Places to eat in Cork

Curran's
    Inside Curran's
  • The Electric Restaurant on St. Patrick's Day
    The Electric Restaurant on St. Patrick's...

Most Viewed Restaurants in Cork

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Electric Restaurant: A pub with a view

by Airpunk Written Jul 7, 2013

The menu has a focus on pub food, seafood and mediterranean kitchen. There are several special offers like happy hours, 2 for 1 etc. , occassional live music can be found here as well. Have a look at the so-called „Fish Bar“ where you get a good variety of seafood. The Fish Bar is only open a few days per week, check the website for more details on that. Sounds like something for me, but I was there on the wrong day and therefore only had a sandwich. At least I can say that it was of good quality.
    Another big plus is the view from the restaurant. There are terraces on the ground and second floor as well as a large window front. They offer you a good view over River Lee and St. Finn Bar's Cathedral.
    Good place to dine out, but surely not the cheapest place in town.

The Electric Restaurant on St. Patrick's Day The Electric Restaurant The Electric Restaurant

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Greene's at Isaacs: Michelin Standard - Superb

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Oct 16, 2011

Treating my student Niece to dinner I wanted to bring her someplace really special. After all, we were in the City that was home to my Alma Mater and where she was now the poor but brilliant student.

Until now my favourite eatery had been Jacob's on the Mall, but I had been there so many times that I was anxious to tantalise our tastebuds with something more special. Trawling the internet (and thank goodness for the net) I happened upon Greene's and was immediately enticed by both the website and the menu. I don't know about you, but I start to salivate the moment I read a particularly special menu, and this was one of the best.

Situated on McCurtain Street, it's close to the railway station on the Eastern exit from the City. I found parking outside, but I was lucky as the streetside parking spaces were mostly full.

The restaurant is down a short but stunning laneway that's part of the Isaacs complex consisting of a Hotel, Greene's restaurant, and a more casual eatery called Isaacs, which I have previously reviewed. As soon as you enter the gateway to the lane your ears are filled with the sound or falling water and as your eyes adjust to the light you find yourself in a magical place. Pld fashioned cobblestones lead you along an olde worlde alleyway, carefully lit in a yellowish green light. Wooden tables and chairs scattered along here provide a haven for smokers and drinkers alike. At the back of this alleyway a three story high facade of natural rock has been transformed by a man made waterfall, floodlit in blue. Pots of plants abound and the whole atmosphere is one of magic.

Inside the atmosphere is rather different - rustic yet modern, the place is buzzing and once you taste the food you can see why. We sat in the bar area studying the menu, then were brought to our table which was in a very cosy but spacious corner area....almost like a booth. We were beside a window looking out onto a very quaint, almost 19th century street.

Favorite Dish: The food is beyond wonderful. I started with

The Magical fairytale entrance The bar area
    • Wine Tasting

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Scott's of Caroline Street: Wonderful Food, Excellent Service, Great Prices

by SabrinaSummerville Written Oct 9, 2011

Looking at my watch with pangs of hunger assaulting my insides I realised we were long past standard lunchtime restaurant service hours. Cork in the recession is not like it used to be. Times were you would find your favourite restaurant open round the clock but that's a distant memory.

So we found ourselves on the lookout for a good spot with good food.......and we stumbled on Scott's. With a frontage on Caroline Street, Scott's is just a stone's throw from the General Post Office. As soon as you walk through the doors and immerse yourself in the busy hum you realise you're in the right place. The aroma of delicious carvery food filled my nostrils and I quickly found a nice comfy seat in spite of the fact that the place is almost full to capacity.

At the carvery there was a good selection and I quickly opted for the baked salmon. Mum had the roast half chicken. I paid for both, at a cost of €21 for the two, and was surprised and delighted to discover the cost included a complimentary hot beverage.

The plates were piled with a very large helping of meat/fish, crispy potato wedges, mashed potato, and three veg. Add to that the sauce or gravy of your choice from the menu and I found I was very well satisfied. Indeed, Mum couldn't finish her meal because she was so full.

This gastropub is to be highly recommended.

• DAO's Profile Photo

SUBWAY: THE SOURCE OF ALL FOOD IN CORK

by DAO Updated Apr 4, 2011

If they closed down all the Subway Sandwich shops in Cork, half the population would surely starve. There is even one in the arrivals at the airport so you can start eating Subways right away. They seem to have half of all restaurants in the city and if Mr. Subway (pictured) catches you eating any local Irish food he will chase you! OK, seriously he only chases and beats bad children and he really does not give any vouchers out. The details below are for the BEST subway in Cork – on South Main Street. It is on the same small street as the Beamish Brewery and stays open until about 3am in the morning! Really! I came out of the pub, worse for wear, and had a mouth-watering fresh & hot meatball sandwich I could barely finish. Great work Subway people!

