General Comments, Dublin

Know about this? Rate It!

Dublin areas (click on pic to enlarge)
    by AR76
    The Ambassador theatre
    by Kentbein
    Dublin Statues add fun to the streets.
    by stevieUK
  • AR76's Profile Photo

Dublin areas - division

by AR76 Updated Feb 16, 2006

Dublin areas (click on pic to enlarge)

Favorite thing: When preparing your trip to Dublin (e.g. looking for accommodation) it may be handy to know how Dublin City is divided into areas.
    The main division is north - south, with the River Liffey as a separator.
    All areas north of the Liffey have an odd number, the southern areas are even-numbered. The higher the number, the further north/south of the Liffey the location usually is.

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

Dublin Pass from Ten Euro

by IrishFem Updated Jul 30, 2011

Favorite thing: FREE TRAVEL

The Dublin Pass offers FREE travel to the city centre, from when you arrive into Dublin Airport you make the most of your Pass by travelling FREE to the city centre with Aircoach.

The Dublin Pass offers the visitors the best sightseeing , shopping, attractions, restaurants service. A complete all in one package. The pass covers entry to over thirty of the City's top attractions and gives access to over twenty five special offers and preferential rates at selected venues, theatres, retails outlets, restaurants and tours.

With 27 of the capitals top attractions offering you FREE admission with the Dublin Pass the possibilities are endless. Most of the city’s main attractions are within easy walking distance of the city centre. Perhaps you could start by visiting Dublin’s oldest building, Christ Church Cathedral or check out Ireland’s unique national games at the Croke Park Experience and finish off the day with a view over Dublin from the Guinness Storehouse.

The 27 Dublin Pass Attractions represent a select number of Dublin’s finest visitor attractions, capturing the essence of Ireland’s cultural and historic capital city and county. From castles, museums and art galleries to the lively spirit of Temple Bar there is definitely something for everyone with the Dublin Pass.

The following attractions are free to all visitors – National Gallery of Ireland, National Museum of Ireland – Decorative Arts & History, National Museum of Ireland – Archaeology, Irish Museum of Modern Art – all offer the Dublin Pass holder added benefits exclusive to the holder. Please see individual listings for benefits.

Please note that where the visitor attraction is normally free admission you will receive a special offer or added value exclusive to the Dublin Pass holder on presentation of the Pass.

• lbhspatriot's Profile Photo

Buy a Dublin Pass

by lbhspatriot Written Dec 27, 2008

Favorite thing: If you are a tourist on a mission the cheapest and most effective way to sightsee Dublin would probably be to buy a Dublin Pass (valid for 1-6 days).

The Pass is one complete package of tourist attractions - admissions(Guiness Storehouse, - and you get to cut the gigantic line!- Dublin ZOO, writers museum, Dublin casstle and many others).
    It also Free transport from the airport to the city and special offers and discounts in shops, restaurants, tours, entertainment venues and other service providers!

If you want to see EVERYTHING, it will really save you a lot of time and money!

• csuresh's Profile Photo

Visa rules for Indian Citizens

by csuresh Written Nov 29, 2013

Favorite thing: Southern Ireland Immigration website tells, If you are living in UK on a long term visa category you do not require a visa to travel. We (Me and my family members) made all arrangements and went to the airport on travel day. We were advised by airlines that in our visa page it is written as Entry rather than Visa and we cannot go. We wrote to the Ireland embassy and we got the reply on same day that, only for certain categories UK government gives Visa and rest it is Entry. They also mentioned they can give us free visa provided we follow the procedures which seem to be more than that I can visit multiple countries using Schengan visa. We lost more than GBP 500 planning this trip. This is for everyones benefit. We are now planning Northern Ireland because all I want is to add my country number 19 in my travel map. Will travel to Dublin sometime later.

• Bigs's Profile Photo

...have a few pints in a pub....

by Bigs Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: ...have a few pints in a pub. It´s always nice to relax by a pint of Guiness or so.....there are some other delicious beers too!

Fondest memory: Bohemians Dublin : UCD !!! Great stadium and an even better half time shop! Get yourself a Bohemians Scarf!!! Come on you Bo´s!!!
    Stadium : Dalymount Park in Phibsboro

• stevieUK's Profile Photo

Statues

by stevieUK Written Dec 22, 2004

Dublin Statues add fun to the streets.

Favorite thing: One of the things I enjoyed wandering round Dublin was the statues which added some fun to the streets. Some towns (e.g. Luxemburg and Budapest) seem to be into doing this and Dublin ranks up there with the best of them.

