Vík í Mýrdal Things to Do

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Sólheimajökull Glacier walk

by adelinemmc Written Jun 3, 2013
    Glacier in the rain....

We did this tour with Icelandic Mountain Guides (Sólheimajökull Exploration Tour IMG12) starting from the end of road 221 near Skogar.
    It's a 3 hours or so tour with crampons and was pretty good if you don't want to take an all-day tour.
    The weather was not good but we still had a good time with the guide giving us plenty of time for photos & pointing at all the interesting things while taking good care of us.
    We did not pause for food as the weather was so bad so all in all had a 2.5 hour tour rather than 3 hours but that was fine for everyone.
    It's suitable for all fit persons, there is no technical stuff such as climbing etc.

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Puffin watching at Dyrholaey

by adelinemmc Updated May 28, 2013
    Puffin!

Note that access to the last kilometer or so before the cliffs is closed at night according to different times of the year to protect the birds.

In late May access was open from 8am to 7pm.

For best chance of seeing puffins, go as late as possible in the evening. During the day puffins seems to be at sea. We saw 2, both between 18:30 and 19:00.

Bring your camera and binoculars to enjoy the full experience. Lots of seagulls as well burrow in the cliffs so binoculars are good to scan the burrows to spot the puffins. Tip: look for flashes of orange from their feet.

• Birdwatching

• jmpncsu's Profile Photo

by jmpncsu Written Apr 20, 2013
    T��in - The Door Hole

Dyrhólaey is a 120-m high promontory that sticks out into the ocean just west of Vík and is the southern-most point in Iceland. We visited here on our South Coast Tour with Iceland Guided Tours. The name Dyrhólaey means door hole island, although it is not truly an island. There is an arch in the promontory (the door-hole) and boats up to 30 tons can get through in the right conditions. Just off the coast are several sea stacks, giant pillars of lava rock that shoot up out of the sea. And the Reynisdrangar stacks near Vík are visible to the east. Just below the cliffs is a black sand beach with another cool stack called Arnardrangur. Dyrhólaey is also a great place to see birds. Puffins, arctic terns, gulls, and eider ducks all nest along the cliffs. Dyrhólaey is a protected area and the preserve is closed to the public in early summer when the birds are nesting. The road leading to it is pretty rough. We didn't drive since we were on a tour, but the guide told us it was best to have 4WD. But if you have the right vehicle or go on a tour, it is an incredibly beautiful place.

• Birdwatching

• jmpncsu's Profile Photo

Reynisfjara Beach

by jmpncsu Written Mar 6, 2013

Reynisfjara Beach

Reynisfjara beach is a beautiful black sand beach under Reynisfjall mountain with beautiful basalt columns. We visited on our South Coast Tour with Iceland Guided Tours. And of all the great things we saw on our tours in Iceland, I think this was my favorite. In addition to the gorgeous beach and mountain, there was a large colony of puffins nesting high in the cliffs and walking down the beach, we could see these delightful birds flying about from the nests to the sea to catch some fish. A bit half way down the beach is a large vaulted cavern called Hálsanefeshellir. The cave is not deep, but its really beautiful surrounded by basalt. And there are several other caves along the beach here too. The beach continues down to near Reynisdrangar, the sea stacks that are easily seen from Vík. It's interesting how different they look from a different angle.

Despite the natural beauty, Reynisfjara can be dangerous. The water is extremely cold, the waves are unpredictable, and the rip currents are strong, so don't go near the water. Our tour guide told us that several people have died by getting too close to the water. When we visited, the tide was out so it was possible to walk all the way down the beach. If the tide is in, it will not be possible to go very far on the beach. It is possible to become trapped in the caves when the tide comes in. Our tour guide also warned us that fall rocks are a hazard, particularly in the caves, so don't stop an have a picnic under there. But despite these hazards, it is definitely a spot worth visiting. Just visit when the tide is out and stay a safe distance from both the mountain and the sea.

• Beaches

Visit Skogasafn Folk Museum

by melanief Updated Apr 4, 2011

These turf homes date back to the 1800s

I toured the outdoor folk museum as well as the Communications Museum. The school and the folk museum were in founded in 1949. Sod farm houses have been restored and rebuilt on the museum grounds. The church is a replica of old country churches. The Communications Museum was opened on July 20th 2002. Both the outdoor museum and the communications museum were very enjoyable.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo

Sk?garfoss

by seamandrew Updated Apr 4, 2011

Picture courtesy of Kent L?rus Bj?rnsson

Unfortunately, we didn't have enough time to stop and take the pictures I really wanted to take at this magnificent waterfall. After spending nearly 30 minutes at the Seljalandsfoss, my travel team decided we couldn't afford to spend more time here. So most of the pictures I got were from the side of the road and quite blurry considering the overcast weather. As such I had to borrow a picture until I can return and take my own, proper photos.

