Jameson Distillery, Dublin

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Sine Metu, or the story of Jameson Irish Whisky

by Jefie Updated May 21, 2009

Old Jameson Distillery on Bow Street, Dublin

I really didn't know much about whisky before walking into the Old Jameson Distillery - I came out knowing how whisky is made and that what makes Irish whisky so much smoother than Scotch whisky and Jack Daniels is its unique triple distillation :o) Whisky was produced at the Bow Street Distillery from the company's creation by John Jameson in 1780 until the distillery moved to Cork in 1971. The building in Dublin was then restored and opened to visitors. Our tour began with a short video, and we then followed our tour guide around the building as he explained the main steps involved in the creation of the perfect bottle of Irish whisky. It could have been a rather dry tour (no pun intended!), but our guide was so funny that it turned out to be quite entertaining!

At the end of our visit, we all took a seat in the tasting room, and a few volunteers were asked to sample and compare three brands of whisky. Of course, they were a bit hard-pressed not to choose Jameson as their favourite whisky, but they all genuinely seemed to like it better than the other two. Not to be completely left out, we were all offered to choose between a glass of whisky on the rocks or mixed with ginger ale or cranberry juice. And that's when I learned another very important lesson: Irish whisky and Canada Dry go incredibly well together!

Because visits are by guided tours only, there might be a bit of a wait if you haven't booked in advance, but you can wait while having a drink at the really cool bar. There's also a restaurant - I didn't eat there but the menu looked good and reasonably priced. Tickets: 13.50 Euros.

• Mahieu's Profile Photo

The Old Jameson Distillery

by Mahieu Written Apr 30, 2004

inside the distillery

Besides the Guinness brewery, the Old Jameson Whiskey Distillery is also one of the top attractions of Dublin.
    The price for the guided tour is 7,95 euro/person, so a lot cheaper than the Guinness Brewery, which costs 13,50 euro!
    You cannot visit the distillery by yourself, only with a guided tour. The tour is well done, the process is explained in a clear, brief way and at the end you get of course a glass of whiskey for free. They also take 4 volunteers to try out different brands, but at 11 o'clock, this was too much to ask of me ;-)

• Bilimari's Profile Photo

Old Jameson Distillery

by Bilimari Updated Sep 25, 2005

Jameson's Chimney

They no longer brew whiskey here anymore, and the place exists only as a museum. The tour was very interesting goes through the entire process of production, from grain delivery to bottling. At the end of the tour, there was a whiskey tasting. (They ask for a several volunteers for tasting. Raise your hand!)

In the courtyard, you'll see a former distillery chimney (see photo), which is a 220ft. high observation platform where you can enjoy a wonderful view of the city.

• EllenH's Profile Photo

Whiskey Tour

by EllenH Written Apr 1, 2006

We decided to skip the more expensive tour of the Guinness warehouse and the Jameson tour was recommended by our new local VT friends. So Charles, Nathalie, my husband Joe, and myself took a nice walk along the Liffey river to the old distillery. Our new friends also prepared us for the fact that at the beginning of the tour they would ask for volunteers and that Nathalie and I should immediately raise our hands. Well, we were ready and when she asked for 2 men and 2 women volunteers, we were there with no hesitation. I got picked but she obviously didn't want to pick both of us because we were together. But she looked around the room and no one else was as fearless as we were so then she picked Nathalie too. So ciambella and ellenh are now certified, qualified Irish whiskey tasters. We have certificates to prove it too.
    In anycase it was fun and informative and it was inexpensive.

• doug48's Profile Photo

old jameson's distillery

by doug48 Written Jul 7, 2007

old jameson's

this is the site of john jameson's distillery which produced irish whiskey from 1780 to 1970. today it is an interesting museum explaining the production of whiskey and the difference between irish whisky and scotch whiskey. at the end of the 45 minute tour you can sample some of their products.

• Architecture

• acemj's Profile Photo

The Old Jameson Distillery

by acemj Updated Jun 7, 2003

I'm saving this for my next trip to Dublin, but I did walk by on my way to the Guinness Storehouse. I learned that it takes about 45 minutes to tour the facility, which was once one of the finest distilleries in the world, but is now a visitor's attraction. At the end of the tour, there is a whisky tasting.

