Places to eat in Dublin

Most Viewed Restaurants in Dublin

• iaint's Profile Photo

Benito's: good pizza

by iaint Written Jun 1, 2014

If you happen to be in Dalkey (a tip on that should follow) and feel like pizza, try Benito's.

I was there late afternoon on a summer Saturday, and choose it from many places on offer in the "village" centre.

Good service, friendly place, and good service.

My pizza (Mediteranea - pepper, feta, olives & courgette) was €14.50. A big pizza, but pricey. To be expected in Dalkey, I reckon. A small glass of house red was €5.50. Yes, pricey again.

The good news - tap water was offered and is free. Service charge is optional. I did leave 10%.

Favorite Dish: Lovely pizza.

• Beaches
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Water Sports

• DAO's Profile Photo

NOSH: GOURMET FISH AND CHIPS

by DAO Written May 21, 2014

Nosh keeps things simple. Small menu, pleasant surroundings, effortless service and well created food. I had fish & chips. In fact the best chips ever, with gourmet mushy peas. Only Nosh could make that possible. I only wish they had a bigger menu. What they do have is fantastic. My Caesar Salad was delicious, my beer cold and Italian and my bread homemade served with humus. In fact, it all seemed to be. Nosh is a very nice dinning experience. I booked on the OpenTable website and had a candlelit window table waiting. That’s top class. They keep it simple and delicious here.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

The Bank

by Gili_S Written Nov 6, 2013

The Bank is not the usual place on this side of the Atlantic, I got into it by accident while hanging around the city, it was looking interesting and I was curious. It is surely not another typical Irish Pub, it is more like American actually, but here I could enjoy a good cup of Irish Coffee with good live music in the background with a talented pianist that play popular songs on his own original arrangements.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Sheehan’s: Sheehan’s

by Gili_S Written Nov 6, 2013

Sheehan’s was yet another of the local pubs we visited, this is a great place for someone who want to experience local drink and food. It is located in the centre on Chatham Street. Here I could have an excellent Beamish Stout for a change as well as a nice snack of Fish & Chips.

Favorite Dish: Beamish Stout

• Beer Tasting

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Dunderry Lodge Restaurant: Off the Beaten Path but worth a journey

by Beausoleil Updated Oct 24, 2013

Nearing the end of a month in Ireland, we decided to spend a couple nights near Trim to visit New Grange and Knowth. We found Cranmor House B&B which was lovely. Anne, our hostess, recommended Dunderry Lodge Restaurant in the tiny nearby village of Dunderry so we drove over.

It’s wonderful. You are seated in the lounge by the fireplace and they take your order. You relax in the lounge, with drinks if you like, and when your meal is ready, they come and get you, seat you and serve you immediately.

Favorite Dish: Ed had pork meatballs for a starter and I had a rich seafood chowder. We both got roast breast of duck and it was superb. They serve the vegetables family style which is nice. I took more than my fair share of autumn squash mashed and wonderfully seasoned! We were much too full for dessert but I’m sure those would be equally good. The price was very reasonable for the quality.

We wanted to return the next night for another dinner but they are closed on Monday so we had to find another restaurant. This was definitely worth a second trip and certainly worth the rather long jaunt out from Dublin. Certainly if you were staying anywhere near Trim, it would be great.

Fax: +353 046 943-7622

Dunderry Lodge Restaurant From the parking lot

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

Bar Italia: Little Venezia in Dublin

by dutchboycalledjan Written Sep 3, 2013

Right on the Lower Ormond quay, near Ha'penny bridge is this nice Italian cafe like restaurant with several interesting looking dishes. We had the risotto pescatore and a lasagne. With a glass or fine white, Sicilian wine. We were early and when we left, it was crowded.

• Business Travel
    • Museum Visits

• dutchboycalledjan's Profile Photo

The Bank on College Green: Safe, victorian, good

by dutchboycalledjan Written Sep 3, 2013

Transformed baking building from the late 1890's. In a large spacious room, with mirrors on both sides, they have created a dream of a pub slash restaurant. We had their 2 persons dish with sea food, crab, mussels, oyster, salmon and more, with bread and a large beer. Very good.
    Please pay attention to the pianist: he mingles the different tunes of modern songs without creating a pot-pourri.

