Beshoff's Restaurant, Dublin

by TELETRES
  • sourbugger's Profile Photo

Beshoff's Restaurant: Upmarket fish & chips

by sourbugger Updated Mar 24, 2014

Fish and chips took off in Ireland the same way as they did in Britain. Here they tend to be called 'chippers' rather than 'chippies' - but beyond that there is little difference.

Harry Ramsden's emerged in Britain as a more upmarket Fish & chip restaurant - and a similar thing happened in Dublin.

Beshoffs two city centre restaurants are both worth visting, although I personally prefer the atmosphere of the one in Westmorland Street.

I find the self-service system somewhat annoying because it means your food is often not quite as piping hot as you would wish by the time you get back to your table - but it does help to keep the prices down to a reasonable level.

The decor is very pleasant with high ceilings and checkboard tiled floors - the company claims it wants them to look like Edwardian Oyster bars !

Favorite Dish: A Standard Cod and Chips will set you back about 9 euro - so it's still cheap by Dublin Standards.

• Beshoff's: Pass on this one

by expatsaura Written Oct 15, 2011

While on vacation, we stopped here because of a sign for fish and chips or salad for 8.25, without knowing their reputation. The fish (cod and haddock) was soggy, even without vinegar or sauce. And completely tasteless. We opted for salad instead of chips, but the dressing was also tasteless. Overall bad experience.

• Renescheffer's Profile Photo

Beshoff's Restaurant: Quick but quiet and a lot of space.

by Renescheffer Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is not me/we !

"So... are there any chippers in Dublin where ?
    1) The fish is fresh, glistening and tasty
    2) the batter is thin, crisp and cooked through
    3) the chips are tasty and non-greasy
    4) the food is hot
    If you know a chipper that meets these four parameters I'd love to hear of it. "

This is what i read in a forum.

And how does Beshoff cope with these parameters ?

1. 75 %. Fish taste is OK but there are no herbs used.

2. 75 %. Not very crispy.

3. 70 %. They better could have stayed 2 minutes more in the oil.

4. 100 %. In a kind of restaurant as this the hotness could be the weak point but it isnt !

The serve fisch (haddock, sole, cod), chips and coleslaw for about 7-9 euro. Dont forget to ask for garlicmayonaise. Sometimes there are special offers for 6 ore 7 euro and / or second (20 cl) wine free.

The setting is OK; there is space enough between the tables and there are papers to read. The assistence is fast and no one is hurrying you up.

Favorite Dish: Lemon sole with chips.

• isolina_it's Profile Photo

Beshoff's Restaurant: Fish & Chips alternative

by isolina_it Updated Apr 4, 2011

Beshoff place is not bad either for fish&chips, but less satisfying after the Leo Burdock experience though there are good places to sit. To me, it also was less oily but maybe less tasty.
    I was in the one on O` Connell street, nice view from the top on the avenue.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Beshoff Bros.: Another good fish and chip shop

by Dabs Updated Sep 25, 2010

Haddock and cod

After wandering around central Dublin trying to decide what to eat, we finally headed back to the Mespil Hotel where we were staying in Ballsbridge and ate a few doors down from the hotel at Beshoff Bros. I'm not sure if this place is affiliated with Beshoff Restaurant on O'Connell Street, the website for this place lists restaurants on Mespil Road where we ate and also in Howth and Clontarf. Beshoff Restaurant on O'Connell appears to have food served on real plates with real cutlery, our food was served in a takeaway container with plastic cutlery, there are tables to eat at inside.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the haddock and chips (€6.95) and David had the cod and chips (€7.95), I liked the haddock much better than the cod and need to remember which I prefer the next time I head to the UK or Ireland. I didn't have Leo Burdock's on this trip so probably not fair to compare but I thought Beshoff was as good as my recollection of my meal Leo Burdock plus they have seating which is an added bonus with Irish weather. The fish was fried fresh so there was a little wait but that is much preferred to fish that's been sitting around. The fish and the chips were not at all greasy and the fish was fried perfectly.

• Kushelkitten's Profile Photo

Beshoff's Restaurant: Fish and Chips

by Kushelkitten Updated May 13, 2007
    Logo

Normally i dont eat things like fish and chips but figured Id walked so much it wouldnt hurt. Im glad I did. The food was quite good. Nice selection between Cod, Haddock, and even shark and ray.
    In a lot of places you have to worry about whether the food is fresh but they seem to catch it from boats out of Howth, a suburb to Dublin's north. I saw while I was in Howth and walked back to the station a "Beshoff Fishmongers" sign on a warehouse type building near the marina.

Favorite Dish: I had the cod platter which is a large fried filet of cod, chips (fries), and coleslaw with a choice of coffee or tea for €9,50. For the amount of food it was worth the price but I coudlnt finish it all. Very tasty though!

• hevbell's Profile Photo

Beshoff's Restaurant: Beshoff's

by hevbell Updated Nov 4, 2006

beshoffs

A fish and chip restaurant which seems to be a cross between old world restaurant and fast food. The counter has that fast food burger joint feel but when you go upstairs to the seating area there is a much nicer ambience. Its been around since around 1913 so that has to say something for the quality of the food, for it to have lasted so long.
    We went to their restaurant on O'Connell Street and had a lovely satisfying and relatively cheap meal there. They have a huge range of fish to choose from and apparently its all bought fresh from the docks and offers can change depending on the catches etc They use peanut oil to fry in which is a little bit healthier.

Favorite Dish: I went for the lemon sole and chips which was only €6.20. I don't generally eat battered fish very often, as I find a lot of batter is a bit soggy and I end up leaving it, but this was really crisp and nice and I ate every last morsel!! The big chunky chips were lovely too. I also ordered a side dish of onion rings and they were huge, definitely enough to share.

• TELETRES's Profile Photo

FISH AND CHIPS SHOP BESHOFF: FISH AND CHIPS SHOP BESHOFF

by TELETRES Updated Jan 2, 2004

ENGLISH VERSION Hungry? Just stop at BESHOFF's at any time of the day or evening. They serve good fish and chips for € 6.50, tea for € 0.90, soft drink about € 1.5 VERSION FRANCAISE Une petite faim ? Arrêtez-vous donc chez BESHOFF's ; à n'importe quelle heure du jour et dans la soirée, vous pourrez déguster un FISH & CHIPS (poisson et frites) pour 6.5 €, un thé pour 0.9 € et une boisson non alcoolisée pour 1.5 € environ.

Favorite Dish: FISH & SHIPS

• acemj's Profile Photo

Beshoff's Restaurant: Don't bother

by acemj Updated Jul 9, 2003

I wanted to try some fish and chips and this place looked good, but unfortunately I didn't like it too much. It seemed liked dressed up fast food. The fish didn't really have much flavor and the prices were pretty high for what you get. I was told by an American friend to try the curry chips. They weren't bad.

Favorite Dish: Curry chips

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

Beshoff's Restaurant: FOR BEST FISH & CHIPS....

by eden_teuling Written Oct 26, 2003

RESTAURANT INFO FISH & CHIPS...

The best place, quick service, friendly staff, ample place also on the 1st floor!!

Good tasting food for every hour of the day & evening....

Instant Answers: Dublin