The Cliffs of Moher, Doolin

by rcsparty
  • Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Cliffs of Mohr

by Krumlovgirl Updated Apr 4, 2011

Everyone has to see the cliffs. They are breathtaking. Hike to them from Doolin. It's about 8 miles, but sometimes you can con a ride from a tour back to Doolin once you get there. Almost every tour company stops for lunch in Doolin after visiting the cliffs. They really are a site to see, although you will encounter plenty of tourists, souvenir carts, and various groups on your way up. If you happen to be there on a clear day you can see the Aran Islands. I've always been lucky when it comes to the weather, but I have heard that on really foggy days you can't even see the edge of the cliff so you might want to consider that when planning your trip and kind of play it by ear.

• Adventure Travel

• Waoife's Profile Photo

by Waoife Updated Apr 4, 2011

Stay away from the edge!

The highest cliffs in Europe, the Cliffs of Moher are one of Ireland's most popular tourist spots and a must see for people visiting the Doolin area.

The best time to see the cliffs is outside of the busy Summer months when hoardes of tourists flock to see them but even in Summer if you walk a bit up or down the Cliffs from the main car park you will be rewarded with stunning views and avoid the worst of the crowds

There is a small visitor centre (free) selling souvenirs with a coffee shop & toilets although if it's food you're looking for I'd save my money and head for a pub in Doolin or one of the other towns in the area.

The charge for using the carpark is €2.50 per car.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Updated Dec 23, 2009

The sun comes out

The Cliffs of Moher (in Gaelic: Aillte an Mhothair) are located in the parish of Liscannor at the south-western edge of the Burren area near Doolin, which is located in County Clare, Ireland. Since the Cliffs themselves have no VT location, they need to be listed under County Clare or under Doolin.

I had never heard of these cliffs before my trip, but I was certainly was glad I had come because it was beautiful. As of June 2009 the Cliffs were in 5th place in the Seascapes section of the "New Seven Wonders" competition.

The cliffs rise 394 ft above the Atlantic Ocean and boast one of Ireland's most spectacular views. Try to come when it is a clear day. It was clear when we were there and the sun came out which made it much nicer. I could not only see and photograph the puffins nesting on the rocks below (one of the most unusual of the 29 species that are there), but also could see the Aran Islands and Galway Bay. I actually could photograph Inisheer (which is one of the Aran Islands Lighthouses) in enough detail to identify it.

You can also turn around and look at the Irish countryside

Since we were on a bus tour, we didn't have to book tickets but the website on the Cliffs now allows you to book tickets on line at a 15% discount.

• Birdwatching
    • Eco-Tourism

• Cliffs and Aran Cruises

by chilismom Written Jun 1, 2008

The Jack B passing An Bhreann��n M��r

As I live in Ireland, I know that Cliffs and Aran Cruises have a combo trip to visit the Aran Islands and view the Cliffs of Moher all in the same day. The boat is named the Jack B . It is a very good service direct from Doolin Pier to the Aran Islands. I have to say it is a most enjoyable trip.

• Sailing and Boating
    • Cruise

• rcsparty's Profile Photo

Breathtaking

by rcsparty Updated Feb 16, 2008

Breathtaking is the only way to describe the Cliffs of Mohr. Walking to the edge of the cliffs is definately not for people that are afraid of heights. One person in our group actually had to go back to the car just from watching the rest of us stand on the edge, especially when I walked to the edge along the grass parts. I've heard they have added some more fencing since, so that may not even be possible anymore. This is a must stop on your trip through Ireland. Make sure you lay on the ground, with your head over the edge, it is a very cool perspective.

• leplaya's Profile Photo

by leplaya Written Oct 20, 2006

These cliffs are amazing. It’s a very touristy place, but it is worth it. We walked to them from Doolin (it took a few hours), but it was worth it. If you’re walking, be careful, since you will be sharing the road with cars (driving very fast). There is no separate walking trail. The Cliffs are under renovation (as of June 2006) and a wall has been built separating people from the cliff’s edge. But while we were there, people were jumping the wall and hanging out at the edge of the cliff. Becareful if you go near the edge, since strong winds have been known to blow tourists off the cliff before. There is parking lot near the Cliffs and Bus Eirran stops here from many nearby cities. There is a gift shop and restaurant close to the Cliffs.

• National/State Park

• leplaya's Profile Photo

Walk to the Cliffs

by leplaya Written Jul 20, 2006
    view of the Atlantic on the walk to the Cliffs

The walk from Doolin to the Cliffs of Moher is about 3 miles, but it feels longer than that since it’s mostly up hill. The walk is along the Burren Way, but the entire way is along a paved road. It is a little annoying to have to move to the side for cars moving by (and there’s a lot since their also going to the Cliffs). But the walk is very beautiful and throughout it you get a great view of the villages around and the ocean.

