Temple Bar Area, Dublin

Know about this? Rate It!

• Temple Bar Area
  • Temple Bar Area
    by yooperprof
  • happy punter enjoying a well-crafted stout
    happy punter enjoying a well-crafted...
  • sue_stone's Profile Photo

Temple Bar Area: Follow the trail of beer.......

by sue_stone Written Jul 22, 2004

temple bar is full of girls with beer

Yes, I had to do a tip on Temple Bar, as it is the centre of Dublin Nightlife.

Quite nice by day, the cobbled streets of Temple Bar turn into a magnet at night for plenty of very drunk tourists and a fair few locals as well. By night, I read it described as 'Temple Barf' !!

There are plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from, so eat, drink and be merry, and soak up some Dublin culture!

Dress Code: Keep it comfortable and wash and wear, so you can hose yourself down!

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

The Quays: Live music

by Mahieu Updated Jul 8, 2005

I decided to go inside, because it was during the afternoon ( around 5pm) and there weren't lots of people around. A young guy gave away a small guitarconcert singing songs from REM, U2, ... He was actually pretty talented. I

On my second visit to Dublin, I came back here in the afternoon around 3pm and again, there was a young guy playing the guitar and singing. I can't remember if it was the same one as the first time, but this one also had an amazing voice!

On my next visit to Dublin, I'll definitely check out the Quay's Bar again.

• Temple Bar Area: Enjoying the Craic

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 18, 2008

The night before we were taking the train to the Electric Picnic Festival in Stradbally, Petra and I had a wander round the very touristy but great fun Temple Bar area. We spent ages looking for somewhere we both fancied eating, and there are literally hundreds of places to choose from, eventually settling for a disco diner type place where I had fish and chips and she had a burger.

Afterwards we just wandered up and down in the warm evening, watching all the other tourists and spotting other possible festival goers! We had coffee and cake in a really nice little coffee and cake place that I can't remember the name of but was opposite the Irish Film Institute where, in the upper rooms a small group of wouldbe acTORs were having elocution/voice projection lessons.. their elaborate gesticulations looked very amusing with no sound.

Later, by an outdoor seating area, we came across the Garda dealing with a stabbed Jamaican street performer incident - it had drawn crowds far larger than the poor guy could ever have hoped for with his act. Hope he was ok.

Dress Code: Anything.

• Architecture
    • Festivals

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Temple Bar area: From traditional to rock live music!

by Jefie Updated May 21, 2009

The Temple Bar in Dublin

Perhaps spending an evening bar hopping in the Temple Bar area doesn't sound like the most original thing to do while in Dublin, but what I thought made it so interesting was the variety of pubs and live music that could be heard in the area - while some of the pubs remain faithful to the image we've got of a traditional Irish pub, others are definitely more modern and often feature live rock music. Very roughly, if you're in the mood for some "Molly Malone" and "Wild Rover", the area that stretches between Westmoreland St. and Eustace St. is where you'll most likely hear some flutes and fiddles. Some pubs, such as The Palace Bar (21 Fleet St.), are well known for their typical Irish music sessions; others, such as The Oliver St. John Gogarty, are more similar to Irish pubs around the world, with plenty of people (well, mostly tourists) singing along, clapping hands, and having a jolly good time! In the area that stretches between Eustace St. and Fishamble St., the pubs become gradually more modern, and you're more likely to hear live bands play some Foo Fighters and Red Hot Chili Peppers (and meet more Dubliners). So overall I'd say it's worth spending at least one evening in the Temple Bar area, if only to catch some of the rustling, bustling atmosphere!

Dress Code: Most places were pretty casual

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

Trendy Bars: PorterHouse Pub

by Kodi01 Updated Feb 1, 2004

Porterhouse Pub

This is a great pub called the Porterhouse. We got filmed here the first night. A tv crew came into the pub.

I could not let the night go on without finding out what television station would air our pics.

We will be on French Television on Valentines Day! PLEASE look for us vt members in Paris.

Documentary is on "banning smoking in Irish Pubs"

p.s. We weren't smoking! ;o)

Dress Code: I would recommend dressing nice for the pub scene.

I however was pretty casual and packed light this time.

