Live Music, Cork

Know about this? Rate It!

Mark and I at An Crúiscín Lán
  • evaanna's Profile Photo

An Spailpin Fanac: Trad sessions in a pub

by evaanna Updated Jan 31, 2014

The musicians

My stay in Ireland would have been incomplete without a visit to a pub with live traditional Irish music. So imagine my delight when on the last night of my stay Katherine offered to take me to such a session. She drove me to the city centre, having first checked which pub had live music on that day. The pub she chose, whose Irish name means 'a wild rover', was exactly what we had hoped for, not too crowded and quiet enough for the noise not to spoil the music. I had my first pint of Guinness there and found it excellent. I forgot to try Murphy's, the locally brewed stout, it might have been even better. There was a group of Americans already there waiting for the music to start so we joined them. By the time the band started to play all the seats were taken. The music was great, mostly traditional Irish jigs and reels, just what I would have liked to hear. There was no singing but perhaps there might be some on another day. For me, it was a fantastic evening, one of my dreams come true. Thanks Katherine!
    The sessions are held every night except Saturdays. There is no admission charge. The music starts about 10 pm.
    Like in all pubs in Ireland nowadays smoking inside is forbidden.

Dress Code: Informal

• Beer Tasting

• Elena77's Profile Photo

Live Music: An Crúiscín Lán

by Elena77 Updated Dec 29, 2008
    Mark and I at An Cr��isc��n L��n

An Crúiscín Lán is a nice pub at the centre of Cork with lots of live music- normally there will be bands playing every night from Wednesday to Saturday. But beware: we’re not talking about traditional Irish music. There might be some traditional music events as well, but the pub focusses on Rock and Metal music. Many more or less well known bands have played at the venue within the past years- both national and international. Admission fees vary and are dependent on the popularity of the artist. Tickets for bigger events can, among others, be booked via: http://www.tickets.ie
    I’ve been there with the band back in May 2008 and very much enjoyed the concert. An Crúiscín Lán offers a friendly, relaxed atmosphere with nice staff. Drinks aren’t too expensive and there’s a fair variety. Sports events are also shown on the pub’s big screen.
    This pub’s a great place for people with a bit of a particular musical taste. ; ) If you’re into Metal or Rock music do check their home page for upcoming events.

Dress Code: No dress code

• Festivals

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Traditional pubs: Slainte!

by Tripack Updated Nov 12, 2008

During my Cork stay, I would act as locals act! Lucky me, the VT meet give me the opportunity to discover the finest traditional pubs of the city of course ;-) On Friday evening the pub An Spailpin Fanach welcomed us in a relax athmosphere with live traditional music and several pints as usual ;-) On Sunday afternoon, we went for a gig at the small but bustling Charlie's close to the Town Hall. Just relax and Slainte!

• fivesilver's Profile Photo

The Corner House: Live Blues, Rock n Roll

by fivesilver Written Feb 20, 2006

Thursday nights at the Corner House are one of the best sessions of live music you'll get anywhere. Try to get there by 10 - after that it gets pretty crowded.
    What more can I say? JUST GO! You absolutely won't regret it.

Dress Code: No dress code

• sexylady's Profile Photo

Here is a list of Pubs I...

by sexylady Written Aug 25, 2002

Here is a list of Pubs I recommend in the Cork city area.
    An Crannog,Bar Rumba,Readrdans,Le Cheile,The Oyster,The Bodega.All these are minutes walk from each other.
    These bars play live chart music.The bodega and Le Cheile are beautiful laid back bars,very stylish.My fav's.

• zorlack's Profile Photo

Pubs are really popular in...

by zorlack Updated Aug 25, 2002

Pubs are really popular in Ireland. There are many pubs and clubs in Cork. At night, the streets are usually empty, but the clubs and pubs are jamin with lots of young energic people. There are also quiet and laid back pubs were more mature crowds hang out at. Lots of other business are closed by eight o'clock in the evening. So, all there is to do is to go pubbing in Ireland.
    Pubs are usually made from old houses. Many of them are historical buildings. They have a bit of attention with their historic appearences. Many serve the same drinks and beers. Others on the other hands, brew their own kinds of beers. People in Cork are really friendly to visitor from all over the world.

Dress Code: There are no dress codes at many of the clubs or pubs in Cork. Some people dress to impress and others dress causal.

• There are plenty of pubs and...

by drxym Written Aug 24, 2002

There are plenty of pubs and clubs in Cork and you'll find them no matter where you go! If you head for Washington Street, Oliver Plunkett Street, MacCurtain Street and the surrounding areas you'll find high concentrations pubs and clubs of all varieties, ranging from trendy to traditional with clientele of all ages. Nightclubs tend to be a bit more hidden, but they're abundent. Amongst them are Havana Brown's (upstairs from Reardons pub), Cubins, City Limits, Sir Henry's and 8 or so more who's names escape me.

Dress Code: Dress anywhere in Cork is general smart dress (smart jeans are acceptable) and shoes. Trainers are not acceptable and are likely to get you turned away especially if the doorman takes exception to you in some way. Certain nightclubs have a target audience so dress appropriately, for instance Sir Henry's is a student/grunge dive so don't turn up in a dinner jacket!

Instant Answers: Cork