sale are different types of pumice and candlesticks and jewellery from lava. And they are always expanding and making the café more interesting.

The café is family run, 4 siblings from Vestmannaeyjar run this café. All the cakes are home-made and yummy from what my friends, who tried them, say. I have met my coffee-club there and one VT-member and her husband, and we had a very good time. The view is also very nice as there are big panorama windows here.

There is a volcano theatre in the café, one film is on the volcanic eruption in Vestmannaeyjar islands when all the inhabitants had to flee the island in 1973, I remember that vividly. The film lasts from 20 minutes.

And another film on Eyjafjallajökull volcanic eruption in 2010 which the world remembers as that caused flights around the world not being able to set off and caused a lot of problems to millions of travellers, including me. That film also lasts for 20 minutes. I watched that movie and it was awesome - highly recommended.

These film run from 10-21 on the hour in English. And special shows in Icelandic and French can be ordered at any time. In the summer time the German show is at 18.

Volcano café also has a booking service for travels in Iceland.

The café is open from 09:00 - 23:00 every day of the week.

I give this café my best recommendations :) and especially recommend it to guests visiting Iceland.

Favorite Dish: When I go to cafés I just order tea, but they had a menu with cakes and pies, which my friends had, and recommended.

When I visited this café with a VT-friend in May 2014 this lovely café had closed and they were in the process of putting up a fish and chips restaurant. But the cinema is still there and the rock and lava collection.

Volcano House. Volcano House. Volcano House. The rock collection at Volcano House. The Volcano cinema.

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Kaffivagninn: Good seafood

by lotharscheer Updated Jun 25, 2014

A semi self service restaurant, you order and pay at the counter, take drinks and salads and cakes to your table, the fresh made fish will be served when ready.
    Lunch specials if you come before 1 pm, for instance soup and a quite large helping of breaded haddock with french fries for ISK 1900 or grilled salmon, shrimps, potato, salad and soup for ISK 2200.

Favorite Dish: I had a excellent fish soup consisting of salmon, shrimps and I think cod, quite filling, ISK 1890 before 1 pm and ISK 2290 later. The grilled salmon was also very good.

Kaffivagninn Kaffivagninn Kaffivagninn Kaffivagninn Kaffivagninn
    • Photography

• lotharscheer's Profile Photo

Lobster Hut: Lobster street food

by lotharscheer Updated Jun 23, 2014

Instead of the famous Hot Dog from nearby Bæjarins beztu pylsur (small Hot Dog is 380 ISKyou can have for a little more money Lobster, Lobster Sandwich depending on size 1000 or 1900 ISK, Lobster Soup 1200 ISK (well worth it).

Favorite Dish: I had the Lobster Soup, good taste, creamy and a fair amount of meat

Lobster Hut Lobster Hut B��jarins beztu pylsur Reykjav��k Reykjav��k
    • Photography
    • Whale Watching

• henry14's Profile Photo

Graenn Kostur: Excellent vegetarian food at reasonable prices

by henry14 Written Jun 10, 2014

Very good home made vegetarian food at reasonable prices, including a different fresh soup every day (highly recommend the broccoli and cauliflower soup on a cold day!). Portions are a decent size with smaller portions available if you prefer. The food is also available to takeaway. There are also lovely desserts if you have room left - including a fab chocolate raw cake. A good find for vegetarians but even my non-veggie companion enjoyed eating here. The prices are also very reasonable.

It is a bit tricky to find though as technically the address is Skolavordustigur (the road leading up to Hallsgrimkirkja from Laugavegur but its actually behind the main street - look for the green footprints on the pavement, on the block before the puffin giftshop. Worth the effort of finding!

Favorite Dish: The specials are usually good, the soup, spinach lasagne, curry etc.

• Regina1965's Profile Photo

Café Haiti.: Very friendly owners - excellent coffee.

by Regina1965 Updated May 4, 2014

Going to Café Haiti was a very pleasant experience. We just started a Facebook coffee-house group and our first choice was Café Haiti. The owners, the Haiti born, Elda and the Icelandic Methusalem greeted us with such warmth that we felt very welcome. We even got a demonstration from Elda on different stages of the coffee bean and got to try Arabic coffee and Turkish coffee in small cups for free. They burn the coffee themselves and specialize in dark coffee. What a lovely couple. Methusalem died in 2013, but the café is still open.

The coffee house is located in one of the ex-fisherman´s huts by the old harbour in Reykjavík. These huts now house coffee houses and restaurants and the ambiance there is so special, I highly recommend going there. In Café Haiti there are seats inside and a terrace outside as well and parking spaces.

Opening hours:
    Mondays- Fridays: 7:00-23:00
    Saturdays: 8:00-23:00
    Sundays: 8:00-2:00

Caf�� Haiti by the old harbour. Different stages of the coffee bean. Lovely Elda demonstrating coffeemaking to us. Inside Caf�� Haiti. Caf�� Haiti.

Icelandair Reykjavík Marina hotel café: A funky hotel café

by Regina1965 Updated May 4, 2014

I often meet up with friends at the café at Hotel Reykjavík Marina. This hotel belongs to the Icelandair chain of hotels and is brand-new, opened in the spring of 2012.

There is a fireplace in the lobby and we either meet there or get a table at the café. I must say though that I prefer sitting in the lobby by the fireplace. The decor at the café and lobby is fun, colourful and playful. This is not a traditional hotel and there are funny wooden sculptures in untraditional places. These statues are made by Aðalheiður S. Eysteinsdóttir and I have seen sculptures like these in other Icelandair hotels.

Slippbarinn bar at the hotel is also very popular.

My last photo is of the same kind of statues in Icelandair Hotel Natura.

Favorite Dish: We have coffee and cakes here. And sit by the fire with a glass of white wine during happy hour at the bar.

There is a lovely fire-place in the lobby. The lobby. ;) At the caf��, very cosy. In Icelandair hotel Natura by the domestic airport

• dassi's Profile Photo

Bæjarins bestu: Do not miss the Icelandic hot dog :)

by dassi Written Mar 25, 2014

Well if you wanna try something else in Reykjavik Iceland go down town to the Bæjarins bestu (Best in town) hot dog stand and grab one hot dog. It is very good and you can have all kind of things on it : raw onion,fried crispy onion,remolade (not sure of the english name of this sauce) ,ketchup and mustard.

Favorite Dish: One hot dog with all but raw onion :)

Instant Answers: Reykjavík

Comments

Reykjavík Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Reykjavík restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Reykjavík sightseeing.