• lbhspatriot's Profile Photo

Where it all begun!

by lbhspatriot Updated Jan 15, 2009

A unique tour of its kind, The Old Jameson Distillery tour covers the true spirit of Ireland. Originally built in 1780, this Distillery is now a museum only with fun interactive tours and interesting guides with a great sense of humor!
    A visit to the OLD JAMESON DISTILLERY is an unforgettable experience that will transport you back in time to re-live the story of John Jameson & Son. First you see a movie about John Jameson and then you move on to the exhibition where You will discover the time honoured secret of how three simple ingredients - water , barley and yeast - are transformed into Jameson Irish Whiskey.
    After the Tour , all visitors are rewarded with a Jameson signature drink and lucky volunteers are selected to participate in a whiskey comparison and earn a personalised Whiskey Taster Certificate(which I did!).

Tour Rates:
    Adult - €11.00
    Student - €9.00
    Senior Citizen - €9.00
    Under 18s - €6.00
    Group 15+ - €9.00
    Internet rate 10% discount.

• Airpunk's Profile Photo

Jameson Distillery

by Airpunk Updated May 8, 2011

Entry to Jameson Distillery

I would only recommend this place, if you are deeply interested in whiskey, have a sympathy for this brand or have a good reason any other than see what’s going on there. Although similarly priced, it is not nearly as good as the Guinness storehouse. It is not bad, but I would have expected more for the price.
    First, the building was once the place where Jameson Whiskey was made, but is now a museum only. Production ceased here in 1971. The tour through the building is only guided. When you buy your ticket, you are assigned to a tour with a letter ranging from “A” to “D”, check out the screen when the tour with the letter is going to start from the lobby. While you wait, there is the possibility to stroll trough a small exhibition, trough the shop or enjoy a drink. It begins with a video presentation and the picking of volunteers. Raise your hand, if you like whiskey  The tour lasts around an hour and here you will be informed about how whiskey is made, the difference between Scotch and Irish whiskey and some of the history of the Jameson distillery. I missed some more background about company culture.
    At the end, you will have the chance to taste some chance to taste some Jameson whiskey and the volunteers will participate in some very special whiskey tasting. That’s the reason you you raise your hand up early.
    Our guide was good, but there wasn’t this special atmosphere between guide and audience I have experienced in Ireland and the UK many times before. As I said, it is not bad. I enjoyed it, but I think that it is far overpriced.

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

• hevbell's Profile Photo

JAMESON DISTILLERY

by hevbell Updated Jan 21, 2007

A tour of the distillery is about €8 but we got in free with our Dublin pass. They don't actually make the whiskey on this site as production moved out of Dublin many years ago. However this allows them to take you right through the process without getting in the way. We had a very amusing guide who clearly explained the process and how Irish whiskey differs from American whiskey or Scotch. After the tour we were led to the bar area where everyone got a drink of Jamesons and their choice of mixer - water, ginger ale or cola. Jamesons and ginger ale is lovely and is actually known as a "Jimmy & Ginger". Three people were also chosen to take part in a comparison taste test between Jamesons, a Scottish whisky and Jack Daniels.

I'd say this tour is definitely worth doing and the building itself has been done up very nicely. They have a small bar/cafe area in reception plus the obligatory gift shop.

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Drink Drank Drunk

by grandmaR Updated Aug 2, 2007

Outside the door

The distillery was included on our city tour, and we went early.

When we got to the distillery, they were mopping the ladies room floor and wouldn't let us in, so we had to use the handicapped bathroom. The actual distillery is out in the country now, so the old distillary building is just for tours. They took us through the whole process and then gave us a free whiskey drink. My grandson and Ryan got coke and I got cranberry juice with no whiskey in it.

They picked two women and two men to be tasters at the end. One of the women was Annie (Ryan's mom) and one of the men was Bill who has a Pearson 34 in Maine and the other was Jim who was one of the kings at the banquet the first night. That was appropriate as his stated goal was to drink at as many pubs as possible.