Also pictured: the South Main Street and other locations in Cork.

I was afraid to type this. Yes, the Subway man is holding a sandwich board.

Favorite Dish: A footlong meatball with cheese (toasted) and served with ‘the Works’ on a cheese & herb roll. You must have jalapeno peppers on it!

MR. SUBWAY. EAT AT SUBWAY OR HE WILL BEAT YOU! YES !!!! OPEN LATE NIGHTS OPEN - 3 A.M. 3 A.M.
    • Beer Tasting
    • Business Travel
    • Study Abroad

• Rachael71's Profile Photo

Kopi Cafe: When in Blarney...

by Rachael71 Updated Apr 4, 2011

We called at the Kopi Cafe for lunch when we went to Blarney for the day, and we sorry that we weren't able to return for an evening meal there. The sandwiches and the coffee we had were excellent, but the entertainment provided in the evening would have been something special. The restaurant regularly holds concerts, recitals and jazz evenings (I think the place is owned by a trained tenor). If you're in the area and are able to go along at night time, I suspect that the Kopi Cafe would provide an experience to remember.

• WhispersWest's Profile Photo

Butler's Chocolate Cafe: Chocolate, Decadent Chocolate!!!

by WhispersWest Updated Apr 4, 2011

a branch of the famous Dublin chocolatier, serving a signature hot chocolate as well as lattes, cappuccinos, and mochas. All drinks come with a complimentary piece of handmade Butlers chocolate. Cakes and buttery croissants are also on the menu

Favorite Dish: Their hot chocolate is unbelievable! The first time I tasted it, I was amazed at how rich the chocolate taste was, with just a hint of nutmeg and cinnamon to enhance the cocoa.

• Women's Travel

• An Cruibin: For Those Who Still Believe In Sundays...

by theauthor71 Written Feb 4, 2011

One must have a willingness to indulge in contemporary feeding to fully appreciate FLESH on Sundays at An Cruibin. Cast a sheep’s eye over recent menus and you may gain enough power to break from the self imposed internment that Sundays have become for many a poor sinner in this ancient city.

Pigs Head, Teriyaki Shark, Mountain Lamb, Seared Swordfish, Black Sole and Pheasant are but some of the fare on offer here and drowned best, with quality, although some might say, a little expensive, deep red wines. There are of course, several vegetarian options chalked up on the board, but this night, of all nights, is a homage to Meat.

Union Quay can be a dark and seedy area down by the City Docks but the warm glow of the red lamp and the sweet sound of The Roi Et Club is a welcome signal for many a foodie on a Sunday night. Expect to see smoochie couples, sexy singles and laid back internationals.

Favorite Dish: Teriyaki Shark, Its Fab!!

• Music

• Claudilla's Profile Photo

The Quay Co-op: Vegetarian delight

by Claudilla Written May 31, 2010

Gorgeous fresh food at reasonable prices. You can eat in or take away, which made me chose this place to eat in for several times in a row.. sometimes little one was too tired to sit in the restaurant, so grabbed a couple of dishes.. or better a selection and took it to the hotel.
    It was never boring nor disappointing. I think the place in itself it's worth a visit to Cork !
    If you decide to eat in bright paintings from local artists will keep you company, together with orchids, plants & a beautiful view from the window.

• AusPinay's Profile Photo

Blarney Woollen Mills Cafe Express: Authentic Irish Coffee in a Cosy Setting

by AusPinay Written May 23, 2010

The main attraction for tourists here is the classic Irish coffee- made with a bit of Irish whisky and cream served in a tall glass! I tasted a little bit, it was ok, I am not into alcohol so hubby got lucky indeed! He loved it so did my son!

My youngest & I sampled some local pastries and they were delicious- the brownie was such a big slice, we shared it too! There were freshly made soups, scones, jam, etc.

The service is really quick too so we had plenty of time to enjoy our snacks after a stressful time climbing up the Blarney Castle to kiss the stone!

The interiors were cosy, typical Irish- with solid wooden tables and chairs and a fireplace.

