Lifford Travel Guide

• Lifford
  • Lifford
    by DAO
    NUMBER 2 BALLYDUFF ROAD......

Lifford Shopping

• DAO's Profile Photo
    SADLY CLOSED

by DAO Written May 3, 2013

Sadly this once proud and fantastic store is now closed!
    I found this wonderful and eccentric shop by accident when I drove over the river bridge from the other side of the border. The owner, Eamon Martin, was very nice to me and the staff were very helpful. Unfortunately I waited too long to write this tip. His store was a bit run down in terms of decoration, but it was a massive treasure trove of wonderful gifts, fine china, great T-shirts and some absolute junk with some Irish motifs. I bought some great Christmas decorations made of china for a very good price and quite a bit of Guinness branded things. I put 2 massive bags of gifts in my car and sorted out half of my Christmas shopping in 1 hour.

Sadly Mr. Martin has been involved in a 46 year legal battle over planning permission and the judge ordered him to shut.

46 years!

Sadly it is even worse. It actually involves the building NEXT DOOR.

Mr. Martin ran the oldest business in Lifford - 7 days a week - for 46 years. He only closed the shop for Christmas each year. This great institution was once shortlisted in the title to be named Ireland’s finest souvenir store.

What a shame. I am glad I had a chance to shop here and meet Mr. Martin when I did.

Instant Answers: Lifford

Comments

Lifford Travel Guide
Map of Lifford