The Alamo Cafe, Dublin

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

The Alamo: Mexican

by IrishFem Updated Jun 12, 2006

The Alamo

If you like cheap and cheeful food in a small but cosy restaurant, this is the place to go. Right in the middle of Temple Bar the food is tasty and the staff friendly. Lots to choose from on the menu including Tortilla chips and salsa. Bufflo Wings, Nachos, prices start from around 4 Euro to 7 Euro. Mains include Burritos, Echiladas, Fajita platters, prices from around 10 Euro to 17.00 Euro.

Favorite Dish: I found this restaurant to be great if you like mexican food. Fahitas were my favourite.

• gomexico's Profile Photo

Trocadero Restaurant: One of a Kind

by gomexico Written Jan 25, 2005

This a restaurant popular with the art, theatre and broadasting crowd in Dublin - a favorite of theatre actors whose many photos line the walls.

The restaurant is housed in what was a private home, a large one at that. There are a half-dozen rooms. There's lots of red velvet, everywhere. I don't know the "style" of decor, but I'd describe it as I heard one young woman do - "It's rather Bordello, isn't it."

This is a place to see and be seen. There's a large pre-theatre crowd, and the place is usually packed. Reservations after 7 p.m. are a must. I arrived 6 p.m., a bit early, and availed myself of a fixed price pre-theatre dinner costing about €20.

With the meal I had a couple of glasses of house red wine, and a Sambuca after dinner. Oh, I had a wonderful dessert which I forget how to pronounce. Anyhow, the check came to about €40. A bit expensive for dinner, for me . . . but it was my "splurge" meal of the trip.

Favorite Dish: Poached Salmon was what I ordered and it was the best I've every had - anywhere. This was fresh caught (wild) salmon, and few other countries can match the taste of Irish salmon.

The fish was served with a huge bowl of soup as a starter, a triple portion of vegetables (single, they say?), those long, thin, breadsticks.

By the way, I've never had restaurant service as good as I had at Trocadero. Every waiter is your waiter - no passing the buck!

Instant Answers: Dublin