Sports Events in Iceland

by acemj

Most Viewed Sports & Outdoors in Iceland

Snorkelling in the Silfra

by Krumel Written Sep 11, 2011

Not only can you walk through the rift of the American and Eurasian tectonic plates in the Þingvellir National Park, you can also snorkel through it!

We were a small group of 5 that met up on a rather gloomy and rainy day in Þingvellir for the afternoon snorkelling outing. The first adventure was to squeeze into the different suits we needed to wear for the trip. The water we were going to swim in is glacier water with a temperature of around 2 degrees. Any colder and it would be ice! So you want to make sure you're very well wrapped up, and in the end we looked like we were getting ready for a moonlanding mission, and our guide had the patience of a saint in getting everyone kitted out.

Eventually we made it into the water and with the air in the suits we were bobbing around on the surface like corks. Impossible to go under with this gear!

We were a bit worried that we would not be able to see much as the day was so dull, but as soon as we stuck our heads into the water the colours turned from dull grey into fascinating shades of blue and green. It was amazing to look all the way down through the crystal clear waters into the rift in the earth with its rocks and boulders.

After another foray into another crack that only opened up about four years ago we clambered back onto the shore and walked back to our cars. On the way back we passed a small pool and whoever wanted to do so could jump into it from the rocks.

Again this was another tour that we were very happy with, and can highly recommend. The only thing slightly negative thing was that my dry suit seemed to have small hole, as I could feel one arm becoming increasingly damp and cold during the swim.

Equipment: Bring warm clothes to wear under your dry suit (sweater, pants, socks) and a change of clothes.

Snorkelling in the Silfra Jumping into the pool
    • Diving and Snorkeling

Kayaking in a fjord

by Krumel Written Sep 11, 2011

Less than a hour north of Reykjavik is the lovely Hvalfjörður fjord, where we went on a very easy-going kayaking trip. We were lucky with the weather, and it was a sunny day with little wind and calm waters, just right for us kayaking beginners.

After we had all been kitted out with suits the guides checked that everyone was ok with their kayaks and off we went onto the water. After a bit of a wobbly start we soon got into the swing of things and it was very enjoyable to quietly paddle along and enjoy the mountain scenery all around. For lunch we stopped on a small island in the fjord, where we got a packed lunch, before heading off again back to our starting point.

This trip was great fun, the guides were very friendly and helpful, and I can highly recommend this trip for any kayaking beginners!

Sorry for the poor picture quality, they were taken with a cheap underwater camera.

Equipment: Bring your swimwear, a warm sweater and pants to wear under your suit, and a change of clothes.

Kayaking on Hvalfj��r��ur fjord near Hammsvik Hvalfj��r��ur fjord
    • Kayaking

Horseriding: Husey (Egilsstadir)

by Krumel Written Aug 1, 2011

We found this place through a leaflet at the Egilsstadir visitor centre, which advertised seal watching tours on horseback, so we booked a 2-hour ride for the following day.

If you want to get away from it all, this is definitely the place to go to. After a long drive on a gravel road you finally arrive at Husey near the river delta. The first to welcome us was a very friendly dog and its best mate, a cute little pet lamb. Aaawww.

I again got a lovely forward horse to ride. The other riders were families with kids, so the ride was a bit different to the adult rides that I had been on before. We still did a lot of tölting, the scenery was great and I was very happy with my horse. The only disappointment was that the seals were quite far away on a sandbank in the delta, when we had thought that we would be able to see them from much closer.

Husey farm also runs a hostel, and while we did not stay there and can't comment on what the rooms look like, just the location and atmosphere on the farm make it seem like a great place to spend at least one night at.

Equipment: As usual the helmets were provided.

Best friends

• Krumel's Profile Photo

Horseriding: Safari Hestar (Myvatn)

by Krumel Written Aug 1, 2011

Safari Hestar is a small family-run horse riding business near lake Myvatn. There were 6 people on our 2-hour ride, and care was taken to match everyone with a suitable horse, depending on their riding experience.

We had fantastic weather that day, and the scenery around the lake was beautiful. The guide was very good and pointed out lots of interesting things on the way, like old tyre tracks on the ground which was the old "road" from pre-automobile times.

We did quite a bit of tölting on this ride, which was great, and as my friend and me were experienced riders we were also allowed to ride ahead occasionally and go for a bit of a canter.

We had a brilliant ride, and I can highly recommend this place!

Equipment: Helmets are provided, and you can also get a mosquito net to put over your helmet if the midges around the lake become too much of a nuisance.

Horseriding: Eldhestar (Hveragerdi)

by Krumel Written Aug 1, 2011

I had booked a 2-day horseriding tour with Eldhestar, which is actually two separate day tours from their base near Hveragerdi.

On the first day there was only four of us, all experienced riders, and the ride through fields to a river delta where we had lunch and then back to the farm along the foothills of the mountains. After lunch there were some horse changes, and after the horse that I had in the morning needed a bit of encouragement here and there I had a very frisky and forward horse for the afternoon, and I loved her.

On the second day the group was much larger, and also included a number of beginners, which I was a little bit concerned about. However, as the tölt of the Icelandic horse is so comfortable, it is also easy for beginners to go at a bit of a faster pace. And as we rode up into the mountains the paths were sometimes very steep and narrow, and it was only possible to go in walk anyway as the horses were climbing up the slopes or crossing rivers. The scenery was much more dramatic than on the first day, and we stopped for lunch at some hot springs, where people could go for a soak in the warm pools, if they wished, and we had been advised in advance to bring swimsuits and towels.

Overall I found the rides very interesting and enjoyable. The horses were well trained and in good shape, and the guides were friendly and made sure that everyone was ok.

