Luggage, Dublin

• Luggage
    by kellensdad
  • Mosie's Profile Photo

by Mosie Updated Aug 26, 2002

Luggage and bags: For both luggage and a bag to carry with you around Dublin, do as you would for any other large city. Make sure you keep hold of your things, and for women who carry a purse, sling the shoulder strap across your chest and take the type that zips shut.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Sounds silly, but shoes that are not only comfy but sturdy are a good idea - cobblestone streets are in the older neighborhoods. On my first trip over I wore shoes that were confortable for walking long distances but were also the slip-on wedge-sole variety - ah, the follies of fashion. Of course I twisted my ankle on the cobblestones right away (luckily not badly) - learned my lesson for the next trip!

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: For those with hair that tends to frizz (and who mind such things), don't forget that you're heading for a damp climate and bring along whatever product you control your flyaways with. But you know, this is a major city, you can buy anything you might need once there.

• thunderbox's Profile Photo

by thunderbox Updated Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: My friend and I both carried bags with 1200 cu in capacity. We fit in 2 weeks worth of clothes, shoes and other junk.
    The bags weren't that big so we didn't look like complete tools, but at times we did wish we had packed more!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Don't even think about bringing shorts. It is never warm in Ireland. I'm convinced of this fact. We were there in August and it was friggin cold!!!
    I'd suggest packing pants, long sleeve shirts, maybe one or 2 short sleeve shirts, a jacket, a pair of sneakers and one pair of nice shoes.
    Oh yeah, it rains constantly also, so I'd bring a raincoat. Even though everyone says you look like a dork, who cares. It's better than being a freezing wet cool dude.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Bring flip flops for the shower if you're hostelling. I forgot these and my feet are now covered in warts and fungus. Just kidding, honest.
    I'd bring them though. You never know what you may be sharing that shower floor with.

Photo Equipment: Bring lots of film! I think I went thorough about 10 rolls in 2 weeks

• Wenasje's Profile Photo

by Wenasje Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: I never take more than 1 trolley with me or a backpack. Whatever I really miss when I am at my destination, Ill try to buy it there. Of course this doesn't work in every destination, but in Ireland this should be no problem.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It's true: bring an umbrella!!
    And if you're traveling around put on your walking shoes.

• ZoeB's Profile Photo

by ZoeB Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: ruck sack is the best thing to bring, it is a very busy area, you don't want to be dragging a suitcase around.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: the weather is very similar to that in Great Britain, therefore bring lots of jumpers and warm clothes especially in Autumn and winter

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: warm clothes

• Ric's Profile Photo

by Ric Written Aug 24, 2002

Luggage and bags: Travel light! One soft-side expandable bag is sufficient.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: During the summer I found most places informal. You need a sweater for the evenings (of course you can buy one at Christy's). Jeans or Khaki pants seemed acceptable almost everywhere. A jacket is recommended for attending classical music concerts, although jeans and shirtsleeves have been spotted at concert halls.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Everything is available.

Photo Equipment: Everything is available. I had some difficulty finding 800 ASA film outside the city, though.

• kellensdad's Profile Photo

by kellensdad Written Aug 25, 2002

Luggage and bags: Backpack, suitcase or briefcase, Dublin is fast becoming a international city.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Bring good shoes and a gore-tex jacket to keep the rain off.

Instant Answers: Dublin