This preserved waterfall stands about 60 meters high and is part of the river Sk?g?. Legend has it that an old settler named ?rasi, hid away a chest full of gold behind Sk?garfoss.

• amazingclick's Profile Photo

by amazingclick Written Sep 12, 2009

Dyrh��laey

From Vik...you can go to this place called Dyrhólaey. It is a short drive from Vik from where you can see all the rocks whch Vik is essentially famous for. There are some great rock formations in the sea and some good views to see. If anyone has been to Australia, it is essentially like the 12 apostles outside Melbourne.

• a5floor's Profile Photo

Walk on the beach

by a5floor Updated Jun 3, 2008

Walk on the beach

After you walked to the Reynisdrangur, you can have a walk on the beach. The sand of the beach is black and you will have incredible views. Unbelievable!!
    I had to bring this black sand to my Swiss penpal as she is a sand collector.

• a5floor's Profile Photo

Reynisdrangur

by a5floor Updated Jun 3, 2008

Reynisdrangur

Just walk on the beach and there they are: the Reynisdrangur. The Reynisdrangur is a rock formation that is rising out of the water. They look like fingers coming out of the water. The highest 'finger' is 66 meter tall. It is great to see this massive rocks coming out of the water.

• melanief's Profile Photo

Hike to the top of Skogafoss

by melanief Updated Dec 5, 2006

Skogafoss

While visiting this area, I viewed the waterfall Skogafoss, you can hike up alongside the falls and get a great view from the top. After I viewed the falls and the museum, I traveled on to Vik where I enjoyed lamb chops for lunch. Very delicious!

• melanief's Profile Photo

Check out the black sand beaches

Black sand and lava rocks beach at Vik �� M��rdal

I grew up in Florida, and I am used to the sand on the beaches being a very pale color, so these black sand beaches were quite unique. I enjoyed just walking on the beach, I did not find any seashells like I would have in Florida.

Get your feet wet

by melanief Updated Sep 13, 2006

Waterfall near Seljalandsfoss

Yes, it was very cold! and yes, I was kinda crazy to do this, but I enjoyed it. There is a waterfall within walking distance to Seljalandsfoss that is unique in that it is sort of enclosed like a cave. You can walk into the cave area and view the falls coming over the edge of the mountain. The only way to get back there is to walk through the water; and it is very cold. I took my boots off and rolled up my jeans and walked back into the cave. I stayed just long enough to take a good look around and take a quick picture. By then, my feet were screaming at me "Get out of this cold water!" I only wish my photo had turned out better because it was really beautiful back in there.

**Please be careful if you choose to do this, the water is extremely cold and the rocks that you are walking on have slime growing on them making the trek quite slippery.**

Walk behind Seljalandsfoss

Seljalandsfoss

Seljalandsfoss very beautiful 130 feet high waterfall on the Seljalandsá River. There is path at the bottom of the cliff which enables you to walk behind the waterfall. The day I went, it was too windy and I would have gotten wet, so I did not go behind the falls. This fall is within a few miles of Skogafoss, it is definitely worth taking time to stop and explore.

Visit Vikurkirkja

Vikurkirkja

This church is called Vikurkirkja. It was designed by one of the first Icelandic architects, Gudjon Samuelsson. He also known for his most recognized work, the Hallgrímskirkja church in Reykjavik. I did not go inside the church, but it is beautiful inside if you have the time to stop and go inside.

• mplessers's Profile Photo

The Skogar Folk museum

by mplessers Written Jun 28, 2005

Ancient boat for coastal fishing

The museum is a nice collection of artifacts. All collected by one man. The museum is well organized although some items are packed together, but hey this is a real museum!

The museum also include old grass-covered houses and a historical church.

If you pass here, you should enter the museum and buildings. A great way to learn details about iceland.

• Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Vík í Mýrdal

Comments

Vík í Mýrdal Things to Do

Reviews and photos of Vík í Mýrdal things to do posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Vík í Mýrdal sightseeing.