Bewley's, Dublin

by BillNJ
  • Bewley's: Great Hot Chocolate

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 25, 2005

Bewleys Grafton Street

It was recommended that while we were in Dublin we should go to the famous Bewleys for their hot choccy. Unfortunately the Bewleys in Grafton St only now serves takeaway hot drinks. The upstairs restaurant closed last year.

The good news is.... round the corner in Dawson St there is a Bewleys above Waterstones. So you can get a book and a hot chocolate at the same time. They have lovely comfy seats and serve Danish pastries etc.

Favorite Dish: We had a couple of apple danish pastries and two fabulously creamy hot chocolate drinks and paid 8.90Euros.

• BillNJ's Profile Photo

Bewley's Oriental Cafe: Full Irish Breakfast at a Dublin Landmark

by BillNJ Updated Dec 17, 2009

My hotel, O'Callaghan's Stephens Green, did not include breakfast in the rate that I paid on hotels.com. Therefore, I decided to venture out to Bewley's Oriental Cafe on Grafton Street because it is a Dublin landmark. I arrived before the start of breakfast -- so I first enjoyed some tea. Since I arrived early, I obtained a seat near the front window -- which was great for people watching on the busy Grafton Street.

At breakfast time, I ordered the full Irish breakfast. Everything was standard except for one unique twist -- it included a small bowl of Bewley's special relish.

The price was a little more than average, but it was still less than my hotel's breakfast buffet.

In addition to the food, Bewley's is a special Irish landmark -- and, in particular, the Grafton Street location. The Bewley family were Quakers who originated in France. They succeeded in breaking the East India Tea Company's monopoly -- and imported tea from China directly into Dublin. Subsequently, the Bewley family expanded into the coffee trade -- and opened a few cafés in Dublin.

Ernest Bewley opened the Grafton Street café in November 1927. It was a huge vote of confidence in a city and country that had recently endured the Irish War for Independence and Irish Civil War. Also of note, the building had once housed Whyte’s Academy, a school whose pupils included The Duke of Wellington and Robert Emmet.

Favorite Dish: Full Irish breakfast with Bewley's special relish

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Bewley's Cafe: Good spot for breakfast on Grafton Street

by Jefie Updated Apr 4, 2011

Breakfast at Bewley's Cafe

Since our hotel was located close to Grafton Street, we ended up having breakfast at Bewley's Cafe twice during the week. Bewley's is the most popular brand of tea and coffee in Ireland, and the coffeehouse on Grafton Street dates back to 1927. It is pretty big and quite popular - of course you'll find some visitors, but also plenty of locals stopping for breakfast before going to work. I loved the selection of organic yogurt and porridge - at 5 Euros for a bowl it wasn't exactly cheap, but it came with a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice and a cup of coffee, so it turned out to be a good deal. Just make sure you're not in too much of a hurry: service can be a bit slow when they place gets crowded.

Favorite Dish: The brown sugar and cream organic porridge was delicious and very filling!

• curiouslumi's Profile Photo

Bewley's Oriental House: Great place for breakfast!

by curiouslumi Written Dec 12, 2003

Bewley's Oriental House

Local food and you can select from 3 to 7 items to eat.

For my liking it was not that much about the food as it was about the atmosphere. You are feeling at home and relaxed even if you are on your own. Surrounded by art and old books, it is worth to walk around the place before/after the food itself.

There is also a tea/coffee retail store at the entrance. I bought a pack of smoked tea and like it.

The place is open late in night.

Favorite Dish: 5 items breakfast including bacon, eggs and puddings with the whole pot of fine tea was 7.15E.

Good value comparing to hotel's options.

• Singles
    • Business Travel

• lbhspatriot's Profile Photo

Bewley's: Best Coffee in Dublin

by lbhspatriot Updated Mar 11, 2010

Bewley's famous café on Dublin's Grafton Street has been an essential part of the city's life, located in the heart of the shopping district it has become a cherished landmark.
    The explosion of coffee shops in Dublin over the past few decades has meant a lot of competition for this traditional café, but this one is a challege even for Starbucks!
    Part of the Cafe was bought and changes into a restaurant, but there is a small cafe left that serves famous coffees and Irish bakery products.
    You can sit down and drink it inside or just to a classic take away and sip this delicous coffee while walking through Grafton street.

