Unique Places in County Donegal

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in County Donegal

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Get off the Main Drag

by sue_stone Written Jul 10, 2004

County Donegal has some amazing extremes of landscape, and we found that the best way to discover it was to get off the main roads and take the scenic route to our destination.

We were impressed by what we saw along the way......hard to take photos through the car windows though!!

• ladyanne's Profile Photo

Hard to find....hard to leave!!! Slieve League Mt.

by ladyanne Updated May 27, 2005

Slieve League Mountain and the Bunglass Cliffs, Co. Donegal, a wonderful place to climb and hike. It doesn't even show a road to get there on some maps.

This is one of the most dramatic scenes, the coloration of the hills and mountain, almost look like camouplage. It was foggy when I was there, but we still made the walk and climb, one of my friends who is much more physically fit, made it to the top.

It is hard to find...but when you are there you will not want to leave.

It is off R263 between Teelin and Malin Beg. Go by car. There is a dirt road that goes through a gate, where a farmer keeps his sheep, which you have to open and close, and then go up a steep incline for quite a ways. Overlloking the ocean, it is really grand.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Hiking and Walking

My Favorite View on N56 Near Inver, Donegal

by ladyanne Written Jun 3, 2005

I have taken several photos of this spot, this is probably one of my favorites. It is on N56 between Inver and Donegal.

If you study the photo closely, you can see a ridge of mountains way off on the horizon which I believe are the Darty Mountains across Donegal Bay. The Peninusla is Tullyvoos and the waves are Inver Bay.

What a spot....you won't miss it. Just stop and take a moment to enjoy it.

• ladyanne's Profile Photo

Bloody Foreland, Co. Donegal.

by ladyanne Written May 31, 2005

Bloody Foreland in Co. Donegal I would say is the most western left hand corner in Ireland. Lovely scenery, vast and open, with the mainland sticking into the ocean like long fingers.

Very remote but what part of Donegal isn't. I would say worth a visit.

Check the website below, for another great photo that will temp you.

All of Donegal is off the Beaten Path! Malin Beg

by ladyanne Written May 31, 2005

Malin Beg is basically as far off the beaten path as you can get. A "Dead End" road. It is Donegal's most Western Point. You can get there from Meenavean or Glencolumbkille or Malin More off of R263.

A beautifl scenic view of the ocean, cliffs, and beach. There is a very steep long set of stairs that you can go down to the beach. Donegal never stops amazing me with it's remote beauty. I keep going back and finding more and more.

Western Ireland Tours site is listed below.

Kilclooney Dolmens, Co. Donegal, Ardara

by ladyanne Updated May 29, 2005

Kilclooney Dolmens

I love stones........any kind of stone....anywhere, and I especially love stone walls and stone houses.....but to see a Dolmen is the ultimate experience for a rock nut. Ancient and so old one cannot even understand the vastness of it all. To comprehend and be aware of it's age is almost inconceivable. The Kilclooney Dolmens were close to each other and sit casually in a farmer's field.

As you drive along N56 past Ardara and you happen to look to your right there on the horizon is a big lazy Dolmen. Once you figure out how to park and find an entrance, which ended up behind a farmer's house, and whose black and white dog accompanied us for our walk out to the field (beware he loves to play fetch), you can finally reach the Dolmens by foot.

Take the time to stop, it is a nice break and the experience will never leave you.

• Archeology

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Catching Razorfish

by sourbugger Written Mar 1, 2007

As one of the world's worst fishermen, I didn't hold out much hope of catching one. At least I could dispense with all that rod and line caper.

Donegal is (I am told) an excellent place to catch some. It is actually more like a clam as it has a protective shell shaped like, you guessed it, a cut-throat razor. You go armed to the beach with no more than a tub of common or garden domestic salt and a spade. You then have to find a keyhole shaped hole where the razorfish has burrowed into the sand. If you then pour the salt in, the fish thinks the tide has come in and it comes to the surface. At that point you very furiously dig it out and bung it in a bucket.

Despite several attempts I had to admit total failure. If I did get near any they must have burrowed deeper into the sand in double quick time.

