Cliffs of Moher, County Clare

4.5 out of 5 stars 4.5 Stars - 36 Reviews

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

by sue_stone Written Jul 11, 2004

Cliffs of Moher

The Cliffs of Moher are one of Ireland's most famous sights.

They are spectacular, entirely vertical cliffs that rise to over 200 metres in height.

As they are so popular, it can get pretty crowded and we had trouble taking a good photo, due to the crowd and the harsh light.

• globetrott's Profile Photo

O'Brien's Tower

by globetrott Written Sep 19, 2005

O'Brien's Tower at the Cliffs of Moher

O'Brien's Tower was built already in the 19th century by a local farmer for the many tourists, who came to see the famous Cliffs of Moher. You will have to pay a small fee and then you may climb up the steps in order to have a better view of the landscape around, but I am not sure, if I could recommend it or not, as the cliffs are even further away than at places, where you may walk directely along the cliffs - free of charge !
    To step up O'Briens Tower might make sense on a clear day, when you want to have a better view of the Aran-island !

• Hiking and Walking

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

by MalenaN Written Mar 26, 2013

Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre

The Cliffs of Moher Visitor Centre is situated next to the car park. It is mainly an underground building in the hillside and it blends in very well with the surroundings. In the visitor centre there is a gift shop, bathrooms and two cafés. There is also an exhibition, The Edge. The exhibition is about the cliffs and is shown with four thems; ocean, rock, animal and man. The Ledge is an audiovisual theatre.

I came to Cliffs of Moher on a daytour from Galway and in the price of the tour a ticket for the visitor centre was included (6 Euro in February 2013). As it was a sunny day, though cold, and as we didn’t have more than 1h and 15min at the cliffs I was not interested in spending time inside. Only on the way back to the bus did I go inside for two minutes to have a quick look. To visit the cliffs doesn’t cost anything.

• globetrott's Profile Photo

The walk along the Cliffs of Moher

by globetrott Written Sep 19, 2005

The walk along the Cliffs of Moher

The walk along the Cliffs of Moher is the main attraction for the tourists, BUT only at a very few places you may look down the dangerous cliffs, that have a hight of 200 meters at some places.
    No matter how far you walk along the cliffs of Moher, you will NEVER have a chance to find a path going down to the shore!
    The best place to look down the cliffs and maybe see some birds is next to the parking, where you may lay on the floor and look down !!

• Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

by MalenaN Written Mar 26, 2013

Cliffs of Moher

Cliffs of Moher is one of the biggest tourist attractions in Ireland and it is easy to understand why. It is a spectacular sight to see the high steep cliffs above the Atlantic Ocean. At the highest point the cliffs are 214m.

I had hoped to go here independently and to hike along the coast for some hours, but unfortunately the bus connection between Galway and Cliffs of Moher was not god on a Monday in the end of February, so I ended up on an organized day tour instead. The promised 2h at the cliffs turned out to be 1h 15min, so not much time for hiking. When leaving the bus I went straight up to O Brian’s Tower, a round stone tower from the 19th century from where there are good views over the cliffs. There was an admission of 2 Euro to enter so I skipped it and walked back to follow the path above the cliffs to the south instead. In the beginning of the trail a new path has been constructed next to the old one, which is closer to the cliff edge, and between them there is a stonewall. A bit further away there is no stonewall and the path goes quite close to the edge. Unfortunately I had too little time to hike all the way to Hag’s Head.

• Cruefan's Profile Photo

Nature At it's best

by Cruefan Updated Jun 6, 2005

Cliffs Of Moher

The Cliffs of Moher were one of the highlights of my trip. The cliffs are about 650 ft and go straight down. There are signs ner the cliffs saying that several people are killed every year because they stand too close to the edge.

There is a car park ( 4 Euro) and a gift shop and cafe before you walk up to the cliffs. We walked up to Obriens tower ( It costs 1 Euro to climb up) and saw great views of the cliffs from there. I'd give the cliffs 5 stars

• Theme Park Trips

I Guess I'm Expendible!

by Bwana_Brown Updated Feb 1, 2004

Checking out the Sandstone Slab

Before my wife would venture out to the very edge of the cliffs, I had to go on a little scouting expedition! Here, she holds the high ground while I check out the rock platform that allows the view hundreds of feet down to the Atlantic Ocean! It really was fun to lay there watching the birds wheel and listening to the sounds of the wind and waves! Also thinking about 'I hope the cliff does not decide to crumble away a bit more at this particular moment' !!

O'Brien's Tower

by Bwana_Brown Updated Sep 10, 2005

O'Brien's Tower on the Headland

O'Brien's Tower and the visitor parking lot mark the approximate centre of the Cliffs of Moher natural attraction. This photo was taken from the south, showing how the 700-foot cliffs dwarf this observation tower that was built in 1835 by Cornelius O'Brien, a wealthy descendant of the High King of Ireland. Even at that early date, hundreds of tourists visited this site and O'Brien was a strong believer in tourism. He felt that its development would help both the economy and the well-being of the local population. The ridges of sandstone, shale and siltstone are also clearly visble in this shot.

