Kildare st. Dublin 3.
Divided into three sections- Irish Antiquities, Art and Industrial, and Natural History (which is entered from Merrion Square), the National Museum was opened in 1890, and much of the original collection was made up of bequests from the Royal Irish Academy, the Royal Dublin Society and Trinity College. The National Antiquities section comprises the finest collection of early European Christian art. Among the most impressive pieces are the Ardagh Chalice, the cross of Cong and the Tara Brooch. The Natural History section has a complete collection of the prehistoric giant Irish deer, known as Irish elk.