Gallagher's Boxty House, Dublin

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Irish Grub

by sue_stone Written Jul 22, 2004

Dinner at Gallaghers

Gallaghers is a traditional Irish Restaurant in the heart of Temple Bar.

We chose this place for dinner as I had read good reviews and the food smelt good!

It was a busy, friendly place with a big menu and reasonable prices.

Favorite Dish: We tried the Irish Stew and of course a Boxty, which is Gallaghers signature dish. It is a traditional Irish pancake, filled and rolled with a choice of fillings.

We managed to squeeze in dessert which was also quite good.

Oh, and of course washed it all down with a tasty bottle of Aussie Red!

• Cruefan's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Take a pass on this one

by Cruefan Updated May 31, 2005

Boxty-like

I first discovered Boxty in Providence, RI at a great Irish pub called Re Ra which has excellent Boxty, which is a traditional Irish pancake made out of potatoes usually wrapped around meat or poultry. When I was looking for restaurants for my trip to Dublin I noticed a restaurant called Gallaghers Boxty House. I thought great I'll be in Dublin an I like Boxty so I decided to check it out.

I knew the prices would be high because of the location, but I was very disappointed at the meal. The Boxty was not flavorful, and the filling of beef was equally bland. Saving the restaurant was Seona out waitress. She was very attentive and had a great personality.

However I cannot recommend this restaurant but that's just my opinion. I' sure there is great Boxty being served all over Dublin , but just not here.

Favorite Dish: I guess I'd have to say the Boxty.. but it wasn't good.

• jo104's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Traditional Irish food

by jo104 Written Sep 30, 2005

We sat downstairs & the restaurant was very busy & fairly hot.
    I ordered an irish potatoe pancake with beef called a beef boxty it was quite filling & I ordered a side of vegetables. Others had various types of Irish stew which comes with a hunk of bread.

My meal cost Euro 14 + E 3 for the vegetables, steaks were a lot more pricey.
    Wine is fairly expensive with house being Euro 28, drinks bumped the prices up

Service was ok, although our waiter broke a whole stack of glasses right behind us & one dropped in someones lap.

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Irish food in Temple Bar

by Dabs Written Jul 26, 2009

Boxty

After several days of eating pizza and other non Irish meals, I wanted to try some Irish food before I left Ireland and I had remembered seeing good reviews of Gallagher's Boxty House despite it's location in the heart of the over touristy Temple Bar section of Dublin. So I wandered in at a rather odd hour, I think it was well after 2pm, probably closer to 3pm and found no trouble getting a table. The lunch specials, I believe, were served until 4pm and were reasonably priced at 9.95€.

Favorite Dish: Although there were some nice looking specials on the lunch menu, I had come here to try a boxty, a traditional Irish potato pancake cooked on a griddle and served with a filling. I went with a beef boxty, Irish Rump Steak marinated in stout & braised with mushrooms, fresh herbs & horseradish (14.95€). It had a nice flavor but for the portion size I thought it was way overpriced, perhaps a direct result of eating in a restaurant in the tourist trap section of town.

• leafmcgowan's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty Restaurant: Gallagher's Boxty Restaurant

by leafmcgowan Written Aug 23, 2010

After this amazing traditional Irish dining experience I must say ... I've become a great fan of Boxty! Lovely ambiance, great setting, traditional feel, and friendly staff. The Seafood Boxty was to die for! The pear cider was lovely as well. Right in the heart of the Temple Bar Area ... Gallagher's attracts tourists and locals alike for this traditional dish they are so well known for. A little more higher end priced meals, but certainly well worth it, and tasty I'm sure to be back again. Boxty is a traditional IRish potato pancake cooked on a griddle and served with a filling. Rating: 4.5 stars out of 5.

Favorite Dish: seafood boxty ...

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Wouldn't Have Missed this for the World!

by BeatChick Written Jun 4, 2010

Gaelic Boxty

Ah, here's another lovely choice for the Temple Bar area - Gallagher's Boxty House! The food was wonderful and it was great to try a traditional Irish dish - boxty!

Favorite Dish: My dish was the traditional Gaelic Boxty, which is steak medallions marinated in whiskey, rolled up in a traditional Irish boxty (flour & potato) pancake (rather like a crèpe, really) enveloped in a mushroom & cracked black peppercorn cream sauce. Tender & divine!

My boxty was about 17 euro while Ian's burger was about 14.

Photos: April 2010

• munchie_cat's Profile Photo

Gallaghers Boxty House: A nice "Oirish" Boxty

by munchie_cat Written Oct 17, 2002

It sounds silly, but every time I go to Dublin, it's almost religion to make the first meal here at Gallaghers!
    Boxtys (is that the plural of Boxty?) are kinda like pancakes made out of potatos I think.
    Great food.

Favorite Dish: Gaelic Boxty. Great wholesome food!

• Gallagher's Boxty House: Quite scrumptious!

by mmatthej1 Updated Jan 20, 2008

Fully expected to suffer a rip-off simply because of its location in Temple Bar but FAR FROM IT!

The boxty's were priced at a very fair c.15E level, so good value for the meals, we thought.

We had a fairly priced bottle of wine to accompany but there is also Murphys to be had (free pint, if you bring along voucher from their brochure, found in usual hotel racks)

It's a busy place but waiters are always on the case and there when you need them, tho' not asking the usual inane "are you enjoying it" stuff all the time, thank goodness!

Liked is so much that we came back, next night!!

Favorite Dish: We selected Seafood and Vegi Boxtys and were delighted with the amount, quality, appearance and taste of them - we didn't quite know what to expect but found them to be light local pacakes around excellent ingredients, with nice garnish and options for extra such as excellent seasonal veggies and brown bread, which turnede out to be own-baked soda bread - v. good!

