The Winding Stair, Dublin

40 Lower Ormond Quay, Dublin 1 +353 (0)1 872 7320

• iaint's Profile Photo

The Winding Stair: excellent

by iaint Written Apr 27, 2011

Recommended in my buddy’s Marco Polo guidebook (a German publication), the location looked promising, so we tried it.

Excellent. It’s upstairs from a bookshop - take the narrow staircase to the left. Close to O’Connell Street and over the river from touroid Temple Bar. Across the street from the Ha’penny Bridge, and with a view of the river. Get the idea?

Bright and spacious, with a pleasant buzz about it. It has an à la carte menu, plus lunch specials. We had the latter - €17.95 for 2 courses. The food was excellent and so was the service.

A happy choice!

Favorite Dish: My friend's boxty... first time I'd tried the local delicacy.

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

The Winding Stair Restaurant: Among the Best in Dublin

by Jase1177 Updated May 12, 2009

I had read that the Winding Stair Restaurant (above the bookstore) has been rated one of the best restaurants in Dublin, and it did not disappoint me. The atmosphere was pretty casual, but the clientele was obviously mixed with local business types and tourists in the know. The setting reminding me of bright, airy farm kitchen touched with a touch of urban class. It has small tables to accommodate various group sizes. The servers were all very pleasant and knowledgeable of the menu. The service was excellent.

Favorite Dish: The a la carte menu offers some wonderful choices, but the 2- or 3-course prix fixe were equally great and offered a good deal. There are chalkboards on the wall with a wine list, and the changing prix fixe menu. I chose a wonderful blended Spanish red wine (Granache, Syrah, & Temp) to accompany my 2-course of fried brie with tomato chutney (fantastic), and my spinach, tomato, pepper, & goat cheese pie, with chips. I topped off these wonderful choices with the bread & butter pudding w/ whiskey sauce from the regular dessert menu. It was amazing as well. I loved this meal, and was happy to spend a few more dollars for it all.

I spent 38EUR for my three courses and two glasses of wine.

I highly recommend going to this restaurant.

• The Winding stair Bookshop /coffee shop: Hot Choc with marshmallows...

by DaniBachmann Written Nov 15, 2003

The hot chocolate they make is awesome! And you get marshmallows with it :)))
    Also try the carrot cake or one of the various crepes they do!
    The view of the Liffey from the 3rd floor ist brilliant- the only prob: It's the smoker's level...

Favorite Dish: Hot chocolate and carrot cake!

• Study Abroad