Favorite Dish: the pastries and cakes were really good, Irish coffee was enjoyed by my hub & eldest son

Authentic Irish coffee inside enjoying our snacks the facade of the cafe
    • Architecture

Amicus: International food

by Dabs Updated Aug 24, 2009

We decided not to rely on the guidebooks for our 2nd dinner in Cork, instead we asked a clerk at a local bookstore and another clerk at a shop on Paul Street, both of them recommended Amicus as a good casual place to eat.

There's a small section of outdoor dining and a larger area indoors where we ate. Since it was Saturday, there were no prix fixe meal deals. Service was quick and pleasant.

Favorite Dish: The menu has a large variety of food-sandwiches, salads, pizza, pasta and entrees. I ordered a bbq chicken and bacon pizza (€12.95) which was quite good and David had a calzone (€13.95) which was good and enormous in size although he did manage to finish it, then again he had just competed in a 1 1/4 mile swim race so I guess he had a bit of an appetite.

Dinner for two before tip was €36.60

BBQ chicken pizza Calzone

Bully's: Substandard Italian

by Dabs Updated Aug 24, 2009

Our 1st visit to Cork was Friday night before the swim race, we relied on our guidebook to choose a restaurant, Rough Guide had a good review of Bully's and we were looking for Italian so we stopped here. There were quite a few tables full, some with people who appeared to be going to the nearby opera as they were very nicely dressed.

Favorite Dish: We ordered from the pre Opera prix fixe menu, 16.95€ for two courses. The choices were limited to just a few selections, not the whole range of the menu. I started with the Atlantic seafood chowder, it was bland with huge chunks of fish. My entree was Sicilian Chicken
    Scallopines, chicken, panfried with mushrooms, onions & roast peppers in tomato and white wine sauce on top of spaghetti. Sounds good on paper but the sauce tasted like Chef Boyardee from a can. My husband's meal was just as disappointing, his bruschetta was bread, tomato and melted cheese, his entree of chicken with peppers and mozzarella was very basic. I didn't even bother taking a picture of our entrees, it really wasn't anything I needed to share.

Dinner for 2 was 34€ before tip.

Bruschetta Atlantic seafood chowder

Fast Al's: Pizza by the slice

by Dabs Updated Aug 18, 2009

We were looking for something quick and not too heavy for lunch so we stopped by Fast Al's for a slice of pizza. We were the only ones there on a Saturday around noon, there are just a couple of seats for dine in. I'm not sure exactly where we were, I know it's not the location on South Main Street. It was next to Counihan's bar so I think this is the GPO location.

Favorite Dish: We both got a slice of pizza, they were 3.50€ each. The pizza was fine but nothing remarkable.

Fast Al's

• Bombay Palace: Delightful Indian Cuisine

by Grenache Written Mar 16, 2009

I visited this restaurant in March 2009 with a business colleague.

We were made most welcome by the owner, who took time to explain the dishes and advise about ingredients (I have a food allergy).

Service was attentive without being intrusive, and the food delicious.

Favorite Dish: We tried a Lamb Achari and a Chicken Adraki - both were excellent!

• Business Travel

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Marketlane: A trendy restaurant

by Tripack Updated Nov 10, 2008

A trendy restaurant with a welcoming bar. Very convenient if you need to wait the next available table. In case you are a group as we were with the VT team, upstairs tables are large enough to accomodate up to 15 hungry VTers... Unfortunately the cook team were not very efficient to follow the cadence, I think they are victim of the success may be they would accomodate to many hosts in the same time and the quality of service was not on rendez-vous... I choose a sirloin steak, 10oz with chunky chips, chimi churri and grilled mushroom with a pepper sauce. But the cooking time was too long and my meat was very very very well done :-((( I was a little confuse with my french culinary vocabulary when ordering as I though that well done means in fact medium... so an useful reminder for french gourmet:
    bleu = very rare

VT entertainement

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Isaacs Restaurant: A tasty cuisine

by Tripack Updated Nov 10, 2008

One of the most busiest restaurant of the MacCurtain Street. We were just lucky to find the last table to enjoy a tasty dinner. The menu offer various choice of meal accordind to your taste and appetite. I choose for a warm chicken salad with smoked bacon, avacado & sauté potatoes. Service was efficient. Quantity and quality were optimal and reasonably priced. So a must taste during your Cork culinary tour ;-)

Isaacs entrance A long running tradition...

Cork Hotels

Ibis Cork East
1 Review & Opinion
The Gresham Metropole Cork

Instant Answers: Cork

Comments

Cork Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Cork locals.
Map of Cork