Macroom Travel Guide

• Things to Do
  • Macroom

Macroom Things to Do

• Macroom Castle Demesne

I discovered the castle by chance when I went for my photographic early morning stroll. I call it a stroll, because I never ever walk fast. When Macroom Castle was burnt (for the fourth time) during the War of Independence, 1916-22, Lady Ardilaun gave the remains of the house and demesne to the people of Macroom.The structure dominated the skyline...

• River Sullane

River Sullane runs past or maybe through Macroom. I discovered it whilst out and about early morning waiting for my travel companions to get done. A lovely morning stroll which I thoroughly enjoyed.

• BP Service Station

i am not sure if this petrol station is still in working condition. It appealled to me, maybe because I worked for BP for 25 years, or maybe just because I love old things.

• Macroom Castle Gateway

The Gateway which is all that remains of Macroom Castle is interesting and in fact, the town were once owned by Admiral Sir William Penn, whose son founded Pennsylvania. There is a small museum with a collection of mainly folk material. A market town, there is a mart which is in use during the week. Once you are through the gateway, their is a...

• Staying connected

If you need to stay connected to family & friends back home, or just need to browse the internet for info regarding the area, then visit the Den. A very friendly guy runs the place and they are not too expensive.

• Briery Gap Culture Centre

At the centre, they have quite a number of events happening throughout the year. Unfortunately we did not manage to see anything there as they were not having any production going on whilst we were there.

Macroom Hotels

Macroom Restaurants

• Granville's

It came highly recommended to us, and I am sure that the food there are good, however it is not for the budget traveller. I found them very expensive for such a tiny village, no wonder there were no patrons inside when we got there. After giving the menu a quick once over, we decided to rather go elsewhere.

• Castle Hotel

As we arrived late in Macroom, we missed the shops so decided that if we wanted supper we needed to go and eat out. The first restaurant that we went to, we found the service bad so we left and decided to go and try the hotel instead. Glad we did as our food was really nice and the price was not breaking the bank either. Beef burger with pepper...

• nice food , just outside of town

Had an evening meal there recently in the restauraunt section .(there is also excellent food available from the bar menu).Very nice decor, lighting, and a pleasant atmosphere all round.Staff also polite and efficient. duck was excellent.My friend had locally produced lamb which she loved.

Macroom Favorites

• by turas Written Jul 4, 2008

Favorite thing: if you ever try to drive through macroom on a friday, perhaps heading to killarney, then dont do so from 4pm to 630 pm traffic is insane, and the town is choked up with lorries, buses cars e.t c
    town is due to be bypassed in the next number of years, which is long overdue

Fondest memory: the markets in the square on a tuesday are great, locally produced cheeses, cakes,apple juices,

also nice hand made jewellery

Instant Answers: Macroom

Comments

Map of Macroom