Howth, Dublin

Know about this? Rate It!

• That's me in Howth, not wanting to leave Ireland!
    That's me in Howth, not wanting to leave...
    by Jefie
  • anatlc's Profile Photo

well...

by anatlc Updated Apr 4, 2011

Nice, no? :)

I saw this place at all possible weather conditions.
    My favourite thing about it - well, there is a hill there which you have to climb. Once on top of it you can see the sea on one side, Dublin on the other and a golf course below you. Its really nice. Getting up there is a bit slippy, a bit up hill (naturally) but definitely worth it.
    Think this is probably my number 2 when it comes to my favourite places in Dublin. Or should I say around Dublin.

• jeoren's Profile Photo

To Howth

by jeoren Updated Feb 9, 2006

Howth

When you've seen enough of Dublin, take the citytrain to Howth. On the coast of the Irish Sea you'll have an amazing view at the island on the picture.

Also take a walk to the lighthouse in the small harbour; it's highly recommended to go to this lighthouse at sunset.

• Trains

• mrdarius's Profile Photo

St. Mary's Church

by mrdarius Written Mar 15, 2003

St. Mary's Church in Howth

Also out in Howth is St. Mary's church. It's hard to describe exactly where it is, but you ask anyone who is around how to get to that really old-looking church near the DART station, and they'll tell you how. One of the oldest in Ireland.

• Religious Travel
    • Archeology

• Olenka1's Profile Photo

Beautiful peninsula

by Olenka1 Written Aug 25, 2007

Situated in north-east county Dublin, this beautiful scenic peninsula has a lot to offer. You can visit Howth castle, go for a picturesque walk over cliff tops, or just enjoy the walk around the harbour. There's lots of nice restaurants and take-aways if you get hungry. Or if you into golf there's Howth golf club too. It's a nice place to go for everyone, especially nice for a romantic evening by the sea.

• munchie_cat's Profile Photo

Howth (I found out that it was...

by munchie_cat Written Aug 26, 2002

Howth (I found out that it was pronounced HOwth, and not HOWth...I am now educated on that and much wiser!)

We took the DART up to Howth, it was very reasonably priced and only a 20 minute journey (on a very clean and spacious train I might add).

Once there, we headed straight for the Bloody Stream, a Pub/Restaurant place reknowned for it's seafood. Admittedly though, it wasn't quite as varied in seafood options as I was expecting but the food was excellent nonetheless. As for why it is called the Bloody Stream, ask the staff. That's what they all say....I could tell you but I really can't be bothered (as well as being a bit blurry on the blurb I read on the placemats when I was there).

We didn't manage to get up the top to see the castle as the weather was awful, it was freezing cold. So we just contented ourselves with a walk around the fishing village and up to the lighthouse, took some photos, yet to scan in....

Apologies for the quality of the pic I have placed, as I don;t have a scanner, I did the next best thing and took a pic of my photo with my digicam...it'll do for now!

• Antji's Profile Photo

Make a trip to Howth

by Antji Written Aug 26, 2002

beautiful area

I can recommend everybody to make a trip to HOWTH. It´s a small peninsula north of Dublin.
    There you can relaxe and hike from your stressed trip between too much tourists and too much traffic of Dublin. And a special recommendation is IRELAND'S EYE(picture). It´s a seperate very small Island next to Howth. You can go by a small boat to this Ireland. There are so few people and only nature - no buildings or houses, no traffic and a very beautiful quiet landscape... I had have a beautiful time there!

• Fishing
    • Hiking and Walking

• Wenasje's Profile Photo

Howth: A little coastal town...

by Wenasje Written Aug 25, 2002

Howth: A little coastal town right outside Dublin. It's really beautiful and you can get there easily with the Dart. (sort of commuter train)

• Deefstes's Profile Photo

by Deefstes Updated Feb 28, 2003
    Dublin bay and the Bull Islan from Howth Head

Howth (rhymes with "oath" not "mouth") is a suburb of Dublin on a peninsula north of the bay. It's a lovely fishing village where you can have a peaceful stroll along the harbour or buy some of the best and cheapest fish you will find in Dublin.

There are walks up Howth Head which offers splendid views over Dublin. In fact, the top of Howth Head gives a view stretching from Bray Head in the south all the way to the Mountains of Mourne in Northern Ireland - the longest stretch of coastline that can be seen from any point in Ireland.

• Deefstes's Profile Photo

Redrocks

by Deefstes Written Feb 28, 2003
    Redrocks

The isthmus that connects dublin with the peninsual of Howth is called Sutton. Along the shore there's an area called Redrocks where very nice walks are to be had.

Give it a try if you want to get out of Dublin's hustle and bustle for a while.

• LauraWest's Profile Photo

Don't Miss Nearby Seaside Town

by LauraWest Written Jul 30, 2005

Abbey with Sea in Background

I've started some tips on my Howth page. I'm really glad that I took the DART train to this charming place, away from the city.

• Trains
    • Beaches

• audtrikat's Profile Photo

by audtrikat Written Aug 11, 2004

Howth Harbour

Howth is an amazing place which is serviced by bus routes and by the DART. Watch seals feeding in the harbour, buy books at the second-hand sales on a sunday or go for a walk along the gorgeous pier!

Instant Answers: Dublin