Blarney Castle Warnings and Dangers

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Beware Falling Objects

by Ekaterinburg Written Jul 27, 2007

Unidentified falling objects in Blarney

Despite warnings, it is common for items such as small change, or other things frequently kept in pockets, to fall from the sky in Blarney. This happens as people lean back to kiss the stone and if you are below , staring straight upwards ( taking a photograph perhaps ) you would be directly in line.

On my recent trip I was taking photographs on the north side of the castle when something plummeted through the air and landed at my feet - a pair of expensive sunglasses. I looked up but nobody was looking down and eventually I picked up the glasses and carried on with my explorations. I brought them to the main door expecting someone there who I could give them to but the door was not attended by anyone. At that point I put the glasses in my bag to hand them in at the gate as I left and for the moment forgot all about them. Shortly afterwards a crowd of young Americans sitting on a bench nearby were laughing and joking and I heard the words ' I'd had those glasses for years'. One of them was not wearing sunglasses and yes, his girlfriend had dropped them over the parapet. He was really excited to be reunited with them and I think they thought it was a little Blarney magic. By the way this story IS true, no blarney here at all ! The second photo shows the owner of the glasses happily reunited with them.

• Castles and Palaces
    • Architecture

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Traffic and the Danger of Falls

by grandmaR Updated Apr 24, 2012

Traffic warning sign

They really do think that we need to be told about traffic all the time - and it is true - we do. Looking right to see the oncoming cars closest to us is not a habit we have yet.

But they don't warn us about the novice drivers, which are noted by an "L" on the car for Learner (photo 3). Perhaps they should have a big "T" on the car for TOURIST so that other UK drivers who are calmly minding their own business on the correct side of the road (for them) would be warned.

The second picture shows the admission charge, and says the last admission will be 30 minutes before closing time. The sign on the right says:

WE ACCEPT NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE OR INJURY CAUSED
    TO PERSONS OR PROPERTY. VISITORS ENTER ENTIRELY AT THEIR
    _____________________OWN RISK___________________________

TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS WITH A VIEW TO SELL OR MAKE COMMERCIAL
    USE OF ANY KIND IS STRICTLY FORBIDDEN

NO DOGS ALLOWED
    _________________________________________________

Before the safeguards were installed, the kiss was performed with real risk to life and limb, as participants were grasped by the ankles and dangled bodily from the height. Now, to kiss it, one just has to lean backwards (holding on to an iron railing) from the parapet walk.

• Study Abroad

• the climb to the stone

by stemc Written Apr 26, 2006

If you are infirm or bad on your feet and do not like enclosed spaces then be a ware that to get to the blarney stone you have to climb medieval stone spiral steps and if there is a long queue this can take up till an hour in a enclosed environment half way up you can make a exit by going into some rooms that are floored and find the steps down

Instant Answers: Blarney Castle

Comments

Blarney Castle Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Blarney Castle warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Blarney Castle sightseeing.

View all Blarney Castle hotels