Temple Bar, Dublin

THE OLD STOREHOUSE
    by DAO

ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT: YOU CAN DO BETTER

by DAO Written May 18, 2014

The Arlington Hotel (O Connell Bridge) has a large restaurant and bar in Temple Bar. They advertise great Irish Food, etc. I joined another VT member for lunch here and was a bit disappointed. My beer, an O’Hara’s Stout, was the star of the show. Actually several were. Followed up with some Jameson Whiskey’s. OK, no it was not a liquid lunch. We ordered lasagne and Shepherd’s Pie. They were somewhere between ok and a bit below average. In an area with some amazing restaurants and not-so amazing, this is in the 2nd category. Drink here, watch sports here, eat elsewhere.

They do offer ‘Our World Famous Celtic Nights Traditional Live Irish Music & Dancing Show - 7 nights’. You get a 3 course choice evening meal FROM €33.95 per person. Or you could just go and see it for free with less costly food at the Old Storehouse. Please see my restaurant review for the Old Storehouse!

Favorite Dish:
    • Several bottles of O’Hara’s Irish Stout
    • Jameson Irish Whiskey on ice

ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT ARLINGTON HOTEL RESTAURANT
    • Singles
    • Women's Travel

THE HOT STOVE: BORING

by DAO Written May 18, 2014

I happened upon this upscale, ‘Modern Irish’ Cuisine restaurant by accident. It is in the basement of Dublin’s Original Georgian Square, Parnell Square West. It is just around the corner from The Garden of Remembrance. Inside is more modern and bland that you would imagine give the name. There is an old hot stove happily burning wood in one of the 2 dining rooms. I was sat in the blander of the 2. Service was polite and professional, but the place lacked any atmosphere at all. The menu was so limited and unappealing; I didn’t even have a starter. For these prices you should see things more appealing than Pigeon and Foie Gras. I couldn’t even really see much in the way of ‘Irish’ dishes and had the 10 oz Irish Ribeye (25 euro). I have to say it was gorgeous and so was the bottle of wine. It was the wrong bottle of wine and there was a lengthy discussion when the bill came. Lengthy.

All in all, I would rather look for something a lot more ‘Irish’ than this. This just did not capture my imagination. And drinks are exceptionally expensive.

Sunday and Monday – Closed

• Luxury Travel
    • Wine Tasting

THE OLD STOREHOUSE: THE PLACE FOR MUSIC

by DAO Written May 18, 2014

I have to give the Old Storehouse top marks – for the free live music. I absolutely enjoyed the amazingly talented bands I listed to as I ate. Absolutely not a place to miss. OK, the bad part is that the food and beer is average at best. I had a beef stew made with Guinness. It was slightly burned. Ask for an Irish beer or stout and you get blank looks. Heineken anyone? I truly cannot get my head around this. The Old Storehouse is just that. A very old stone warehouse that is a delightful cavernous atmosphere and it’s certainly lively. They offer fantastic live music 7 days a week and it’s all free. My suggestion? Have a burger or just a snack and a European beer while you enjoy some traditional (and modern) Irish music. Skip the stew….

THE OLD STOREHOUSE THE OLD STOREHOUSE THE OLD STOREHOUSE THE OLD STOREHOUSE THE OLD STOREHOUSE
    • Music
    • Singles

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Temple Bar: Tourist fun!

by Beausoleil Updated Oct 21, 2013

Temple Bar is a bar in Temple Bar (a section of Dublin). It is very old and very touristy and very fun. We had just arrived in Dublin that morning, walked and bused all over Dublin and were jet lagged from our flight. We were walking through the Temple Bar area looking for a place to eat and this looked pretty good so we went in. We shared the Pub with half of Sweden since they were playing Ireland in a football match of some sort. It was pretty rowdy and loads of fun.

They had traditional Irish music although it was so loud we couldn’t talk and we were in another room. They could have done without the speakers and it would have seemed more traditional too.

All in all, the food was good and the service excellent. We had a great time.

Favorite Dish: Peg got a burger and pint; Ed got Irish stew and I got braised lamb. Two of us had Smithwicks and one had Guiness and we all enjoyed them. The food was excellent.

Temple Bar

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Temple Bar: Tourist Headquarters

by painterdave Written Apr 28, 2011

They got the name first! And living off the name.....Crowded, slow service... no, very slow service. We ordered...waited 30 minutes, other tables that arrived after us got service, food, beer, and yet.. we sit. Since you have to pay up front, we waited.....and waited... I asked twice, where's the food? I was told that since we ordered oysters, this was making the service slower. What a joke.
    If you want to visit a pub, don't choose this one. I wasn't the only one dissatisfied, we saw other patrons give up and leave.
    Did I mention crowded???? Doesn't rate a foto.
    We left feeling ripped off. Is this how you want to feel about Dublin? Skip it.

Favorite Dish: Surprisingly, the oysters were fresh.

• littlesam1's Profile Photo

The Temple Bar: Be a tourist and enjoy The Temple Bar

by littlesam1 Written Mar 26, 2009

The Temple Bar is historic. Its old. Its touristy. Its in The Temple Bar District. I had a tee shirt shop attached to it. Some people would run in the other direction from a place like this. But not me. I was in Dublin to have fun. So we did a pub crawl in The Temple Bar District. And we went to the actual Temple Bar. And yes, I did buy a tee shirt.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Temple Bar: Ate here too

by cjg1 Updated Feb 1, 2008

This is yet another place I’ve been to twice. The first time we used it for dinner on our second to last night. Being this was 4 years ago now I do not remember much about it.

My latest visit we just hung out by the bar and had a beer or two. The place was packed with Newcastle fans watching the match and that is always good fun. We stayed for about an hour as a shower blew through.

I do recommend this place as the atmosphere was good during the match.

• Alex_71's Profile Photo

Temple Bar: Guinness!

by Alex_71 Written Oct 16, 2006

This is one of the most famous pub in the Temple bar area.It's very informal and friendly,and obiusvly you can taste the guinness(like in every pub of ireland!).There are lots of students but also dubliners.Interesting is an area in the center of the pub that is for smokers.The problem of this pub that is ever full pf people so it's not easy to seat,but if you want just to drink a beer and meet lots of people,that's your place

Favorite Dish: Obiusvly the Guinness:-) I haven't try oysters with guinness 'couse they made it just for lunch(and i'm not able to eat not cooked fish in the morning),but it's a local dish very used in this pub.

• jeoren's Profile Photo

Temple Bar: Pancakes

by jeoren Written Jul 25, 2005

In the westpart of Temple Bar, located along the main street throught Temple Bar, there is a Italian-like restaurant where you can eat some simple but unique meals with names as 'Monkey Business' (a pancake with Nutella on it)..

Good stuff for a low price.

• Elephant & Castle: Goot enough to eat!

by hennesgm2101 Written Aug 29, 2003

This place is in prime position in Temple Bar so after a hearty feast you only have to tumple out the door to be in the middle of the nightlife and party on til the wee hours of the morning! But thats not the half of it-Elephant & castle has the most mouthwatering food in the city in my opinion-for a reasonable price and all! Good atmosphere-but you will undoubedly be turned away for a half hour because its full so go early!

• School Holidays

• elcolibri's Profile Photo

Temple Bar: Miso Wine & Noodle Bar

by elcolibri Written May 25, 2005

Miso is a noodle bar in Temple Bar. The menu is fresh and interesting with a wide variety of choices. The food are good as both as the menu and service. Prize is about average in Temple Bar.

Miso Wine & Noodle Bar

Instant Answers: Dublin

Comments

Hotels Near Temple Bar
4.0 out of 5 stars