Rugby, Dublin

my prized ticket
    by iaint
  • Rugby
    by Mariajoy

Know about this? Rate It!

• iaint's Profile Photo

by iaint Updated Jun 1, 2014

Dublin is a huge sports city. Rugby, hurling, Gaelic football, horse racing, greyhound racing... even some "normal" football (soccer).

I'd often thought of a visit to take in an Ireland v Scotland rugby international, but have never made it so far. On top of the need to get a ticket (not easy) travel & accommodation can be a hard to find (and expensive).

I have been to Ireland twice for horse racing (Limerick & Laytown) but not such hurdles to surmount for that.

When Glasgow Warriors got to the RaboPro12 rugby final in May 14, I thought about a trip immediately. I dropped the idea when I saw the likely cost and time involved (a 5 hour drive to get the ferry at Holyhead, for example).

Then 3 days before the game I saw on Twitter that the club had organised a day trip charter, and a handful of seats were still left. A ticket for the game was guaranteed.

After a bit of internal debate, I went for it!

A 19,000 capacity crowd at the RDS. 3,000 Glasgow fans. A wonderful atmosphere (slightly Guinness fuelled). A great sunny evening.

Glasgow fell apart in the 2nd half, sadly, and were well beaten.

Leinster (the province which Dublin is in) get big crowds for all home matches. Irish derbies with Ulster & Munster will be sellouts.

€54 for my centre stand seat. Probably more affordable for league matches.

Equipment: Beer tokens.

Warm clothes in winter. And autumn & spring.

fans arriving my prized ticket
    • Beer Tasting

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Lansdowne Road

by ATXtraveler Updated Apr 4, 2011

During our tour of the British Isles and Ireland, we had the opportunity to attend a match at Lansdowne Road, known to the common world as the home of Irish Rugby. A beautiful stadium rich in history, this was definitely my favorite part of our rugby tour.

I would highly recommend that if you are around Lansdowne around the time of a match, please stop in and check it out!

Lansdowne Road, Ireland
    • Study Abroad
    • Adventure Travel

• Landsdowne Road Stadium

by Mariajoy Updated Apr 4, 2011

Our hotel was just a short walk from this famous football stadium and I was reliably informed that Ireland played Portugal here last week. The score was 1-0 to Ireland. Hooray! It's always nice when the home team win. Both rugby and football are played here.

• agarcia's Profile Photo

One of the Six Nations

by agarcia Updated Apr 4, 2011

We, Spaniards are known around the world for our lack of skills in Rugby, so I didn’t pay much attention to this sport during my stay, although Rugby is probably the #1 sport in Ireland. Matches are followed with strong passion, especially when the National Selection plays for the biggest Rugby championship, the Six Nations tournament. (The other five nations are, fyi, England, Wales, Scotland, France and Italy).

Ireland plays as local its matches in the Lansdowne Stadium.

Queuing in front of Lansdowne Rd Stadium

• Lochlainn's Profile Photo

Five Nations plus Iddley

by Lochlainn Updated Sep 12, 2002

In Dublin parlance - Oyirland, Ingerland, Sco'land, Wadles and Deh French have been joined by anudder rugby kuntry for dee anniyal Foiv Nayshuns Toorneyment wheyer everrywun playz everrywun else wunce an' we all take turrens for deh howem matches.

Roughly translated that means that you should coincide your Spring visit to Dublin, if you really want to see the town hop that is, for the years when we play host to the Scots and the Welsh (the English and French aren't as much craic and the Italians aren't even aware they're in the competition yet!).

Ireland V Barbarians - Lomu the unstoppable!

Instant Answers: Dublin