• doug48's Profile Photo

Temple Bar Area: the temple bar

by doug48 Written Jul 6, 2007

the temple bar

temple bar has the reputation of being touristy, crowded, and over priced. this is true but a visit to dublin would not be complete without checking out temple bar. the temple bar is in the heart of the temple bar entertainment area. it is a very large pub with an outdoor courtyard in the center of the pub. pricey, yes but a fun place to visit.

• Beer Tasting
    • Architecture

• suvanki's Profile Photo

Farringtons of Temple Bar: Live Music pub in Temple Bar

by suvanki Updated Oct 20, 2012

Farringtons of Temple Bar

Farringtons Bar and Hotel is located at 28E Essex Street. It is set in a Victorian Building, where some of the original fittings such as the wooden partitions are over 120 years old. (The hotel rooms are modern contemporary design though) I'm not sure If I'd like to stay here- Temple Bar is lively until the early hours, then there is the early morning bin collections etc. So probably not the most peaceful of places if You're a light sleeper.

Farringtons gets its name from one of the characters in James Joyce's 'The Dubliners'.

I popped in here on the Sunday afternoon, after hearing music being played here. (So this is a Day/ Night time tip)

I'd ordered a Guinness from a very friendly young bar attendant. I then found a seat. The bar is divided into smaller rooms, I sat in a small raised area, where I could see and hear the musician who was playing in the opposite room. According to the notice outside (Pic 3) this was Phil Nevin. He sang and played guitar- soft rock classics - which I enjoyed.

Monday - Thursday, Live Music can be heard here at 14.30, 17.00 and 21.30 Fridays and Saturdays- 14.00, 17.00, 21.00 and Mid-night and Sundays 14.00, 17.00, 19.00 and 21.00.

I enjoyed sitting here, listening to the music. A pleasant atmosphere. The clientele appeared to be a mix of locals with some tourists - mainly around 25+ age group. Dark wood furnishings and decor, with old Large mirrors (pic 4) and framed pictures etc.

Opening Hours: Mon - Thurs 10:30 - 23:30, Fri & Sat 10:30 - 02:30, Sun 12:30 - 23:00

Food Served: Mon-Fri 10:00 - 20:30, Sat 10:30 - 20:30, Sun 12:30 - 18:00

There are menus outside - local and international cuisine. There is an 'early bird' menu - 3 courses for 15.95 Euros.

Breakfasts - Full Irish for 11.90 Euros (Bacon (2), Eggs (2), Sausages (2), Tomatoes, beans, Black and White Puddings, served with toast, tea and coffee. Mini Breakfast 7 Euros (as above, but 1 of each item). Scrambled Egg and Bacon-with toast and tea or coffee- 7 euros

I didn't eat here - A Guinness drunk in the daytime is nearly as filling as a meal for me!

Outside on the Eustace Street exterior is a stone plaque (pic 3) "In Memory of Seargent Stephen Kelly and Constable Patrick Keena of the Dublin Metropolitan Policewho were shot on duty in this locality in the early hours of 31st October 1867"

This was erected by by Barry Kennerk on 01 September 2010, so it had been placed here since my previous visit to this pub. This event followed the Fenian Rising of 1867 CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO

Dress Code: During the daytime this was mainly casual - jeans and T- Shirts, vest tops and cardigans etc.
    I guess at night, it would be a mix of Casual and Smart Casual

• Beer Tasting

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

Traditional Pubs: Making Irish friends!!

by Kodi01 Updated Feb 1, 2004

I of course make friends with the locals, talk about the country, etc.

This is the table next to ours, they were meeting family and friends, which is a custom in Ireland.

Dress Code: Casual to nice dress should be the dress code I think. I was a bit too casual as I traveled light for the first time to Europe.

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Temple Bar Area: Hit the street!

by Bilimari Written May 22, 2006

Temple bar could become a tourist trap, the drinks are a bit higher and you'll be sitting next to the tourists in restaurants. But it also is Dublin's cultural quarter with art galleries, street performers, festivals, etc. In addition to some nice restaurants, pubs, clubs, and shops, there are art center, music center, and theater. The street is very busy all day long especially at night. Go out there, and join the cloud. Have a pint with locals and visitors from other countries!

Dress Code: Dress as you wish.

