Places to eat in Kinsale

Most Viewed Restaurants in Kinsale

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

The Little Skillet: Very nice restaurant in Kinsale

by travelfrosch Updated Jul 15, 2006

A cozy, gourmet restaurant with lovely seafood and good service. It's especially nice if you're tired of fried food. Good portions and fresh vegetables keep you satisfied and healthy.

Favorite Dish: Save room for dessert. The chocolate-brandy mousse is to die for.

OK, so it's not healthy. Personally, I think chocolate should be added as one of the food groups.

Dino's: Great Fast Food

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Apr 4, 2011

Dino's, just at the seafront, is a great chipper cum restaurant. The dual premises occupy the same site, but are separated both inside and by way of their entrances.

We opted for the chipper side - for those uninitiated, a chipper is a fast food outset selling burgers, chips, fish etc. for consumption off the premises. As soon as you enter the premises you can see that they go the extra mile - that is, if their decor and attention to detail is anything to go by. The premises are fitted out in rich wood panelling with stained glass inserts depicting shoals of pretty fish.

The three of us ordered the chicken and chips snack box - two pieces of chicken with chips. I was impressed. The danger with fast food is that it's often greasy, but this was not. The chips were freshly made a cut locally from new potatoes. The southern fried chicken had a tastily seasoned coating with plenty of meat underneath.

Service was pleasant and prompt and prices are reasonable at about €6 per person.

Jo's: Coffee House Perfection

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Jun 12, 2010

Sometimes you find a great little spot simply because you want to use the facilities. I always buy a coffee or a water as an excuse to use them, and it was on such an occasion that I discovered Jo's.

Adjoining a guest-house of the same name, this is a cute cafe serving home made cakes, lunches, and some excellent coffee and chocolate drinks.

I couldn't resist the hot praline chocolate as I had never tried it before. It was a rich cup of creamy milky praliney chocolate served with a mini paper-case of chocolate drops in white, milk, and dark varieties. It was a generous serving topped with choc shavings and I relished every sip.

The interior is small but not crowded and prices are displayed on blackboards and whiteboards. It cost €3.50 for my drink. Yes, I'd return.

Oysterhaven View Restaurant: First Class Hotel Restaurant

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Jun 13, 2010

This restaurant is the main dining room of the Carlton Hotel, although it is open to non-residents and goes the extra mile with its food.

We got an excellent deal through the hotel which included dinner here on one night and dinner in the acclaimed Man Friday the following night.

The most spectacular thing about this eatery is not its food, but rather the impossibly lovely views from its second floor curved decking over the bay and across to Oysterhaven.

The service is very good and the menu varied and with plenty of choice.

I would like to think that I was just unfortunate with my meal, as a lot of preparation goes into the food served here plus the dishes are imaginatively put together. Maybe it was the night that the "good" chef was off duty, I don't know, but I was just a tiny bit disappointed with my meal.

Favorite Dish: I started with the fresh local mussels steamed in a broth of fennel and pernod. The flavours of the fennel and pernod was superb, and these two do complement each other so perfectly. However, the mussels were dry, as if they had been overcooked, frozen, or kept warm for too long under a heat lamp. Mussels must be succulent - taken from the cooking broth as soon as the shells open.

My main course was salmon with a risotto of leeks, parmesan, and truffle oil. Now truffle oil has a very distinct flavour, and I happen to adore the stuff, but there was absolutely no sign of it on the dish served to me. In addition to that the salmon was, once again, either overcooked to the point of dryness or else left under that old heat lamp too long. The risotto - that was just OK.

The menu was so promising that the meal should have been divine, and had all the possibilities of so being. Pan fried salmon and steamed mussels are dishes that even a beginner can do with some ease. I might begin to have understood the dryness of these dishes if the dining room was crowded - but when we ordered we were the first in the room and it was perhaps half an hour before anyone else appeared.

My "dessert" was the cheese board. Given that we were in West Cork I envisioned a wonderful local selection. I was served four cheeses. Three of them tasted the same as each other. The accompanying grapes and pickled celery were nice.

My companions meal was better than mine it seems. That saying, my Mum ordered breast and leg of dick but there was only a leg on the plate.

I'd try it here again, but another strike and they are out!

The menu of starter, main course, and dessert plus tea or coffee is €45 per person. Well worth it if your meal is right.

• Luxury Travel

Spinnaker: Dine Overlooking a Sunset over the Harbor

by clws Written Sep 12, 2005

The Spinnaker is located across the harbor in the Scilly area of Kinsale. If you are lucky, you can get a table over looking the harbor and can see the sunset. It is decorated in a fishing theme and specializes in fresh caught seafood. Candle lit dinners and a nice view.

Favorite Dish: I enjoy their fresh cod fish and chips. Can't go wrong with fish and chips in Ireland.

• TRimer's Profile Photo

The Little Skillet: Fine Dining in Kinsale

by TRimer Updated Aug 12, 2007

Located in one of the small winding narrow streets of the trading centre of Kinsale, in a building that probably dates back to the Battle of Kinsale in 1601. Inside the restaurant, there are small tables in a brick covered room. The walls are decorated with copper pots.

