Oliver St John Gogarty's, Dublin

4.5 out of 5 stars 5 Reviews

Temple Bar

See what I mean by over the top?!
    Oliver St. John Gogarty's in Temple Bar
    My delicious homemade lasagna
  • Jefie's Profile Photo

Oliver St. John Gogarty's: Great food in Temple Bar!

by Jefie Updated May 17, 2009

See what I mean by over the top?!

When I was looking through a Dublin guide to find a good restaurant in the Temple Bar area, I was a bit suprised to see that Oliver St. John Gogarty's was described as a good spot - from the outside it looks a bit over the top, and again I was afraid of walking into a tourist trap. In the end we decided to give it a try anyhow and as it turns out, it truly was delicious! Sylvain went with the traditional Dublin coddle, for which I HAVE to find a recipe because we both loved it, while I decided to give the homemade lasagna a try and it also was excellent - it came with chips and salad, and the lasagna was filled with big chunks of fresh vegetables. Both meals went for around 10 Euros each, and we had the pleasure of eating while listening to live Irish music. I'm really glad we decided to give it a try!

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

Oliver St John Gogarty's: Pub in Temple Bar

by MalenaN Written Mar 9, 2007

Fish and Chips

I thought at least I had to try one of the pubs with live traditional music in Temple Bar. It was not so great! The traditional music was played in a room upstairs, but was heard very loud through speakers in the pub. There was no stairs in the pub but the entrance is separate at the outside if you want to go up for the music.
    I ordered a pint and fish and chips. There was a lot of food and it was okay, but overpriced. Food and one beer was 20.30 Euro.
    Very full after all the food and tired after a long day of walking I drank the last of the beer slowly (there was no room for one more) and I could see they wanted me to leave and give place to someone else. They even tried to take my glass before it was finished and told someone to sit down next to me to wait. It was a very stressful and unpleasant feeling as I actually had not been there very long, and they had made me pay already before I got my food.
    All the customers are tourists and the people working in the pub are also foreigners, so if you want something more Irish go somewhere else.

• Ines28's Profile Photo

Oliver St John Gogarty's: Original Irish Stew

by Ines28 Written Oct 17, 2004
    Irish Stew!

This is a very popular place and always crowded. A very nice interpretation of a 19th century pub with well chosen artifacts from the earlier period. If you want to have your lunch a bit more quietly, then head to the first floor, there are normally some free tables left.

Favorite Dish: I had to try of course the Irish Stew, which was really good. Sven had stuffed turkey and ham with vegetables which was also good. Together with the Stew you can also get potatoes or chips and salad or vegetables, so if you are not too hungry, it might be a good thing to share one meal with another person, the servings are huge!

• tzuki's Profile Photo

Oliver St John Gogarty's: Good gigs along yami food!

by tzuki Written Jul 12, 2004

Oliver St John Gogarty's offers a very cosy atmosphere in the heart of Temple Bar district, Dublin 2.

Besides, is not only an Irish Pub, but also a restaurant and they offer accomodation too.

I was there for a pint of Guinness but later on, they were playing some fantastic Irish local music and my friend an me decided to stay and have some food too. Was great!

People in Dublin are great and they smile at you. Besides, they don't get upset if you take some shoots. I took loads of course, but they are in the way to be developed, so be patience! cheers....

Favorite Dish: We have some Irish local dish as the Traditional Dublin Stew, which it is very similar to a Spanish dish called ' Carne guisada'.
    It is some pieces of ragu (meat) cooked in a casseroula along with some vegetables as potatoes, carrots, herbs, peppers..... all cooked very slowly, so the meat became very soft and very juicy.... yami yamiiii

We took as well some dumplins as additional dish to this main course and of course a pint of Guinness.

Was fantastic, groovy!

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo

THE OLIVER ST. JOHN GOGARTY...

by eden_teuling Written Aug 24, 2002

THE OLIVER ST. JOHN GOGARTY RESTAURANT.....
    so atmospheric, so Irish.......

Favorite Dish: Sea Food Anna Livia.......yumyum

Instant Answers: Dublin

Comments

Hotels Near Oliver St John Gogarty's
3.5 out of 5 stars