Favorite Dish: There is a variety of coffees all of which are said to be superb, Latte being the Dubs' favorite drink, as to me, my ultimate favorite is Bewleys Mocha, which is so sweet I do not need to add sugar to it!

Also you have to try Irish Scones if you decide to sit down inside Bewleys building.

ps. I decided to delete the menu temporarly as there have been some changes. Hopefully it will be back in no time ;)

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

Bewley's Oriental Cafe: Nice place for some sweets

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 3, 2009

Ferni and I were on our way to Grafton Street for some shopping and we decided to stop here for a quick mid-morning meal before hitting the pavement.

When you enter the cafe you'll see the display case of all sorts of goodies to your left and to the right a small sitting area for those who just want to grab something quick. We decided to be seated in the larger dining area where you get the full feel of the ambiance of this place.

The restaurant is really nice, it has beautiful stained glass windows in certain sections of the restuarant with many tables and booths.

We sat down at a nice table over looking some really nice windows and we placed our order. I was in the mood for some really yummy hot chocolate and so was Ferni so we both decided to order that along with a scone. I love Irish scones, they are so yummy and went perfect with my hot chocolate.

They have a prettly large selection of all sorts of sweets, coffees, and dishes to choose from.

Favorite Dish: Yummy hot chocolate and a scone with butter and jam.

• acemj's Profile Photo

Bewley's Cafe: Since 1840 . . .

by acemj Updated Jul 9, 2003

Bewley's is definitely a Dublin tradition. It's a chain, but the one on Grafton Street is the best for ambience (Westmoreland Street is good too). The sticky buns are good. I also stopped in one evening for a cup of tea, which comes is looseleaf tea served in a small teapot. Very good.

Favorite Dish: The tea is good. You can order it online at http://goodwoods.safeshopper.com/15/852.htm?748

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Bewley's: Resting with Carrot Cake!

by painterdave Written Apr 28, 2011

Choices

We walked and hunted for a coffee house as our feet were dying from walking all day going from one place to another. Finally....Bewley's appeared before us and we went in to enjoy a rest, great coffee, and cake. They have many choices, we tried carrot cake and lemon pie.. both perfectly made.
    While there we sat and enjoyed the big stained glass windows that were saved because the new owner who came left them for all to enjoy. The restaurant had been shut down for some time, and the local citizens searched for someone to come and keep the windows intact.
    The restaurant has seated upstairs and in several different rooms.
    Service was good for the number of people there.
    This is worth one stop during your stay, you will probably return.
    400 seats
    Reservations taken
    Wheelchair accessible
    Groups and parties catered for
    Children welcome/Children’s menu available
    Baby changing facilities and high chairs available
    Seating on four floors with private dining area
    All major credit cards accepted
    Open 7 days a week till late

Favorite Dish: The also have pizza, and other foods besides cakes.
    There were 4 people working in the pizza area, so you can judge from that about the food quality.
    This is NOT a pub.

• Bewley's: If you only go to 1 cafe' make it Beweley's!

by ema231259 Written Nov 6, 2006

Located centrally, what a little gem ! You enter through their take-away bakery and fresh ground coffe shop ( i can smell it just remembering it ). As you enter the main eating area, it takes your breath away. Its beautifull, high period ceilings with elegant chandaliers, stained glass windows most cathedrals would be proud of and roaring open fires. You can sit in an open area or in the more intimate boothed area. It has a very warm welcoming feeling with a gentle buzz as the friendly, very efficient staff REALLY, look after their customers.
    The staff are all friendly,welcoming, very helpfull and know all about whats on the menu !
    On taking your order, your drinks arrive almost immediately, followed very quickly by your fresh, hot order ( not that you'd mind if it didn't as the surroundings are so lovely !).
    The big surprise is how small the bill is - a full breakfast priced at 8.50 euros ( the same price charged elsewhere by other web recomended cafe's but giving lots more for the money !)

Favorite Dish: Full breakfast - consisting of 2 slices of bacon, sausage, black & white pudding, egg, tomato, mushrooms and their own homemade brown bread ( to die for !) @ 8.50 euros.
    Organic porridge ( in a bottomless bowl !) served with maple syrup and a pecan nut mountain ( really !) , the nuts must have cost more than the 3.80 euros charged for the porridge.