Favorite Dish: Over the last 11 years Richard and Anne Ennos have developed a loyal following, serving all the old-time Irish favorites with traditional Irish music, fresh steamed seasonal veggies, and absolutely no French fries. While they serve irish/british cuisine, the restaurant specializes in the use of fresh seafood. Specialties include shepards pie and a fish stew.

• Luxury Travel

• dilleight's Profile Photo

Max's Wine Bar & Restaurant: Great Early Bird Menu

by dilleight Updated Sep 25, 2008

We went for the Early Bird which was 25 Euro for 3 courses between 6.30 and 7.30pm. They asked us to vacate the table by 8.45 when we arrived at 6.45 which I felt was reasonable. We had a half carafe of house red wine which cost 10 Euros. There was a choice of 4 mains 2 of which were on the menu and 2 of which were specials. For starters we had 3 choices. The atmosphere was relaxed and sophisticated and the staff were friendly without being overbearing. I had mussels then mackerel and then ice-cream. The mussels were nice, the mackerel was lovely and the vegetables that came with it were very well cooked and came with poppy seeds on which I thought was a nice touch. The ice-cream was a little icy but overall it was a great experience. I would recommend the early bird for those who want a sophisticated dining experience on a budget. There was a more extensive a la carte menu which of course was more pricey but I would imagine it was still good value. We didn't book but it was quite busy so it might be a good idea.

• caminomimi's Profile Photo

Spinnaker's: You Must Try the Seafood Pie!

by caminomimi Written Oct 25, 2007

Ask for a window table and watch the comings and goings of the local fisherman in this colorful fishing village. The restaurant is local and typical of Kinsale. The offerings are varied
    but they do specialize in great seafood dishes.

Favorite Dish: My kids swear that I plan my trips around food. It's not true, but if it were, then I would have called this trip a great success if only for this dish! The dish, Seafood Pie, is served in a small crock. A savory selection of seafood and rich broth is covered with mashed potatoes and broiled to a golden brown. The broth thickens into a delicious rich sauce. I will never forget this decendent and hearty seafood dish!

• Toddies Restaurant: AWFUL Toddies Restaurant

by kiim Written Jul 17, 2007

It was awful. The restauratnt is very hard to faind in town. The manager ->Mary is very impolite (she was going around the restaurant and screeming on her staff>. Food was cold, and our table wasn't clean the time we came .Going to this restaurant is mistake, it's not worth the money we paid for food.

Favorite Dish: food was cold!!!!!

• Annie_D's Profile Photo

Dino's Restaurant: Great Food

by Annie_D Updated Apr 4, 2011

It was a quaint restaurant that over looked Kinsale Harbour. The surroundings and ambience were very neutral - meaning, there was a great atmosphere to be had there. The food was so good, I've never tasted chips so good before.

Favorite Dish: I only really got something small - eggs, bacon and chips but it was the best that I have ever tasted before.

• Lebistro: Huge Plates of Food!!

by desandchris Written Apr 2, 2007

we loved this place, warm yellow interior, friendly service and massive plates of fresh tasty food, all at prices well below the norm for this town.

Favorite Dish: Loved the Scallop and Smoked Salmon Ravioli...fabulous flavour and vegetables served with our mains were the only fresh, tasty veg we had in Ireland

Le Restaurant d'Antibes at White House: Fine Dining..... Quiet Setting

by clws Written Sep 12, 2005

This restaurant is in the White House, just at the White House Pub is, only on the other side. We go here when we want to dress up a little bit and eat from their other menu. It is nice and cozy with nice table linens, beautiful antiques, and candles on the tables. Very nice atomsphere at this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: Chicken "Kinsale"
    Pan-fried supreme of chicken stuffed with sun dried tomatoes and basil leaves served with an olive pesto. This is my favorite meal here. It is really tasty!

The Vintage Restaurant: Arrogent, Rude, and Over Priced

by clws Written Sep 12, 2005

We went here to eat dinner with another couple that was traveling with us. It was to celebrate our anniversary and it was the worse experience I have ever had at a restaurant. The owner was rude to all of us and to top it off, he tried to charge us twice!

Crackpots: They Turn Away Customers

by clws Written Sep 13, 2005

We tried to go here for something light to eat because we had just arrived and were tired. When they found out we weren't ordering a full course meal, they told us we could not eat there. We haven't been back.

• The Bistro: The Bistro

by stephhuddleston Written Oct 26, 2005

Romantic. Mid- to upper-scale. Colors/lighting is warm and rich. Didn't care for the table covering, but that was a minor detail.

Favorite Dish: Since I've only eaten here once, I don't have a favorite, but I can say I enjoyed everything I did order: pasta starter (shared), French onion soup, and mussels. In a place dominated by pubs, it was wonderful to have a nice selection of wines.

Kinsale Hotels

Latest: Apr 7, 2014
Guardwell Lodge
Latest: Jan 21, 2008

Instant Answers: Kinsale

Comments

Kinsale Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Kinsale locals.
Map of Kinsale