Monk's Pub in Ballyvaughan, County Clare

by sabsi
  • donpaul77's Profile Photo

Monk's Bar: Known for it's seafood

by donpaul77 Updated Apr 4, 2011

I suppose no trip to the Burren is complete without a stop in a Monk's Pub in Ballyvaughan. As you you might expect from a pub located on a coastal road, Monk's is known for it's seafood. It is pleasant inside and certainly family friendly. There is also a beer garden for those nice days. Of course it is a busy place, due to it's prime location.

Favorite Dish: If you like shellfish (which I don't, but my affianced does), try the seafood platter. I had a sirloin steak, and as I mention elsewhere on these Ireland pages, Irish beef is excellent.

UPDATE 3-3-09: Many of my local friends have told me that the quality of Monk's food has gone downhill. I have noticed this myself. Even a local pub owner directed us away from Monks, telling us it wasn't very good anymore. Instead we went to Linnane's Lobster Bar in New Quay, which was absolutely great.

• rexvaughan's Profile Photo

Monk's Pub in Ballyvaughan: Great name for a town, don't you think?

by rexvaughan Written Aug 8, 2005

Rex & Pat

I had read before this trip that the best seafood chowder to be had in Ireland was at Monk's Pub in Ballyvaughan. With that recommendation and the name of the town how could we not go there. Not only was the chowder all it was supposed to be; we also enjoyed it in front of a real peat fire with our friend Pat and washed it down with you know what.

Favorite Dish: Just had the great seafood chowder and some wonderful Irish bread, but it was outstanding. Go for dinner in the evenings and you will likely be treated to some great music as well.

• Monk's Pub in Ballyvaughan: Seafood and Guinness

by sabsi Updated Nov 25, 2002

A stone wall in the Burren

A true seafood pub. They hardly serve anything else (so I didn't have a lot to eat as I don't like fish too much). My boyfriend had an open prawn sandwich though and he loved it.
    The brown bread tasted homemade...

Favorite Dish: The bread. Wonderful Irish brown bread!

Instant Answers: County Clare

Comments

Other Restaurants in County Clare