Safety Tips in County Clare

Please don't bother reading the sign...
    by Dabs
    Dangerous cliff ledge
    by Dabs
    Warning sign in seven languages
    by grandmaR

Most Viewed Warnings and Dangers in County Clare

• BSneed's Profile Photo

The Cliffs of Moher: Hidden Danger As Well...

by BSneed Updated Jun 30, 2013

When my wife & I were at The Cliffs of Moher in the fall of 2010, we noticed the same occurrences of many people ignoring the signs and climbing over the low fence for a better look or photo. As we were looking south down the coast we saw a couple of young guys heading to the edge. I noticed that the thousands of years of erosion caused the cliff to be 'carved out', so it wasn't straight down. The last 8-10 feet on top (toward the edge) is only grass growing over thin air! From above, it appeared to be 'terra firma'. As they were heading closer, we yelled at them to STOP! They did so as we ran over to tell them what we saw. When they followed us back to where we had first seen them, their faces went white. Not sure, but I think we may have saved a couple of unsuspecting young tourists from a disastrous end to their holiday...

• Photography
    • School Holidays
    • National/State Park

• B&B costs not falling even though many others have

by jimhyde Updated Mar 10, 2011

Despite the widespread reduction across prices in many areas of Irish life, there's been little fall in B&B prices in Co Clare. Many B&Bs around Lough Derg are still in the range of €37 - €40 per person per night sharing - despite B&Bs in Cork, Dublin and Limerick dropping their prices to near €30 per night per person sharing and, more importantly, very very good deals being available from many hotels (never pay rack-rate, always ask a better deal - you'll get it.) This is very disappointing as, around Killaloe in particular, you can feel held hostage by a very nice person demanding a large fee for a small room furnished in cheap pine, with nothing more than the usual free teabags and instant coffee. Considering that basic food prices (especially wholesale, at which B&Bs cost their food) haved dropped more than 40% in Ireland (thanks to the arrival of Tesco, Lidl and Aldi everywhere), it's annoying that B&Bs haven't shown us the love too. And before anyone complains, I've gotten B&B nights (without breakfast) in Dublin in the last 4 months for under €40 a night! Co Clare is too expensive!

• Singles

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Don't fool with Mother Nature

by Dabs Updated Aug 24, 2009

Our guide stressed over and over that she wanted us to stay to the right, no sense in getting ourselves blown off the Cliffs into the waters below. Part of the way up to the left is paved, she was referring to the section that was blocked off with a big sign that said "Please Do Not Go Past This Point" which was duly ignored by scores of people who looked at the sign, read the sign and then climbed over the sign.

Now I didn't really want to go flying off the cliff into the sea should a sudden gust of wind come along, however unlikely that might be with all of the fish and chips and full Irish breakfasts I had been eating. So I stopped and let all the other folks risk life and limb for a better photo, besides it seemed to me that since I would be standing on the cliffs that I couldn't actually see the cliffs.

To be fair, I didn't see anyone get blown over the side while we were there and it's proving difficult to find any statistics online that point to the number of deaths either by accident or suicide. But it's a loooooooong way down, I certainly wouldn't recommend heading to that part if you are having any recent maritial problems or if your spouse has recently taken out a life insurance policy on you....

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Crumbling Cliff Edges

by grandmaR Updated Jun 25, 2007

The second photo in this series has a sign in Gaelic, English, French, German, Italian, Polish and Spanish which says:

"The Cliffs of Moher are a protected and fragile habitat and the cliff edges are constantly eroding.
    For your own safety and for the sake of the environment DO NOT climb over the walls onto the cliff edge."

The third photo shows signs along the cliff edge opposite. The week before the new visitor's center opened in February 2007 two deaths highlighted how dangerous the Cliffs of Moher are. Though the fatalities apparently were not due to an accident but are treated by Gardai as a murder-suicide.

• Birdwatching
    • Hiking and Walking
    • Eco-Tourism

• globetrott's Profile Photo

a nice stop-over BUT not worth a Dublin-daytrip

by globetrott Updated Sep 19, 2005

The Cliffs of Moher seem to be well known by tourists all over the world and watching the ireland-forum on VT, I saw that plenty of people intend to go there EVEN though they have only a single day left, when visiting Dublin or other places all over Ireland.
    It does NOT make sense to drive that long distance
    just in order to see the Cliffs of Moher and nothing else !!
    As soon as you pass by that area anyway, when you explore the scenic Westcoast,a stop at the cliffs is a great idea to take a little walk at the coastline, listen to the live-music of the local musicians or buy their casettes or CDs at the shops.
    There is a big parking (where you have to pay a parking-fee !!) a toilette, shops etc.
    Combine the Cliffs of Moher with a visit to the unique landscape called "BURREN" - see pics of it under "Off the beaten path"

• Hiking and Walking
    • Adventure Travel
    • Photography

• chrissyalex's Profile Photo

Read the Sign!

by chrissyalex Written Apr 26, 2003

Well of course, you have to be careful at the cliffs as the sign states. That really goes without saying.
    Another thing to be a little careful of in County Clare are some of the roads in the Burren region. Some are very winding and narrow and on both sides there are stone walls,so there is no shoulder. Being it was our first day and we weren't used to driving on the left, it was a tad stressful ,but we survived. The good thing about all this is that at the end of the day, we were used to it and when we drove on similiar type roads on the Dingle Peninsula the next day, it really did not seem that bad.

• Deefstes's Profile Photo

The Cliffs of Moher are high

by Deefstes Written Feb 25, 2003

Take care, the Cliffs of Moher are very high (200m) and it has happened that people have been blown over the edge by surprise gusts.

Here is a picture of me having slipped of the cliff. As I dangled there, holding on for dear life, I managed to hand my camera to a passer by so he could get my picture before he heroically saved me.

• wadekorzan's Profile Photo

Beware of narrow roads

by wadekorzan Written Sep 3, 2002

Some of the roads are so narrow that cars can only travel in one direction. Don't go too fast especially when you cannot see on coming traffic.

County Clare Hotels

10 Reviews - 45 Photos
Killimer Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: County Clare

Comments

County Clare Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of County Clare warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for County Clare sightseeing.
Map of County Clare