They gave them three Irish whiskeys, one Scotch whiskey and one US whiskey (Johnny Walker). Annie picked another Irish whiskey with Gold in the name which is made by a subsidiary of Jameson. Everyone else picked the Jameson.

• Luxury Travel

• Phantasm's Profile Photo

Get free drinks!

by Phantasm Updated Feb 22, 2006

If you love Irish Whiskey go to the Jameson Distillery. It's not an active distillery, but they do age some whiskey there and it smells great in the room with the casks aging. You'll learn about the whole distillation process. Make sure you volunteer when they ask for them after the introductory film as you'll get to be a whiskey taster. The tour comes with a free glass of whiskey, but the tasters get to sample other brands for comparison purpose as well as get the regular glass. *hic*

• Museum Visits

• jo104's Profile Photo

Jamesons Tour

by jo104 Updated Apr 4, 2011

This is no longer the place where they make the Jamesons but if you have a love for whiskey it may be worth a visit for you. The tour takes you through the whole process and ends in a sample of Jamesons.

Irish whiskey is triple distilled as opposed to Scottish whiskey. I was considering taking the tour but at Eur13.50 I decided not to especially as the guide picks out people to sample and spot the difference between Scottish and Irish whiskey and what if that was not me.

Also for those people in the UK do not be fooled that purchasing your Jamesons in Ireland is cheaper then back home because its not. I walked here from O'Connell street and it is a bit off the beaten path

I did however sample a lot of different Irish whiskeys Jamesons, Paddys, Powers and Bushmills (N.Ireland) and still think Jamesons is smoother

• Wine Tasting

• kehale's Profile Photo

Volunteer When they Ask!

by kehale Written Apr 15, 2010

Entry to the Old Distillery

In the true spirit of being tourists, we headed off to the Old Jameson Distillery one afternoon. We had missed a tour by one group of people in line ahead of us, so while we waited, we enjoyed a drink from the beautiful bar in the main area of the Old Distillery.

The bus driver we had before we went in, had advised that at the start of the tour when they ask for volunteers, that you should put your hand up. Especially if you enjoy Whiskey, and getting drunk... so my boyfriend took his advice. The tour was informative, and interesting. Though I prefer the way the Guiness Storehouse is set up more, where you guide your own tour and read as you go. (We had an excellent tour guide though, so she made listening to someone talk more bearable!)

Afterwards in the bar, the free drink was great, and my boyfriends volunteer experience was memorable! I won't give away the secret... just make sure you volunteer!

• rcsparty's Profile Photo

Great Irish Coffee

by rcsparty Written May 9, 2009

This is an absolute must stop in Dublin. I enjoyed this stop much more then the Guinness Brewery and the crowds are much smaller. You learn the history of John Jameson and the way Jameson Whiskey is made. The distillery was originally built in 1780, but is now just a museum. You have to take a guided tour to see the museum. They also have a bar area inside, which make the best Irish Coffees I've had this side of Buena Vista in SF.

• Turska's Profile Photo

We liked it

by Turska Written Mar 24, 2008

We haven´t been so many places like this before,and we found it interesting.I´m not so much a whiskey-lover,but I took it with coke,and it was bettre than I thought.For whiskey-lovers this is of course a sin to do..We were surprised to see allmost everyone drink their whiskey with cranberry juice.We had never seen that before,and my husband has even been a waiter!
    Our guide was Italian,and maybe that´s why she spoke "not so Irish way"and was easy to understand.(In the Dublin castle we had little troble to understand all of the guides stories).

Special mention must be given to guy in ticket-office.When he saw us,he asked"Do you allready know good places,where they play your kind of music?"We told,that actually no.He took a map,and write and draw there places we should visit.It´s fun,when you can see from the look of someone,witch kind of music you like.We are like friends,even if we don´t know each other.Once we even got a table in restaurant witch was full,when waiter realized,we are like him.Sometimes I wonder is it so obiuos really?

Instant Answers: Dublin

Comments

Hotels Near Jameson Distillery
4.0 out of 5 stars