• donal's Profile Photo

spend as much time as possible...

by donal Updated Sep 7, 2002

Favorite thing: spend as much time as possible with absolutely no agenda or plan! i know that pretty much goes for everywhere but i love dublin most when i'm just walking around with no particular place to go. the city is by far the most diverse place you'll come across in ireland and the very fact that so many people are visiting here from all over the world to work and on holiday has just made the place even more interesting.the best views of dublin are at dawn on a summer's morning, when only the fruit sellers are up. sunshine and tranquility combine to show dublin in the best possible light!
    photo of people in our kitchen dancing well before dawn by mark me flatmate

Fondest memory: living here, my memories are mainly daily life things but i don't think i'll ever forget the first time i took a dart (commuter train) from dalkey to killiney and saw the most amazing coastal view ever - a little bit of the med right here in dublin - be sure to sit on the left of the train and don't blink!
    when i'm away from dublin what i miss most are the conversations you can have here.

• grift71's Profile Photo

Take a cab and pretend you're dutch

by grift71 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Take a cab, just tell the driver you're dutch (even if you're not) and enjoy the many many many (MANY) jokes about how the dutch team did not manage to qualify for the football (that's soccer) World Cup. (Yes, we were kicked out by the Irish... lucky guess?)

Fondest memory: I went to Dublin to work for a week and I returned having had one of the most fun weeks ever.

• Mosie's Profile Photo

Go places not listed in the...

by Mosie Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Go places not listed in the guidebooks! Find a local friend (or multiple friends) and let them show you the 'real' Dublin. You'll see lots of interesting places and things on a tour, but there is so much else to experience that hasn't been staged...

Fondest memory: I miss the energy and vitality of the city. I love that you can walk almost anywhere you'd like to go and there are always people out and about.

• dracko's Profile Photo

Something for everyone

by dracko Updated Mar 20, 2003

Favorite thing: There's something for everybody here. If pub crawling is your thing, well... Dublin IS the capital of Ireland, so you won't have to go far to find one or two or ten. If history is your thing, you must visit the National Museum of Ireland on Kildare St. and the Christ Church Cathedral. St.Stephen's Green is a wonderful park to spend a few hours relaxing on the grass... maybe catch up on your reading or just peoplewatch. Also, if you're at all curious about the Irish music, you must visit Ceol, at Smithfield Village, behind the Jameson distillery.

• Hello. Well, obviously were...

by h.j. Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Hello. Well, obviously were all different, with different likes and dislikes (am I right, huh !), but I'll try to pick out one of my favourite times and/or parts of Dublin, or maybe 2 or 3 !

If your into nature but don't want to leave the city, check out the Phenoix Park. It's about 3/4 miles west of the city centre and I live just 5 minutes walk from its south perimeter ! In it is the presidents residence, the popes cross, and heards of deer. With level grassland, football pitches and forest land it's a diverse and beautiful contained landscape. Well worth a visit !

Or if you want some excitement of a different kind, get into the heart of Dublin city centre. Find anything from an array of shopping precincts, beautiful city parks and pubs, cafes and restaurants to suit all. The best way to discover Dublin is to explore !

Fondest memory: Probably the complete feeling of being at home. I know this may be the same for anyone towards their own home location, but it is still a big city, with many different people, but I can walk around the city centre in complete comfort, I feel like I could walk around in my slippers !

• Nantosvelta's Profile Photo

Nantosvelta's General Tip

by Nantosvelta Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory:
    One early morning when we looked out of the window of our hotelroom it was as if we had landed in the 1st World War.
    Tanks were driving by and soldiers were marching through the streets.
    Later on we discovered they were shooting a film right under our noses!
    They were filming 'Michael Collins' with Liam Neeson, Aidan Quinn and Julia Roberts.

• oja's Profile Photo

oja's General Tip

by oja Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: My fondest memory by far is that of the house I stayed in while visiting Dublin for the second time. My boyfriend (now ex) was doing his Ph.D. on Dublin City University and had a rented room in a part called Phibsboro. He shared the house with five other men aged from 20 to over 70. As soon as they saw there was a girl in the house they started turning me into a spoiled 'our lass' who always had all her drinks paid in the nearby Bohemian House no matter how she insisted otherwise. Especially the two oldest men, both over 70, were so interesting - literary wells of stories describing their colourful lives. None of them could remember my name no matter how hard they tried, but they would always make excuses like 'I heard the radiator's broken, mind if I have a look?' just to come in and have a chat with me. When I had to leave I cried like a rainstorm - not only because I had to part with my boyfriend, but also because I knew how much I'd miss the house!

• All around the old part of the...

by Ursula1 Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: All around the old part of the city - visit the oldest pub 'the brazen head' walk around stephan's green.
    Show the site of 1916 rising - G.P.O. (General Post Office)

Fondest memory: I would miss - The Craic! the people - all I grew up with and my home.

• Michael_D's Profile Photo

Michael_D's General Tip

by Michael_D Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: Well not the fondest, maybe the saddest. This is a sculpture commemorating those who died in the potato famine in the late 19th century. Between the deaths and the migrations en masse to America it reduced the population of Ireland from 8 million to under 4 million. It made me stop and think. I am Irish on my fathers side and 'there but for the grace of God, go I..' for my ancesters fled Kilkenny during that period. Thank God they made it.

Instant Answers: Dublin