• Business Travel
    • Beer Tasting

The Greenhouse: Dublin Localvore haven

by yooperprof Written Jul 23, 2013

My most elaborate meal in Ireland was at a “localvore” haunt called the Greenhouse, on Dawson Street in the center of town, not far from the front gates of Trinity College. This was my main restaurant "splurge" of my Irish holiday - though it was a lunch splurge as I prefer when I am having a "top chef" meal to have it at midday. As well as being more affordable, it also allows more time for good digestion.

The restaurant is the joint-effort of an up-and-coming Irish restauranteur, Eamonn O’Reilly, and a young Finnish “star” named Mickael Viljanen; they’ve just been opened for one year, and you can tell that they are aiming for a Michelin star or two. The patrons of the Greenhouse at a Wednesday lunch seemed to be higher ranking policy wonks who were able to take a 2.5 hour lunch (with wine), as well as prosperous parents of Trinity undergrads, dressed in tweeds and in town for the day, taking their son or daughter out for a posh meal while they talked about what Cioran or Oona plan to do when they leave college. They have a good deal for lunch, 30 euros for three courses, which I partook of. Both my first course – swordfish “lasagna” – and my second – cod with mussels in an artichoke cream sauce – came with foam! I’m not really a big fan of foam with my food – it’s so 2007 – but it complemented the dishes nicely. The cod in particular was outstanding – just perfectly prepared, falling apart, tasty. In fact, the only other place I’ve had cod to compare was at an upscale restaurant in Reykjavik. For dessert I had a baked pear with chocolate sauce, served with orange sorbet – good, but not as original as the first two courses. Quite a nice place – excellent service – and really bold of them to open such a restaurant while Ireland is still reeling from its economic troubles.

Carluccio's: Tasty Italian on Dawson

by yooperprof Updated Jul 22, 2013

I was able to take advantage of a "Dine in Dublin" week promotion - three courses for 22 Euros. I thought it was quite a good deal. For my main, I had the pasta alla vodka which was properly robust and hearty. (Carluccio's is also a bright airy café with take-out options.)

I had the panna cotta for dessert - really excellent!

Trinity College Dining Hall: Eat like a student

by yooperprof Updated Jul 22, 2013

Lamb Rogan Josh was my Lunch entree at Trinity College's historic dining hall. Not bad for cafeteria food! (And a real travel bargain.)

The original structure dates back to the 18th century. However, the interior was heavily damaged in a fire in the 1980s, so most of the current building is a rebuild. Still, it's a beautiful place for an inexpensive lunch.

• Study Abroad

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

The Arlington Hotel

by MalenaN Written Apr 4, 2013

The Arlington Hotel is situated very close to Abbey Court where I stayed so it was very convenient to eat here. It is a large place, it was Saturday evening and it was very busy, but most people seemed to have come for the Celtic Night, a show with traditional music and dance and a 3 course meal to eat.

If you haven’t paid for a ticket to the Celtic Night you can still eat in the bar to the left, which I did. I found a table by the window, where I could see people walking by. From the bar menu I ordered a Monster rib Steak Burger for 12 Euros (March 2013) and it was a good meal. After eating I bought a hot whiskey for my cough. It was 5.10 Euros, and I must say the cough was much better after drinking that whiskey.

It was a convenient place to sit in and after a while could hear the live traditional music played, even though I couldn’t see the stage from where I sat.

River Liffey

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Boathouse Restaurant at Farmleigh House

by MalenaN Written Apr 3, 2013

VT-member annemariebyrne took me to Phoenix Park and Farmleigh House, places I had never visited in Dublin. After we had seen the exhibition The Ros Tapestries in the Gallery and walked around in the Walled Garden we went to the Boathouse Restaurant for some refreshment. I had the soup of the day, which was minestrone soup. It tasted quite good and was served with a piece of bread. Anne Marie had a big muffin with walnuts. It looked delicious and Anne Marie confirmed that it tasted very good.

