Off the beaten track, Dublin

Know about this? Rate It!

Driving along the water
    by grandmaR
    Bray Head
    by morgana17
    Bray Head Co. Wicklow
    by morgana17
  • ciaramalone's Profile Photo

Take a trip on the DART, which...

by ciaramalone Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Take a trip on the DART, which is a public train. Start the journey in the city centre and prepare to view some of the most breathtaking scenery as it makes its way along the coast to Bray. You will journey past Booterstown Marsh, a wildlife sanctuary where a variety of native and migrating birds can be spotted and a 15 minute trip brings you right into the heart of the old Victorian harbour town of Dun Laoghaire. Dun Laoghaire celebrated its 1500th birthday in 1998. People come from all over Dublin to walk Dun Laoghaires two piers, the East Pier is 1,290 m long, and the West Pier is 1,548m, each pier ending in a lighthouse. Stroll out here at any time of the day and you will see a tremendous cross-section of people, particularly on a Sunday when the pier is fairly crowded. Then onwards to Sandycove where the james Joyce museum is located. After this comes Killiney, Dalkey and finally Bray.

• Walking along the coast

by sabsi Written Aug 24, 2002

Dalkey

Fondest memory: When I walked along the coast road from Dalkey to Killiney (south of Dublin) on a nice summer day admiring all the nice houses and views. Too bad I was on my own that day so I had to keep saying to myself 'Oh, it's gorgeous here'. It was before I got my first cellphone so I stopped at every phone booth to call somebody :-)

• colleenmcc's General Tip

by colleenmcc Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: The most beautiful place I went to was Glendalough. In the 1500's (I think) St Kevin went there to live as a hermit. But people kept following him there. Eventually a monastery was founded and was world renowned as a place of great learning. In this picture is the round tower. It door is 9 feet off the ground so that when invaders came they could go inside the tower and pull the ladder in after them.

One more down Parnell Street

by Kentbein Written Jul 9, 2004
    Parnell Street looking south west

Favorite thing: Larger view down Parnell Street. Go west one more block, turn south and you are heading towards the market district. We'll take a walk down there when I get back from tomorrows trip to North Carolina's Outer Banks in July 2004!!

Back Lane

by Kentbein Updated Jan 21, 2004
    Mother Red Caps; Back Lane on Dublin's South Side

Favorite thing: Back Lane, almost in the Liberties, is a short stretch of path between High and Nicholas Streets, very near Christ Church Cathedral. Along this route is one of Dublin's better known Irish music pubs, Mother Red Cap's, and one of the few remaining elements of the origiinal Norman era walls, Tailor's Gate.

If you can read the signage posted on the wall of Mother Red Caps in the adjacent photgraph, the building was for sale during our visit. The location is not on any main thoroughfare in Dublin, which indicates to me that they have a hard time attracting customers. Too bad I suppose, as the pub has a recognizable reputation.

The Hairy Lemon

by Kentbein Written Feb 1, 2004
    The Hairy Lemon

Favorite thing: Down the street and west from Grogans is the Hairy Lemon. I had spent way too much time in pubs in the area already, so didn't go into this one, and can't say if it's one of the old authentic pubs or one of the newer encroachments.

Inside the Long Hall

by Kentbein Written Mar 29, 2004
    Inside the Long Hall

Favorite thing: Here's a darkly lit photo of the Long Hall's interior. I hate interrupting the mood of these grand old girls and typically refuse to use flash lighting. The flash never truly portrays the mood anyway. I didn't take along my SLR Nikon for a timed shot of the interior, so all you get is this hardly discernable digital pic. My apologies. The Nikon's too heavy. I've moved along into the "progress" of the digital age. The old timers now refuse to associate with me for it. Oh well. can't win 'em all.

• tvdm's Profile Photo

Howth

by tvdm Written Sep 12, 2002

Favorite thing: visit Howth. This small cute town built on a peninsula just to the north of Dublin makes the perfect out-of-town beach and cliff hike. See my Howth Travelogue for this gem.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Lighthouses from the bus

by grandmaR Updated Aug 1, 2007

Photo from the bus on the way to dinner

Favorite thing: under construction

As always, trying to take pictures of lighthouses - sometimes successful and sometimes not.

• Beaches

• bluefelt's Profile Photo

We went to the beach in...

by bluefelt Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: We went to the beach in Dublin. I couldn't even see the tide because it was so far out there, but it was beautiful.

• Kozzmozz's Profile Photo

Kozzmozz's General Tip

by Kozzmozz Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: The beautiful surroundings of the city. Just take the DART-commuter trains, and visit the small villages

• ciaramalone's Profile Photo

Sample the spectacular view...

by ciaramalone Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Sample the spectacular view from Vico Road in Killiney which has been described as a northern echo of the Bay of Naples.
    This is on the DART line

Back Lane, Dublin

by Kentbein Written Jan 21, 2004
    Back Lane

Favorite thing: Just along Back Lane towards Nicholas Street, this particular part of town reminds me of an area I know in New Orleans' French Quarter.

Instant Answers: Dublin