• EllenH's Profile Photo

We had a clear beautiful day!

by EllenH Updated Mar 5, 2006

I guess many people experience fog or rain but we were so lucky. Our B&B guy (Noel O'Connor, Twin Peaks) was also the local taxi driver. He drove us up to the cliffs and we walked back the 5 or so miles to town. What an incredible experience. At the top you have O'Briens tower which I had to see as i am an O'Brien. It was not open in January, oh well that was ok. It was VERY windy up there. It cost a few euro to park but it cost nothing to see the cliffs so it was free for us. There is a nice gift shop and tea room in the visitor center.

• leics's Profile Photo

New interpretation centre......................

by leics Written Feb 17, 2006
    Cliffs of Moher

..............being built, so expect a massive building site if you visit the cliffs this year. I suspect it's horrendously busy in the season, so try to visit early or late in the day. Worth seeing though.

• cat-alunya's Profile Photo

Holy S%*t!

by cat-alunya Written Feb 11, 2005

The Cliffs of Moher

The Cliffs of Moher simply must be seen to be believed.
    Go, if you're in the area- even if you're in the country- just go!
    And yes, I was adventurous and climbed to the edge on my stomach and hung my head over. Now I understand Vertigo. And it was a stupid move. Lots of people die each year from getting too close to the edge of the stoic cliffs. The wind is always fierce and can easily push you like a stab in the back, so I don't recommend doing that stupid thing I did.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Great place for a suicide pact

by sourbugger Updated Sep 1, 2004

My name is Rocky

By far the most impressive attraction in County Clare are the Cliffs of Moher. You can tell where they are by the impressive selection of tour buses in the car park as you approach via a small country road covered in double yellow lines.

This is of course designed to make you cough-up at least 2 Euro 50 for the car-park.

At least entry to the cliffs is free.

Once you avoid the "diddly-diddly" buskers (I think there is an Irish law which says there must be at least two at every Irish tourist site) on the approach path, the Cliffs themselves are quite breathtaking.

There are a couple of lookout points (O'Briens tower) that you can then walk to in order to get a slightly different view.

The tourist board claim they are the highest cliffs in Europe, but this would seem just a little contentious to say the least.

• Birdwatching

• Alain_Smeets's Profile Photo

See the beauty of the Cliffs trough the fog.

by Alain_Smeets Updated Sep 12, 2003

O'Brians tower in the fog (photo Dirk)

See the Cliffs of Moher (Ailltreacha Mothair), the name comes from a ruined fort, Mothar, which was replaced by a signal tower during the Napoleonic wars.

It’s a natural barrier where the Atlantic can show his might during a storm. The are in some places 215m above sea level and they stretch over a length off almost 8km.

You can visit O'Briens tower to see even the Aran Islands and the twelve Bens of Conemara, but then you need to have a clear day.

We had the luck that we had a big fog hanging over the Cliffs of Moher. When we approached the cliff car park, the fog get thicker and thicker and we even passed the entrance before we saw it. We got out, jumped into our jackets and we went to see a glimpse of the cliffs. But we didn’t see anything their except the fog and now and then an opening. We went back in the afternoon and it was the same story. But now we could see the sea sometimes, but we couldn’t get any impression of the grandness of the cliffs.

The Cliffs of Moher

by Ash59 Updated Aug 5, 2003

The Cliffs of Moher, County Clare, Ireland

The Cliffs of Moher can be found between the villages of Doolin and Liscannor on the R478. Look for a car park on the side of the road that is closest to the sea and you have found these stupendous acts of nature. Be warned that the car park costs 3 euros during the day, regardless of how long you are there. However, if you like the sea and enjoy lovely views, it is well worth the money.

The cliffs drop vertically down to the foaming sea; are up to 700ft (215mtr) high in places and extends 5 miles (8km) along the coast. It is home to loads of different types of birds; guillemots, puffins, choughs and kittiwakes, to name a few. It is made up of dark yellow sandstone and millstone grit, the layers of which can be seen near the top of the cliffs.

• School Holidays

The Cliffs of Moher at night

by Ash59 Written Jun 29, 2003

Sunset at the Cliffs of Moher

We found that the car park was free after 6pm (not certain if this is all year long – I am sure that they charge for the car park later into the evening during the summer) so I took the opportunity to sit out on a very windy and cold cliff to take this photo of a sunset. I think it was worth it, though, don’t you?

Within the car park, there is a visitors centre, shop, tearoom and, best of all, public toilets. These can be few and far between in this area of Ireland, so make full use of them!

Warning!

by Ash59 Written Jun 29, 2003

Chancer

As stated, O’Brien created a wall to protect any visitors to the area, which has been maintained and is still in place, to this day. This can be seen in the first picture.

Don’t be an idiot like this guy and clamber over it, onto the cliff edge, just to get a good photo. In certain spots, it is possible to look along the sides of the cliffs and a lot of them have crumbled away underneath and the land that you stand on could just be an overhang waiting to fall into the sea, so taking chances like this is just not worth it.

• School Holidays