Gallagher's Boxty House, Dublin

4 out of 5 stars 4 Stars - 24 Reviews

Right in Temple Bar

by leafmcgowan
  • Gallaghers Boxty House: Allergic to this restaurant!!

by LLCoolK Written Sep 12, 2011

Incredibly disappointed. I'm allergic to spinach - a weird one I know, but as soon as I eat it, I get really sick. I said this to my waitress upon ordering. However, my salmon and brown bread starter arrived with a salad garnish including spinach. This was sent back and arrived back out with salad removed. Main course was black pudding salad. Once again this arrived out with spinach, I told the waitress and she took it back to the chef who must have told her to say that the spinach leaf was a form of Rocket - Absolute rubbish, each time she spoke to me, she spoke with a rather loud voice so that all other diners could hear the conversation. I was so embarassed. My friend tasted the "rocket" and yes indeed, it was spinach. I told the waitress that I didn't want to eat it as I get very sick so she said she wouldn't charge me. I'd think not! When my party had paid the bill and were gathering our things, the waitress asked if I'd like a complimentary drink - it was very obvious we were leaving, so no... I didn't want to make the other 5 people sit there and watch me drink! Terrible - will never go again!!!

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty Restaurant: Gallagher's Boxty Restaurant

by leafmcgowan Written Aug 23, 2010

After this amazing traditional Irish dining experience I must say ... I've become a great fan of Boxty! Lovely ambiance, great setting, traditional feel, and friendly staff. The Seafood Boxty was to die for! The pear cider was lovely as well. Right in the heart of the Temple Bar Area ... Gallagher's attracts tourists and locals alike for this traditional dish they are so well known for. A little more higher end priced meals, but certainly well worth it, and tasty I'm sure to be back again. Boxty is a traditional IRish potato pancake cooked on a griddle and served with a filling. Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5.

Favorite Dish: seafood boxty ...

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Wouldn't Have Missed this for the World!

by BeatChick Written Jun 4, 2010

Gaelic Boxty

Ah, here's another lovely choice for the Temple Bar area - Gallagher's Boxty House! The food was wonderful and it was great to try a traditional Irish dish - boxty!

Favorite Dish: My dish was the traditional Gaelic Boxty, which is steak medallions marinated in whiskey, rolled up in a traditional Irish boxty (flour & potato) pancake (rather like a crèpe, really) enveloped in a mushroom & cracked black peppercorn cream sauce. Tender & divine!

My boxty was about 17 euro while Ian's burger was about 14.

Photos: April 2010

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Irish food in Temple Bar

by Dabs Written Jul 26, 2009

Boxty

After several days of eating pizza and other non Irish meals, I wanted to try some Irish food before I left Ireland and I had remembered seeing good reviews of Gallagher's Boxty House despite it's location in the heart of the over touristy Temple Bar section of Dublin. So I wandered in at a rather odd hour, I think it was well after 2pm, probably closer to 3pm and found no trouble getting a table. The lunch specials, I believe, were served until 4pm and were reasonably priced at 9.95€.

Favorite Dish: Although there were some nice looking specials on the lunch menu, I had come here to try a boxty, a traditional Irish potato pancake cooked on a griddle and served with a filling. I went with a beef boxty, Irish Rump Steak marinated in stout & braised with mushrooms, fresh herbs & horseradish (14.95€). It had a nice flavor but for the portion size I thought it was way overpriced, perhaps a direct result of eating in a restaurant in the tourist trap section of town.

• Gallagher's Boxty House Temple Bar: Fab food and reasonable prices

by StephCracknell Written Jun 15, 2008

Hubby and I went to the restaurant only because it was right near the hotel however we were pleasantly surprised!

I had the boxty with corned beef and cabbage and hubby had the irish strew with brown bread.

Both were absolutely delicious and filling, and were definitely reasonably prices as well. It is a casual atmosphere but quite lively and the staff were all quite attentive and friendly. We even went back for lunch the next day for soup and boxty for me and hubby had soup and dumplings, again, both were delish!

I would definitely recommend this restaurant!

Favorite Dish: Boxty! Lovely taste and quite filling!

• Gallagher's Boxty House: Quite scrumptious!

by mmatthej1 Updated Jan 20, 2008

Fully expected to suffer a rip-off simply because of its location in Temple Bar but FAR FROM IT!

The boxty's were priced at a very fair c.15E level, so good value for the meals, we thought.

We had a fairly priced bottle of wine to accompany but there is also Murphys to be had (free pint, if you bring along voucher from their brochure, found in usual hotel racks)

It's a busy place but waiters are always on the case and there when you need them, tho' not asking the usual inane "are you enjoying it" stuff all the time, thank goodness!

Liked is so much that we came back, next night!!

Favorite Dish: We selected Seafood and Vegi Boxtys and were delighted with the amount, quality, appearance and taste of them - we didn't quite know what to expect but found them to be light local pacakes around excellent ingredients, with nice garnish and options for extra such as excellent seasonal veggies and brown bread, which turnede out to be own-baked soda bread - v. good!

• Gallagher's Boxty House: Bland food, RUDE hostess

by NearyEsq Written Nov 9, 2007

My boyfriend and I visited Gallagher's on a cold, rainy, autumn day last October (2007) hoping for a savory stew. With the exception of a short and squat hostess -- auburn hair, mid-thirties -- the wait staff was polite and responsive. The hostess, by contrast, had no problem ignoring regular customers in her efforts to impress a foreign food critic. (I had the pleasure of being seated next to the critic.)

