Jim Edwards, Kinsale

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 5 Reviews

Market Quay, Kinsale 353 21.477.25.41

• Jim Edwards Seafood Restaurant, Kinsale, Co. Cork
    Jim Edwards Seafood Restaurant, Kinsale,...
    by Prem925
  • Jim Edwards
    by abelliot
  • Jim Edwards
    by Ekaterinburg
  • dilleight's Profile Photo

Jim Edwards: Somewhat overrated

by dilleight Updated Sep 25, 2008

This restaurant was certainly popular when we visited on a Saturday night in September. We only had to wait for half an hour to get a table in the bar and we liked the busy yet relaxed atmosphere. The food was nice but quite pricey for a pub- around 16 Euros for a main course. Personally I didn't think it was special enough for the price. The people at the next table certainly did not enjoy their meal- they complained that the fish was microwaved. I'm not sure I believe them however and my partner felt they were chancers trying to get free food!! Of course these prices are not unusual for Ireland but I thought we got better value for money when we ate the early bird set menu at Max's Wine Bar at 25 Euros for 3 courses.

• Jim Edwards, Kinsale: This place is wonderful!

by Prem925 Written Mar 31, 2008
    Jim Edwards Seafood Restaurant, Kinsale, Co. Cork

Kinsale was our first stop on a 10-day trip that followed the coast from Co, Cork all the way to Co. Mayo. Without any dooubt, Jim Edwards was the best food we had anywhere in Ireland. The atmosphere was pleasant and the service was terrific. The seafood chowder is among the best we've ever had and it's not cream-based (they use the prawn shells to make the stock). The salmon with prawn appetizer was also terrific - the prawns cooked perfectly and the salmon amazingly delicate. Our main courses were rack of lamb and monkfish with a basil sauce. Everything was excellent including the vegetables. Anyone who suggests that the vegetables were undercooked probably uses a pressure cooker. As far as freshness of the seafood; this is a seaside town and the restaurant itself is within 3 blocks of the pier and they get the seafood off the boats daily. Go to Kinsale and talk to the local B&B owners. They'll tell you that they recommend Jim Edwards to everyone with good reason - it's a great restaurant with never a complaint.

Favorite Dish: The seafood chowder - hands down, no contest.

• Jim Edwards: Not as good as led to believe!

by shoganster Updated Mar 20, 2007

Having never been to Kinsale - the culinary capital of the south-west - before made a reservation at Jim Edwards on the basis of reviews I read on Virtual Tourist, all of which were very positive! I also checked out the menu of the restaurant during the day. The interior of the restaurant is nice for a typical ('American Style') seasside steak/seafood restaurant. It was very busy and I was sure we were in for a good meal... What a disappointment :( For starters we seperately ordered Chowder and crabclaws. The chowder was fine, but the crabclaws weren't fresh and tasted clightly off. The sauce they came with wasn't very nice either. For the main we seperately ordered scallops and breaded scampi. The scallops also were not fresh - lacking in taste and rubbery. The sauce was not very nice either. The scampi was more bread than scampi and lacked taste. Our main course was accompanied by very undercooked vegetables, bland garlic potatoes and uninspiring chips (fries). To top it all off, the 40EUR sancere we ordered was sweet and lacking in distinction. All in all an uterly disappointing meal - which was meant to be the highlight of our weekend in Kinsale. The poor quality of the seafood in a harbour town was unacceptable - the meal overall was terrible. Total cost (including wine, minus tip) = 82EUR! In Belgium you would eat like a King!

Favorite Dish: I suppose the chowder and the bread that came before the meal!

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo

Jim Edwards: A Good Downtown Option

by Ekaterinburg Written Jul 27, 2006

Jim Edwards is a large bar and restaurant in Market Street in the centre of Kinsale. It's frequently crowded at lunchrtime and very popular. Again, seafood is most popular here but they do a pretty good steak also. The starters are very good and their pate with cumberland sauce is the best I've tasted anywhere.

Favorite Dish: My favourite dish here is definitely the haddock in beer batter served with thick chunky chips and delicious salad.

• abelliot's Profile Photo

Jim Edwards: Great Food

by abelliot Written Nov 10, 2004

I was recommended to eat at Jim Edwards by all the locals in a pub which I can no longer remember the name of. I made the silly error of a landlocked american of asking which seafoods were fresh. Of course the waitress promptly informed me with a raised eyebrow that "All of them are local and fresh." Well since this method didn't narrow down my choices any, I decided to go with the scallops. They were wonderful as was the entire meal, served with potatoes, three vegetables and a wonderful brown bread that I give almost anything to know where to buy it and how to make it. They had a nice wine selection, including 1/2 bottles which was nice as I was dining alone. As it seems that tourist season was winding down at the time I was able to get a table quickly but you might be advised to book ahead for a Friday or Saturday night during the summer. The price for the dinner was 24€ and the 1/2 bottle of wine was 8€ . Expect to spend 30-40€ per person for dinner.

Favorite Dish: The scallops were wonderful and I can't imagine any of the other dishes being less spectacular.

Instant Answers: Kinsale

Comments

Hotels Near Jim Edwards
4.0 out of 5 stars