Unique Places in County Donegal

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in County Donegal

• Krumel's Profile Photo

Carndonagh Cross

by Krumel Updated May 1, 2003

In Carndonagh we stopped at the Carndonagh Cross on the Buncrana road, an 7th century High Cross with two carved pillars beside it. The carvings included figures and faces and some interlacing celtic patterns.

• Archeology

• Krumel's Profile Photo

Hell's Hole

by Krumel Updated May 1, 2003

Standing at Malin Head there is a small path leading down the hill to the left along the coast. Following this path you will get to Hell’s Hole after about 1 km. This is a deep, narrow gap in the rocks through which the water rushes in at high tide. We were warned to be careful on this path and not to deviate from it. Halfway to Hell’s Hole there is a cross on a rocky outcrop where some people were swept into the sea by a freak wave, even though the sea had looked very calm that day.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Beaches

• Deefstes's Profile Photo

Stuck in the muck

by Deefstes Updated Mar 20, 2003

I have to share this story of one mid winter night. When I get around to creating my travelogue I will move it there.

My friend and I drove around the Inishowen peninsula and just before nightfall we tried reaching a certain landmark at Malin Head (Ireland's northernmost point) but couldn't quite find the road. We ended up taking a little dirt track that later turned out to be no more than a track leading onto some farmer's farm.

Well, soon enough we found ourselves up to the elbows in freezing mud trying to dig the car out of the bogland, icy rain pelting on our backs. This activity kept us busy for four hours before we realised the futility of it and abandoned car.

That wasn't the end yet, we then had to hike several kilometers to the nearest house where we were warmly welcomed by the most hospitable family. They put us in front of a lovely peat fire and pumped Irish Whiskey down our throats to warm us up.

Man, the best day of my life that I'd never want to have over.

• kathycollins's Profile Photo

Fanad peninsula

by kathycollins Updated Sep 16, 2002

driving around the Fanad penisula was sheer magic. The views are spectacular - rugged cliffs, gentle beaches, lush green farms.
    A travelogue featuring this magnificent area is forthcoming! I've so many beautiful pics I need to decide which to put in here!

• This was taken on the Creveghy...

by Anisha1 Written Aug 24, 2002

This was taken on the Creveghy hill walk, Rosses route. There's nothing left of this community except afew ruins, appreciated only by the sheep who shelter from the rain.
    Why these people choose to build up here in the middle of the hills in the first place I'll never know, but it's sad to see the entire village left as an empty shell. Times were very hard, and far away hills were greener, I suppose.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Rossknowlagh beach

by orlikins Written Sep 13, 2002

Rossknowlagh beach - if you want complete & utter peace, quiet and near isolation - this is the place for you.

County Donegal Hotels

1 Hotel
Killybegs Hotels
4 Reviews - 6 Photos

Instant Answers: County Donegal

Comments

County Donegal Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of County Donegal off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for County Donegal sightseeing.
Map of County Donegal