Hanging Over the Edge

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 27, 2007

Looking Down at 'Breanan Mor'

At the far end of our morning walk along the Cliffs of Moher, we came to this sandstone platform that had been worn away by the elements. It was an exhilarating experience to walk (or should I say creep) out to the end of this slab and then to peer over its edge at the sheer drop into the Ocean below! The pinnacle protruding from the water is a 70-metre (200-foot) chunk of rock known as Breanan Mor. As with the cliffs themselves, it is made up of ridges of sandstone and siltstone which are, in turn, covered by thousands of birds nests. On the headland is O'Brien's Tower near the tourist centre. This particular moment was the best of this trip and is one of my all time greatest travel memories!

• SarahEire's Profile Photo

Cliff of Moher

by SarahEire Updated Nov 28, 2003

Cliffs of Moher

The Cliffs of Moher (also known as the Great Wall of Thomond) are situated near Liscannor and are a must for any visitor to Ireland.

The Cliffs stand at 214 metres at there highest point and are 8 km long

Opening Times:
    The Cliffs have a visitor centre which includes an information centre, a crafts and souvenir shop and a tea room.
    Open daily March - October 10.00 am - 6.00 pm
    O'Brien's Tower opens daily May - Oct. 10.00 am - 6.00 pm

You would be mad to miss them!!

• Dabs's Profile Photo

by Dabs Updated Aug 24, 2009

Cliffs of Moher

The next stop after lunch in Doolin on the tour was the Cliffs of Moher, an 8 km wall of stratified rock that rises vertically out of the sea to a height of 710 feet. As we were piling off our bus, our guide told us that she wanted us to stay to the right, she had 54 people on the bus coming there and she wanted 54 going back with her and she certainly wasn't coming in after us should we get blown off the cliffs. So I started off going right and climbed up the right hand set of stairs to the top, the sun was shining but all of my photos taken towards the south turned out to be a bit hazy as I was shooting into the sun. You can climb to the top of O'Brien's tower for an even higher view, there's a 2€ admission fee to do that, drat I left my money on the bus. You can also take pictures to the north from here, those turned out a bit clearer but the view not as dramatic.

I walked back down the right hand stairs and started up the left hand stairs, it is a safe paved walking path up to a point. When I got to the signs that said "Please Do Not Go Past This Point", I stopped along with 3 or 4 other people who also knew how to read. If I must be completely honest though it wasn't the sign that stopped me, I do have this *minor* fear of heights things going on and that path is right at the cliffs edge and we only had an hour for the whole visit and my time was running short.

If you are just viewing the Cliffs of Moher and come by bicycle or on foot, it is free to visit, if you drive there, you will have to pay to park in their lot, currently it is 8€ per car. We only had about an hour at the Cliffs so I didn't have time to even look inside the visitors center to see what was there, there is also a charge for that which is what is listed on the website under Book Tickets.

If you've seen the movie "Princess Bride", the Cliffs of Moher were used as the Cliffs of Insanity, I may need to go back and see that movie again.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

by Bilimari Written Sep 22, 2005

Just amazing!

This beautiful cliffs are about 8km long and rising to a height of 200m out of the sea.
    Even on the sunny day, the wind can be very strong. If you like the thrill, step over the slate bariier and down onto the stone platform. I didn't go up to the edge of the cliff to look down the water, instead I enjoyed watching the birds flying, people playing folk music (selling their CDs), etc. When I visited there the weather was very nice, and I could see the Alan Islands from the cliff.

There is a gift shop and a cafe by the parking lot.

If you have time, you can go to the Hag's Head in the south, or up North to the O'Brien's Tower, where you can enjoy the best view of the cliffs.

• chrissyalex's Profile Photo

by chrissyalex Updated Apr 26, 2003

The Cliffs of Moher

Well, we made it! The Cliffs of Moher! One of Ireland's most visited sights and rightfully so! The cliffs are about five miles long and my pictures just don't do them justice! They are huge and it is neat hearing the waves crashing and seeing the gulls flying around them.
    Parking is at the visiter's center and you pay as you leave. I don't remember the exact cost, but it was around 2 euros.

• hevbell's Profile Photo

CLIFFS OF MOHER

by hevbell Updated Mar 11, 2005

cliffs of moher

At the bottom of this picture you can make out the bit of cliff which juts out just below O'Briens Tower. There are big signs warning visitors not to cross over the wall but very few people seem to pay any attention. If you're not a big scaredy cat like me then you can crawl to the edge, lie on your stomach and look over the edge of the cliff to the sea below. I lasted about a second! Instead I just sat further back and took in the scenery. As my friend said, its a fantastic place just to clear your head. Be warned though, bits of the cliff have been known to give way.. You can also follow a path up to the top of the opposite cliff.

• hevbell's Profile Photo

CLIFFS OF MOHER

by hevbell Updated Mar 11, 2005

Cliffs of Moher

One of the most stunning sights in Ireland, and consequently one of the most heavily visited, the Cliffs of Moher stretch for approx 6 miles from Hags Head in the south to just north of O'Briens Tower with as much as a 700ft drop in some parts! Its a beautiful place though and I would go back there in a second. Especially if its a nice clear day to make the most of the views.
    There is a car park just south of O'Briens Tower at the visitor centre which costs around €2.50, plus a cafe & souvenir shop

Instant Answers: County Clare

Comments

Hotels Near Cliffs of Moher
3.5 out of 5 stars