St. Patrick´s Cathedral, Dublin

Know about this? Rate It!

• A government building?  (has the Dublin seal)
    A government building? (has the Dublin...
    by grandmaR
    GPO or the Bank of Ireland building?
  • acemj's Profile Photo

by acemj Updated Jun 3, 2003

NOT a Catholic Church

Favorite thing: I walked by St. Patrick's the first day I arrived and the gates were closed (this was a Sunday), so perhaps services were going on. On Wednesday, I woke up early and braved another drizzly sky and started walking toward the cathedral hoping to get a peek inside. When the rain picked up, I decided to hail a cab. Not surprisingly, the cabbie was a jovial guy (like everybody in Dublin!) and started rambling on and on about the city and the prices of things and how Germany is actually controlling all the decisions of the EU! The more he talked, the faster he drove. He seemed to be getting a bit worked up, so I decided that for the sake of my own personal safety, I better change the subject. When I asked him about Saint Patrick's, he laughed and said that American tourists are always asking him if they can attend Mass there. I laughed, because he laughed and it took me a minute to realize that he was implying that Saint Patrick's isn't a catholic church. Figuring he might charge extra for an unsuspecting American tourist, I laughed a little louder ("ha, that's funny . . . 'cause St. Patty's is Protestant . . . course it is . . .") and pretended to have known that all along.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Churches

by acemj Updated Jun 7, 2003

Favorite thing: The most famous churches in Dublin are Saint Patrick's and Christ Church cathedrals, but there are plenty of other architecturally interesting churches. This one is located adjacent to the Dublin Writer's Museum at Parnell Square North.

• daryll's Profile Photo

St. Patrick's Cathedral

by daryll Written Nov 22, 2005

St. Patrick's Cathedral and sacred well

Favorite thing: This is Ireland largest church with acclaimed of the sacred well where Saint Patrick baptised the locals at the early christian era. I was told that the original church was all wooden until 1192 the church is rebuilt again with stone. The cathedral now is no longer a Roman Catholic but Protestant. Something unsual as a Catholic state.

• Architecture
    • Religious Travel

• Mandy23's Profile Photo

St. Patrick´s Cathedral

by Mandy23 Updated Feb 4, 2003

St. Patrick��s Cathedral

Favorite thing: see St. Patrick´s Cathedral - it´s one of two Anglican cathedrals in Dublin. The main attractions in St Patrick's are the tombs of Jonathan Swift and his lover in the nave. The cathedral also contains the longest medieval nave in Ireland, and a stone slab, engraved with a Celtic cross, that covers the well from which St Patrick baptised the converts.

adress: St Patrick's Cathedral; St Patrick's Close; Off Clanbrassil Street; Dublin 8

Fondest memory: It was the second time that I visited the Cathedral, but this time we stayed also during a mass which was quite interesting.

• Michael_D's Profile Photo

Michael_D's General Tip

by Michael_D Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: St Patricks Cathedral. Not as ornate as most others in Europe but more meaningfull due to my heritage. Catholocism is of quintessential importance in Ireland and St Patrick's represents the center of faith in the country.Jonathan Swift (Gullivers Travels) was dean here from 1713 to 1745 and is buried within the walls.

• some_clown's General Tip

by some_clown Written Aug 24, 2002

Fondest memory: This is Saint Patrick's Cathedral located in Dublin 8. It's a very beautiful cathedral that you can visit. You can also attend mass there. It is the most famoust one with Christ Church Cathedral, located at the top of Dame Street. You can visit a permanent exhibition called Dublinia at Christ Church -- it will tell you about the history of Dublin. It's a pretty cool way to discover its past!

TO ST. PATRICKS CATHEDRAL

Tower of St. Patrick's

Favorite thing: By now you should be pretty well worn out from a full day’s Dublin tour. It should be just about dusk, which is when I found myself once again on Cornmarket Street walking eastward, back towards Christ Church. I inadvertently omitted photographing the Guinness Windmill along Thomas Street/Oliver Bond Street while there, so if you happen to be smarter than I was and get a nice shot of this windmill, please send me a copy. It’s one of those things I intend to return for when I have my next opportunity to go back to Dublin.

My next stop that evening before nightfall was St. Patrick’s Cathedral. I recommend to you that you devote as much time to this cathedral as I did to Christ Church. There’s much more to see than I made time for, and it too is on my list of Must Do’s during my next trip to Dublin.

ST. PATRICK'S AT DUSK

The Cathedral at dusk, October 2003

Favorite thing: I arrived at dusk, which is a beautiful time anywhere on this planet, and no less so in Dublin. St. Pat’s is a magnificent, imposing building down Nicholas Street from Christ Church, which changes name to Patrick’s Street Just south of Bride’s Road and Bull Alley Street. I need to research the names of these two streets as well as I’m sure there’s an interesting history behind these names.

The Cathedral is located on what is thought to be the oldest Christian site in Dublin, where St. Patrick is said to have baptized converts to the Christian religion in the years around 450 A.D. The famous author Jonathan Swift, one of the greatest intellects of his day, author of “Gulliver’s Travels” and dean of St. Patrick’s (1713 – 1745), is buried in the Cathedral. He is a remarkable, interesting man and deserves a few more lines, which I've added in a travelogue if you're interested.

PLAYGROUND AT ST. PATRICKS

St. Patrick's Playground

Favorite thing: Once you enter the grounds of St. Patricks you can explore several very interesting little areas. St. Patrick's well, where the great man is said to have baptized converts, is there on the grounds, as is this lively little playground for the younger set. The playground was getting a lot of use the evening I walked by it, just at dusk before these little guys were taken home for dineer. The grounds are beautiful and deserve a greater depth of exploration than my tired feet allowed. Next trip to Dublin, I'm spending three hours at St. Pats.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Churches and Buildings I Can't Identify

by grandmaR Written Aug 11, 2007

Saint Patrick's Cathedral

Favorite thing: I didn't take as many photos as usual in Dublin, and I can't identify many of the ones I did take. So I'd be grateful if someone familiar with the area could tell me what I've taken a photo of.

• Architecture