Outside there is a deck overlooking the small lake and the ducks in it. When we visited it was too cold to sit here but it looks to be a nice place for a warmer day.

• solopes's Profile Photo

Knightsbridge (Arlington Hotel): Dinning with live music

by solopes Updated Sep 5, 2012

When you want to have dinner with local live music, and, to do it, have to go to another hotel, where do you post the tip? My main purpose was dinning, so I'll put it here.

I must say that, for a reasonable price, we passed a so amused night, with good music and folk dancing, that I don't remember the food. And that is good.

The beer ("mandatory" in Dublin, even for me, that usually don't appreciate it), tasted good.

Dublin - Ireland Dublin - Ireland

• solopes's Profile Photo

Nancy Hands: My best meal in Ireland

by solopes Updated Sep 5, 2012

In my previous readings, Nancy Hands is always referred as Pub, and it is, but it also serves excellent meals. The decoration has good taste and is welcoming, the service is nice, the ambiance is soft and familiar, and the food is perfect.

After all, the prices are correct. I have no reasons to complaint about Irish food, but this was my best experience there.

A perfect dinner, by the river.

Dublin - Ireland

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Fire: Excellent pre-theatre dinner

by SabrinaSummerville Updated Jun 26, 2012

My beloved niece was singing for the first time in Ireland's National Concert Hall so we wanted to go someplace special for a pre-theatre meal. My sister suggested Fire and I had been longing to go there for ages. I had heard so many excellent recommendations.

The location is ideal, on the south sideof the City Centre just parallell to Dublin's famous shopping street, Grafton Street. It's also just a stone's throw from the Concert Hall and many other Dublin attractions.

It's part of the Mansion House, another Dublin attraction and a beautiful old building in itself. Red canopies and outdoor furniture (complete with outdoor heaters to combat the Irish weather) give an immediately warm and welcoming feeling. Inside the ceilings are high and the decor complements the historical building. The stained glass windows reminded me of a Church while my companions thought it was like an old railway station. The decor now is very modern and striking without being intrusive.

The kitchen, with an open wood fired oven, is open to the restaurant but this lends itself to the atmosphere. The room is very large so cooking aromas do not overpower.

There were two menus to chose from - an a la carte and a pre theatre. As we were under some time pressure we chose from the pre theatre but when the food arrived it was clear that although the prices on this menu were less, the quality and quantity of the food was in no way diminished.

Favorite Dish: I started with the antipasti of cured meats and cheeses. I thought it would be a light dish that I could pick from. When it arrived, served on a large wooden board, I realised just how wrong I was. It looked like a sharing platter for two people at least. There were three varietites of cheese, three of cured meat, and three bowls with basil pesto, black olive tapenade, and olives respectively. On top of all of this a number of freshly bakes breadsticks rested. The greatest delight for me was the mozzarella - never in my entire life have I tasted such a subtle, perfect mozzarella.

My main course was one of the specialities of the house - the utterly divine woodfired jumbo tiger prawns. These were served Spanish style in a sizzler dish of garlic and oil and came stuffed with chorizo and lobster tail. The serving was enormous and was accompanied by fresh brown bread. I was already full from the starter and so ended up giving away more than half my serving to my dining companions.

I wanted to indulge in some sort of dessert so asked for fresh fruit. A very large bowl of sugar dusted strawberries and raspberries was more than enough for three to share.....and once again that's what happened.

I will definitely be back and would advise you to book early as the food and service are so good that it must always be hard to get a table.

Antipasti to live for Oh those prawns..... The stone grill oven High ceilinged interior Soft drapes and dramatic pillars
    • Wine Tasting

Westbury Hotel
Ashling Hotel Dublin
Buswells Hotel

Instant Answers: Dublin

Comments

Dublin Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Dublin locals.
Map of Dublin