The only downside was that I had thought I would be riding with the same people on both days and that we would stay at the hotel as a group. But as it was two separate day tours it means that you will be riding with different people on both days. And as the three people I was riding with on the first day all left after the ride I was left a bit to my own devices in the evening.

Equipment: Helmets and raincoats are provided.

Bring swimsuit and towel if you go for the hotsprings tour, and possibly also a mosquito net for the head, as there are swarms of midges up there, which seem to aim for your eyes and nose, and are very irritating.

Lunchbreak near hotsprings Ready to go Bringing them in from the field

• bpwillet's Profile Photo

Diving Thingvallavatn

by bpwillet Updated Apr 4, 2011

Scuba diving in Iceland?!! Why not?:) There are few dive companies located in Reykjavik, Hafnarjordur, and Selfoss that operate a few diving excursion trips. The diving in Thingvallavatn is supposed to be amazing. There is a lot of wildlife and the visibility is incredible. There is a fissure that you can dive to and some of the companies incorporate that into their tours. Contact Eskimos (Tunguháls 19, 354-414-1500) in Reykjavik. Sportkofunarskoli-PADI Center (Grofinni 2, 230 Keflavik) and Artic Divers (Eskihlid 14a, 101 Reykjavik) operate tours also.

Equipment: Dry suits can be used in most areas but in Thingvallavatn a 7mm suit will be appropriate.

Thingvallavatn lake diving
    • National/State Park
    • Diving and Snorkeling

• hat53's Profile Photo

Hiking on the glacier

by hat53 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I have fear of heights and went hiking on a glacier. If I had known before what we had to do, I would never have gone up the mountain.
    But I did it and it was amazing. The blue ice, the view on top and walking on spikes. I had a great guide how helped me with the descent. We were not tied together with a rope, but I felt completely safe.
    Maybe, just maybe if we ever go back I'll go up again.

Equipment: It is cold up the glacier, but don't over dress. You wil get warm/hot by walking over the ice.

Soon we were up there
    • Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

• dassi's Profile Photo

Go river rafting in Iceland

by dassi Updated Apr 4, 2011

A good place to go river rafting. If you go there and have they offer you to jump from the rock , do it. I did it (and I am so afraid of hights) and it was so great..

Equipment: A towel and some clothes to change.

• 2rs's Profile Photo

Heitapottur - Hot tubs and heated pools

by 2rs Written Aug 7, 2008

Public geothermal heated baths. The Blue Lagoon is not the only place to soak up in a nice heated pool. Theres public baths all over Iceland. Their website has a nice map-tool for finding their locations,

Equipment: Bring your swimwear no matter what time of year you're visiting.

• Spa and Resort
    • Beaches

• kucha's Profile Photo

Laxnes Horse Farm

by kucha Written Feb 26, 2007

Riding Icelandic horses has to be a highlight of any trip. The horses at this friendly farm outside REykjavik are inredibly responsive and easy to ride for people of any age and ability. The trail rdie is easy terrain, but starkly beautiful. The horses can go ask quickly or as slowly as you like and finishing up in the warm farmhouse kitchen with soup and homemade bread was a delight!

Equipment: The farm has absolutely everything a rider needs: helmet; wam snowsuit; gloves; even boots, should that be needed.

• dharmabum222's Profile Photo

Hiking, Trekking, Backpacking...

by dharmabum222 Written Jun 11, 2005

Iceland is ideal for hiking, backpacking and trekking. I was only headed to the car in this shot...but we did our share of day hikes and probably covered 15 miles on foot by the time we were done....bring hiking boots and get out there!

nicole and her sanford and son backpack

• DetroitJason's Profile Photo

Caving, Climbing and Water.

by DetroitJason Written Feb 27, 2005

The Arctic Rafting Company also had another option for me. I drove with them to a place surrounded by rolling hills, waterfalls, and mountains and glaciers. I had to climb up rock walls, swim against strong currents, climb up more walls, and jump down water falls. We gradually made our way up a series of terraced waterfalls that began inside the back of a small mountain. The water was 4*C (about 39*F), but the air was warm.

Equipment: The equipment was provided by the company, and included your helmet, lifevest, boots, dry top, and bib style wetsuit.

I would recommend bringing neoprene gloves as well because your hands are freezing cold and they might start to hurt.

• Adventure Travel

• DetroitJason's Profile Photo

Caving, Climbing and Water.

by DetroitJason Written Feb 27, 2005

River Rafting

by DetroitJason Updated Feb 27, 2005

I used the Arctic Rafting Company to do some rafting about 2 hours outside of Reykjavik. I got picked up at my hotel and had a blast. The company is run by a group of young guys that will guarantee you a great time. The water was a little cold, but it was great. Games are also played in calm moving water. It was probably the best rafting trip I have been on.

Equipment: I did not have to bring anything but my swimsuit. The westsuits and gear were supplied by the company.

• Rafting

• JLBG's Profile Photo

Two days later !

by JLBG Updated Nov 28, 2004

Two days later, JohnOGroots appears on the horizon ! In the mean time, there has been a short stop if The Feroes where we were lucky to watch a yearly celebration full of colors. Have a look at my Faroe islands page.

Now Iceland is over, back to Scotland first and later home !

• Eco-Tourism

Instant Answers: Iceland

• MegMoli's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Whale Watching in the West Fjords - Eagle Fjord
    this is just great. Jon will take you outside Bildudalur´s bay to see the whales that are visiting the Icelandic coasts. This is magic, few people and all the experience and stories from this ex-fisherman. This is for me much better than in Reykjavik where you are packed on the boat. It definitly worth it.

Iceland Sports & Outdoors

Reviews and photos of Iceland sports & outdoors posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Iceland sightseeing.
Map of Iceland