• mkvalya's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: great irish food!

by mkvalya Written Nov 15, 2006

the gallagher's is great! we went there for 2 dinners. remember..book in the afternoon !!!

food was great, we had 1 potato cake, 2 boxty , 1 dessert, and 1 irish coffee. beer and water. total price was 60 euro.

chilly boxty is..veeeeeeeeery chilly!!!!

chicken+leek boxty was faboulous!

1st night we were downstairs...a bit too much confusion, but it's ok.
    2nd night we were up...near the big window so..a great people sightseeing ;-) very funny!

Favorite Dish: chicken and leek boxty ..gnummy!
    potato cake and...
    ...a wonderful warm chocolate pudding!!!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Gallagher's Boxty House: good old traditional food

by call_me_rhia Written Sep 20, 2002

the boxty house

Let's be fair: the only place where one can sample this traditional speciallity is at the Gallagher's Boxty House, which is basically your average tourist trap. Then again boxties are so delicious that you really want to go there anyway. The interior. well, it looks like your typical tourist trap. But my advice is to go anyway.

Favorite Dish: boxties, obviously. A boxty is a sort of potatoes pancake serve with a selection of fillings: vegetarian, with meat or with seafood. Their Bailey's & Brown Bread
    ice-cream is heavenly.

• DAO's Profile Photo

GALLAGHER’S BOXTY HOUSE: TOTALLY (DELICIOUS) IRISH

by DAO Written May 17, 2014

GALLAGHER���S BOXTY HOUSE

If you are in Dublin, this is a MUST eat whether it is for lunch or dinner. This is Modern Irish Cuisine at its best. OK, so what is a Boxty? Boxties are the invention of Pádraic Óg Gallagher, a noted expert on potatoes (really). He developed 3 kinds of originally in Leitrim and they can be found in the border counties of Leitrim, Cavan and Fermanagh. And here in Dublin! Before I explain the 3 types of Boxty, let me just tell you how nice my experience was. I was greeted by my server who was wearing the official uniform which states “Totally Irish” on the sleeve. I received a warm Irish greeting, was served a cold Murphy’s Stout and my order taken. What arrived was a delicious dish that tasted so good, I made sure the plate was absolutely clean. A real delight!

OK, the 3 kinds of Boxty and how there are prepared:

BOILED
    Grated raw potato, cooked mash and flour, kneaded into dumplings, simmered for 12 minutes, chilled and sautéed in a little butter. Served with a sauce of your choice.

BAKED
    Grated raw potato, cooked mash and flour, kneaded with pure Irish butter and lovingly baked in the oven. Delicious!

PANCAKE
    Grated raw potato, cooked mash and flour, made into a batter with fresh milk and slow cooked in a pan until golden brown.

Favorite Dish:
    I had the super-delicious Chicken & Smoked Bacon Boxty €16.90. They describe it as ‘Free-range Irish Chicken Fillet in a Creamy Smoked Bacon & Leek Sauce, wrapped in a traditional Leitrim Boxty Pancake’. Please note the pancake is savoury (not sweet). I washed down this very filling dish with a cold Murphy’s Stout (recommended by me!).

Opening Hours:
    7 days a week
    12pm to 10.30pm (ish)

• Beer Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

• Carino's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Best Boxtys in town

by Carino Written Feb 16, 2004

We were on the way to try some local food and decided to head to a place in Temple Bar even though we know it'll cost more.

We chose The Boxty House and it was a very good choice. Waiting time was short (about 5 min.) and the service excellent.

Favorite Dish: I'd recommend Chicken Boxty as a main dish and Bread & Butter Pudding as a dessert. Don't go for the Guinness Cake, which doesn't taste that good.

Chicken Boxty cost EUR 12.95 and the Pudding is EUR 5.50. They include a service charge of about 12%.

• KitsyNMoxy's Profile Photo

Gallaghers Boxty House: What the heck is Boxty!?

by KitsyNMoxy Written Apr 21, 2003

Boxty is Brilliant!

Gallaghers is in Temple Bar. Any Dubliner will tell you to spend 10 minutes at most in the area before moving on to the "real" Dublin. We'd say you can safely stretch that to an hour or two as long as you spend the extra time in Gallaghers. Great traditional food in a relaxing atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Being in a "Boxty House" we didn't try anything but boxty, both times we were there. OK, we also tried the Murphys.... Boxty is a thin soft potato pancake stuffed with beef, chicken, lamb or fish filling. Quick and easy. Make it more filling by adding an order of Champ or Colcannon on the side. If you don't know what Champ or Colcannon is, then we guess you'll just have to go to Gallaghers and find out!

• ChadSteve1975's Profile Photo

Gallagher's Boxty House: Stew on this thought for food

by ChadSteve1975 Written Jun 4, 2004

Hmmm stew

Ah Irish Stew... in Ireland... it doesn't get more cliche than this.

Located in Temple Bar Gallaghers is an authentic Irish pub style restaurant with great food. And for a change of taste you'll get a fine drop of Murphy's instead of Guiness to wash it down with...

Favorite Dish: I went a hearty stew.... not bad special for lunch buy one get one free I think it was...

At about 14 Euro that wasn't to bad...

• Gallagher's Boxty House: Absolutely delicious

by simons_flower Written Apr 2, 2007

The restaurant almost doesn't seem like a restaurant at all, more like you've stepped into someone's home, albeit a very crowded home. The staff were very welcoming, even as most of them stepped outside to catch the last of the Ireland World Cup game on a TV across the street.

Favorite Dish: The boxty, hands down. I'd never had one, given that it's a traditional Irish dish, but it was delicious. The desserts were wonderful as well.

Instant Answers: Dublin

Comments

Hotels Near Gallagher's Boxty House
4.0 out of 5 stars