The Bulman, Kinsale

Near Charlesfort, Kinsale

Know about this? Rate It!

• The Bulman: the *** Bar

by mileslong Written May 7, 2006

I live in Manchester England. Every year I take my elderly mother to Kinsale for a few days break. Last autumn we walked from Kinsale round by the river to the Bullman. We arrived at 12 noon. As it was a beautiful sunny day we asked whether it would be possible to order two sanwiches to eat outside. The girl behind the bar curtly informed us that this was not allowed, and if we wished to eat, we had to do it in the bar or in the restaurant upstairs. We just had two drinks and sat on the bench outside. About ten minutes later a couple who were clearly locals and on good terms with the staff arrived. They also sat outside, and were promptly served by the same girl at their table outside. Our surprise at this was soon to be surpassed...a few minutes later a cascade of water poured down onto our heads. I looked up to see the landlord on the balcony above our heads watering some plants attached to the balcony. I shouted up to him that he was soaking us, and he caught my eye, laughed, and carried on. As my mother is 75 and in poor health, I was understandably not happy, yet he continued. We departed shortly afterwards. I have to point out that I am 6ft 4ins, 17 stone, and a ju-jitsu expert....I also have to say the staff at every other establishment in Kinsale were kind, friendly and welcoming. I can recommend Jim Edwards restaurant if you want great food, especially seafood or steaks, get there before 8.00pm if you want a table. My mother and I will be returning to Kinsale on 10th May 2006. On a point of principle we will be revisiting The *** Bar, as it is known to locals. On a point of principle we will sit outside, ask whether we can have two sandwiches outside etc. If there is any unpleasantness towards us, I will of course, on a point of principle, take great pleasure in knocking the landlord's lights out. My advice is to steer clear of this establishment if you value decency, service or hospitality.

Dress Code: n/a