• Fishing

Hell's Hole

by Krumel Updated May 1, 2003

Standing at Malin Head there is a small path leading down the hill to the left along the coast. Following this path you will get to Hell’s Hole after about 1 km. This is a deep, narrow gap in the rocks through which the water rushes in at high tide. We were warned to be careful on this path and not to deviate from it. Halfway to Hell’s Hole there is a cross on a rocky outcrop where some people were swept into the sea by a freak wave, even though the sea had looked very calm that day.

• Hiking and Walking
    • Beaches

Five Finger Beach

by Krumel Updated May 1, 2003

On our way from Malin town to Malin Head we saw a signpost for “Five Finger Beach” which sounded very interesting, so of course we veered off to have a look. It was fabulous, with long sand dunes along the beach, and mountains forming a nice backdrop in the distance. The name comes from five rocks that stick out like little fingers. When we were there the tide was out and the beach seemed to be endless. There were a few people sitting below the dunes, but when we took our shoes off and walked along the beach for a while we were soon all by ourselves.

• Beaches

Columcille Heritage Centre

by Krumel Updated May 1, 2003

If you are in the area around Churchill in the Glenveagh National Park you can stop at the Colmcille Heritage Centre. The main feature in the centre is a 15 min long audio-visual about the life of St. Columcille (Columba). The rest is a small collection of artefacts and some illustrated panels. Not really worth making a detour for, but if you’re in that area anyway you might as well stop there. Only open from May – September and during Easter Week.

Admission is €2

• Religious Travel

Wee House of Malin

by Krumel Updated May 1, 2003

The Wee House of Malin is a small cave near a ruined church where St. Muirdealach is said to have lived. Legend has it that the tiny cave could hold any number of people. No matter, how many people were already in there, there would still be room for more. As it was only my friend and myself there we could not really try it out.

• Religious Travel

Rathmullen & Ramelton, Lough Swilly, Donegal

by ladyanne Updated Apr 4, 2011

This area on Fanad Peninsula above Letterkenny, is very nice. It is out of the way and easily missed....but a nice remote area with lots of history, and I have heard a new up and coming area for new settlers.

We did this route when we planned to see the Bloody Foreland.

I am glad we did not miss it. Great.

Rathmullen & Ramelton, Lough Swilly, Donegal

by ladyanne Updated Apr 4, 2011

We did this route when we planned to see the Bloody Foreland.

I am glad we did not miss it. Great.

• Deefstes's Profile Photo

Stuck in the muck

by Deefstes Updated Mar 20, 2003

I have to share this story of one mid winter night. When I get around to creating my travelogue I will move it there.

My friend and I drove around the Inishowen peninsula and just before nightfall we tried reaching a certain landmark at Malin Head (Ireland's northernmost point) but couldn't quite find the road. We ended up taking a little dirt track that later turned out to be no more than a track leading onto some farmer's farm.

Well, soon enough we found ourselves up to the elbows in freezing mud trying to dig the car out of the bogland, icy rain pelting on our backs. This activity kept us busy for four hours before we realised the futility of it and abandoned car.

That wasn't the end yet, we then had to hike several kilometers to the nearest house where we were warmly welcomed by the most hospitable family. They put us in front of a lovely peat fire and pumped Irish Whiskey down our throats to warm us up.

Man, the best day of my life that I'd never want to have over.

• iblatt's Profile Photo

St. John's Point: Serene Beauty

by iblatt Written Oct 30, 2007

About 10 km west of Donegal Town , at Dunkineely, we turned south towards St. John's point, a long and narrow strip of land between Inver Bay and Mac Swyne's Bay.

The road became narrow and winding, and soon there was a sense of remote isolation, with the serene beauty of green grassy slopes leading to a rocky shoreline, ruins of an ancient castle jutting defiantly against the grey sky, as if hiding a secret that no one will ever find out.

On our way back to the car three horses stood there, on top of a hill, staring at us, all three in the same pose, as if they were spellbound. They had not moved an inch when we started the car and drove away.
    If you go to St. John's Point, please let me know: Are the horses still standing there, in the same pose as in the photo?

County Donegal Hotels

1 Hotel
Killybegs Hotels
4 Reviews - 6 Photos

Instant Answers: County Donegal

Comments

County Donegal Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of County Donegal off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for County Donegal sightseeing.
Map of County Donegal