My tip - Buy some of their own made 'brown bread' ( as served with breakfast ) or the Guiness & treackle bread to take home. It costs 2 euros a loaf and is sold in the shop. BUT you have to ask for it, as you'd never guess they sell it, as it's hidden at the back of all the cakes ! Its the best I've ever tasted, anywhere in the world !!!

• Bewley's: Breakfast at the Crack of Dawn

by ElaineCatherine Written Jan 10, 2007

Street Scene in front of Bewley's

The building is absolutely gorgeous! It's truly an amazement. Bewley's was our first meal in Dublin. We flew in on the overnight flight, and then went over to our hotel which was right around the corner from Grafton Street. We stashed our luggage, and then set off looking for a place to have breakfast. When we inquired, we were told to try Bewley's! Not knowing the city, we had a hard time finding it (really, it was just a little farther down the road than we had thought)

I had a porridge of some sort with fruit and coffee.. very strong coffee. The food was fine, but the place was great. I guess it's one of those 'you gotta go there' kind of places!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Bewleys Oriental Cafe: A real institution

by call_me_rhia Updated Aug 27, 2008

bewleys on grafton street

Normally you go to bewleys for 2 reasons. The great teas and the great atmosphere. The main one is in Grafton street (with really nice windowns), but there are several others around town. My favourite was the one at the back, on George's street - quieter and more intimate (and admittedly 500 yards closer to my home, too)

Favorite Dish: Not a dish, but a drink: tea! Bewley's grey or black teas are a unique experience. There's also a great selection of cakes (the apple and rhubarb crumble is heavenly) and sandwiches.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Bewley's Grafton Street Café: Meh - Not the Best Hot Chocolate but not too Bad

by BeatChick Updated Dec 27, 2010

Bewley's Caf�� - Hot Chocolate

Cozy little place to pop in for quick hot drink. The tables are a bit small and cramped but no one seemed to mind as there were quite a few people out on a date here.

The hot chocolate was okay. Hard to be kind to this hot chocolate when I'd just had the best at Angélina in Paris. Bewley's is a bit sweet and thin for me but the pink marshmallow was cute.

Would be an ideal place to while away a rainy afternoon reading a book tucked away at a table overlooking Grafton Street (which has no shortage of bookstores!).

Hot chocolate = 3.10 euro

Photos: April 2010

• Bewley's Cafe: Bewley's Cafe

by sabsi Updated Aug 12, 2003

Bewley's in Grafton Street

This is the most traditional place to get a coffee in Dublin. It's a nice place to kill some time reading a book or a newspaper while having a drink...

Favorite Dish: A drink and a book. I could sit here for ages and just enjoy the atmosphere....

• Krystynn's Profile Photo

O.K., I've had quite a handful...

by Krystynn Written Aug 24, 2002

O.K., I've had quite a handful of people telling me to check out Bewley's Cafe (pic below), apparently a pretty famous joint for drinks and meals. I did just that.

My personal verdict?

Hm... It's no big deal if you ask me. Even the coffee served here is considered too mild and too blend for me.

Would I recommend anyone to dine here?

Yes and No.

Yes - if you're on a tight budget.

No - If you can afford to go somewhere better. And there are other better places just around the vicinity.

• TheFish's Profile Photo

Bewley's: Bewley's

by TheFish Written Aug 24, 2002

bewley's is the world's best coffeehouse. there's three of them in the city centre: henry street, westmoreland street and grafton street (pictured). the best and biggest one is grafton street. i'd warn you not to try their food as it is overpriced and crap. the snacks like scones and such are okay. their coffee is wonderful, however, as is the hot chocolate (they put marshmallows in it if you ask for them). if you go to the one on grafton street, go upstairs to the self-service cafe to get your drink. after you pay, walk straight through past all the wooden chairs and tables, past the lift to the last possible room. this is the james joyce room and you will find that the chairs are much more comfortable here. plus, during the summer they open the windows and you can stand out on the balcony and watch the people on grafton street. oh yeah, and you can smoke in this room.

Favorite Dish: coffee or hot chocolate

Instant Answers: Dublin