• ccmoira's Profile Photo

Temple Bar Area: 5 euro for a pint

by ccmoira Written Apr 11, 2003

One Irish friend of mine, who I met at the hostel, was complaining to me about the prices in the Temple Bar area of Dublin. He said that anything over 3.50 was outrageous (for a pint of Guinness). I have to agree, though for me that's an outstandingly good price. Last time I was in the States I paid about 5 euro for a pint of Guinness (and, of course, it wasn't even that good).
    The Temple Bar section of town is where it's all "happening" though. Lots of students, though there are bars that cater to a slightly older crowd. There are also some touristy places (i.e. traps).
    I avoided it for the most part so I don't really have any recommendations.

Dress Code: Whatever - as usual it depends on who you want to impress and how much.

• School Holidays
    • Work Abroad
    • Study Abroad

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Auld Dubliner: Pubs: the Auld Dubliner

by call_me_rhia Updated Apr 4, 2011

map to the Auld Dubliner

The Auld Dubliner is as close as a real Dubliner pub that one can get, in Temple Bar at least. There's nothing fancy in its old wooden furniture, but the staff's friendly and the pints are good, really good. A plus is that it has not yet been completely taken over by tourists - although there's quite a fair share of them.

Dress Code: definitely informal.

• zone_de_guerre's Profile Photo

Temple Bar Area: Avoid this kip!

by zone_de_guerre Written Jun 3, 2007

To be honest this place is an absolute dive. The throngs of hen and stag parties love this but to be honest it's expensive and full of pubs and clubs I wouldnt touch with a barge pole. The best spots in Temple Bar is the Thunder Road cafe for their cocktails and food, the Porter House which I love for their own brews and beers/ciders from around the world and the live music . If you are looking for some decent places, try the aforementioned places or the following

Keatings - Mary St- a converted church over the north side of the River, near the Jervis St. Luas stop . Fabulous food, non strict door policy, friendly staff, good wine and beer.

Traffic - good club, good music - guaranteed to get you dancing

The Portobello - a bit outside the city centre but good for a late night drink and the tunes played at the weekend really have you on the dancefloor

Bleeding Horse - Camden St - Late Bar, good music

For gay/lesbain community - The George

Dress Code: Definitley Casual!

• Gay and Lesbian

• birchy99's Profile Photo

Temple Bar Area: Daytime At Temple Bar

by birchy99 Written Oct 3, 2004

My regret was that I didn't get to do an evening tour of the Temple Bar area. Being of advanced age I was totally exhausted by evening and could think of nothing better than, dinner, a pint, and bed. Another hinderance was the fact that I was staying out of the downtown area and had a lengthy train ride to my quarters.
    According to the guide books there are many music tours one can take, but many don't operate in January, I was told. At any rate, when I return I'm going to make sure I take one night to experience the "Bar." I need to see if it's really as seedy as I've been told.

• lbhspatriot's Profile Photo

Temple Bar Area: Part of Dublin that never sleeps!

by lbhspatriot Updated Dec 28, 2008

Being Dublin's cultural quarter Temple Bar has a lively nightlife that is popular with tourists.
    After dark, the area is a major centre for nightlife, with many tourist-focused nightclubs, restaurants and bars. Pubs in the area include The Porterhouse, the Oliver St. John Gogarty, the Turk's Head, the Temple Bar and many others!
    Many people however percieve Temple Bar as dirty, overcrowded and see nothing entertaing about it. If you prefer a pint drinken in tranquility try some Pubs on the Southside. However have in mind that the Irish enjoy nightlife and probably all Pubs in Dublin will be overcrowded!
    In my opininon a visit in Temple Bar is a must for every tourist, if you haven't been in the area at some point, you haven't seen Dublin at all!

Dress Code: The dress code is: no dress code!
    Wear whatever you like, I got the impression that the less you wear the better (especially you gals).

• Singles
    • Gay and Lesbian

• lbhspatriot's Profile Photo

Turk's Head: Where you can drink and dance

by lbhspatriot Written Feb 9, 2008

Turks Head is a stylish Bar at the west end of Temple Bar. It is a standard Pub for most of the evening but at about 11 o'clock the lower area opens and that's when you can have a blast! But remember to come early since only if you come before the dance floor opens is when the admission is free!
    It is a nice place, my favorite actually from all Temple Bar Pubs. It can be very crowded however and the dancefloor is rather small, but I never heard anyone complain!

Dress Code: There is no dress code, but be presentable, other people have eyes too.
    There is an age limit however, you have to be 18 and ID cards are required.

Instant Answers: Dublin