My largest source of dissatisfaction with the restaurant was with the hostess. Upon arriving to a full restaurant (admittedly w/o reservations at 6:30 pm), the hostess told us -- in a very confrontational manner -- there was a one hour wait, and that we should walk around outside -- in the rain! She said this even though no one else waiting ahead of us, and I could see that our name was first on the wait list. When I respinded that we would wait, she said, "well, I'm going to have to seat other people who had reservations ahead of you." -- an odd statement to make after telling me that the wait would be an hour since the only name on the reservation list was scheduled for an hour and a half later. She then left her podium to attend to the food critic, despite patrons walking in and asking about the wait. She made the couple who came in after us wait for 15 minutes -- as she spoon fed the critic -- before she approached the podium to tell them that the wait was now 2 hours long and that it "wasn't her fault" that she couldn't let them know that sooner. The gentleman proceeded to tell her off. About one minute later, a waiter approached the podium and -- SURPRISE-- mine was the first name he called to be seated. We'd waited a total of 17 minutes.

The food was nothing special; both the beef and lamb stew were bland, though the beef stew was slightly less bland. The toffee dessert is what earns this restaurant any starts at all -- it was rather good.

Favorite Dish: The toffee dessert

• Gallagher's Boxty House: Absolutely delicious

by simons_flower Written Apr 2, 2007

The restaurant almost doesn't seem like a restaurant at all, more like you've stepped into someone's home, albeit a very crowded home. The staff were very welcoming, even as most of them stepped outside to catch the last of the Ireland World Cup game on a TV across the street.

Favorite Dish: The boxty, hands down. I'd never had one, given that it's a traditional Irish dish, but it was delicious. The desserts were wonderful as well.

• mkvalya's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: great irish food!

by mkvalya Written Nov 15, 2006

the gallagher's is great! we went there for 2 dinners. remember..book in the afternoon !!!

food was great, we had 1 potato cake, 2 boxty , 1 dessert, and 1 irish coffee. beer and water. total price was 60 euro.

chilly boxty is..veeeeeeeeery chilly!!!!

chicken+leek boxty was faboulous!

1st night we were downstairs...a bit too much confusion, but it's ok.
    2nd night we were up...near the big window so..a great people sightseeing ;-) very funny!

Favorite Dish: chicken and leek boxty ..gnummy!
    potato cake and...
    ...a wonderful warm chocolate pudding!!!

• jo104's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Traditional Irish food

by jo104 Written Sep 30, 2005

We sat downstairs & the restaurant was very busy & fairly hot.
    I ordered an irish potatoe pancake with beef called a beef boxty it was quite filling & I ordered a side of vegetables. Others had various types of Irish stew which comes with a hunk of bread.

My meal cost Euro 14 + E 3 for the vegetables, steaks were a lot more pricey.
    Wine is fairly expensive with house being Euro 28, drinks bumped the prices up

Service was ok, although our waiter broke a whole stack of glasses right behind us & one dropped in someones lap.

• Cruefan's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Take a pass on this one

by Cruefan Updated May 31, 2005

Boxty-like

I first discovered Boxty in Providence, RI at a great Irish pub called Re Ra which has excellent Boxty, which is a traditional Irish pancake made out of potatoes usually wrapped around meat or poultry. When I was looking for restaurants for my trip to Dublin I noticed a restaurant called Gallaghers Boxty House. I thought great I'll be in Dublin an I like Boxty so I decided to check it out.

I knew the prices would be high because of the location, but I was very disappointed at the meal. The Boxty was not flavorful, and the filling of beef was equally bland. Saving the restaurant was Seona out waitress. She was very attentive and had a great personality.

However I cannot recommend this restaurant but that's just my opinion. I' sure there is great Boxty being served all over Dublin , but just not here.

Favorite Dish: I guess I'd have to say the Boxty.. but it wasn't good.

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Irish Grub

by sue_stone Written Jul 22, 2004

Dinner at Gallaghers

Gallaghers is a traditional Irish Restaurant in the heart of Temple Bar.

We chose this place for dinner as I had read good reviews and the food smelt good!

It was a busy, friendly place with a big menu and reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: We tried the Irish Stew and of course a Boxty, which is Gallaghers signature dish. It is a traditional Irish pancake, filled and rolled with a choice of fillings.

We managed to squeeze in dessert which was also quite good.

Oh, and of course washed it all down with a tasty bottle of Aussie Red!

• Gallagher's Boxty House: Boxtys every time a treat

by boxtyboy Written Jul 4, 2004

Traditional Irish food at its best!! Geat fun service in a warm friendly place. Cant tell you how much we enjoyed our two meals there. Go all i can say is 'GO!'

Favorite Dish: Beef Boxty, Chicken boxty and the sea-food

• Gallagher's Boxty House: Give this a miss

by djlgb Written Jun 6, 2004

Gallaher's Boxty House is in the heart of the Temple Bar area of Dublin. It's mentioned on many websites and is supposed to offer traditional Irish food.
    We found the food to be OK. However the cost and most importantly service is very poor. The staff have an arrogant attitude to the customers and seemed concerned in only "upselling" every item you choose. We visited with our two children and we all agreed this is certainly one we would never go back to.

Favorite Dish: Nothing in particular was outstanding, and they didn't even sell Guinness!

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Stew on this thought for food

by ChadSteve1975 Written Jun 4, 2004

Hmmm stew

Ah Irish Stew... in Ireland... it doesn't get more cliche than this.

Located in Temple Bar Gallaghers is an authentic Irish pub style restaurant with great food. And for a change of taste you'll get a fine drop of Murphy's instead of Guiness to wash it down with...

Favorite Dish: I went a hearty stew.... not bad special for lunch buy one get one free I think it was...

At about 14 Euro that wasn't to bad...

Instant Answers: Dublin

Comments

Hotels Near Gallagher's Boxty House
4.0 out of 5 stars