Pubs, Dublin

• Literary Pub Crawl

by Aliseeya Updated Dec 15, 2005

The literary pub crawl leaves out of the Duke pub every night at 7:30pm and lasts about 2 hrs. It is led by two actors, who act out passages and plays written by Ireland's finest! The actors were very talented and hilarious. They kept us entertained the entire time, and it was one of the best things we did in Dublin. Along the crawl we went to four pubs: O'Neils, Old Stand, The Duke, and one more that I can't remember! Even if you know nothing about Irish literature (which I didn't), you'll still have a fantastic time.

• Ha'penny Bridge Inn

by Mariajoy Updated Jun 14, 2005

This pub was lovely and warm and friendly. They were just as happy to serve bread and vegetable soup and a cuppa tea as to pour pints of Guinness. The soup was fabulous, just what I needed on a chilly February day.

Doesn't look much from the outside

• kirstylm's Profile Photo

Musical Pub Crawl in Temple Bar

by kirstylm Written Aug 12, 2006

Brilliant way to experience traditional Irish music, learn a bit about it, have a laugh, and enjoy a few pints all at the same time!!

2 Irish musicians take you to a few pubs (special reserved area in the pub), and then tell you all about Irish music, play you many different tunes and songs, teach you a bit about the instruments - all with a bit of comedy too!! My stomach hurt by the end of the evening!!

The whole thing lasts about 2 and 1/2 hours and costs about 12euro's - well worth it!!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Dublin Literary Pub Crawl

by Jefie Updated May 21, 2009

As soon as our two guides/actors started doing a hilarious bit of Samuel Beckett's "Waiting for Godot", I knew we were in for a major treat! The Dublin Literary Pub Crawl appropriately starts at The Duke, a beautiful 19th century pub located just off Grafton Street and an old favourite of local authors James Joyce, Brendan Behan and Patrick Kavanagh, among others. Our two guides were excellent: they did an amazing job of mixing history and literature, all the while entertaining us with some beautiful songs and funny anecdotes about Dublin writers - I think my favourite ones were about Brendan Behan's visit to Toronto (where he said the city would "look nice when it's finished"!) and Oscar Wilde's visit to a Colorado mining town ("I saw the only rational method of art criticism I have ever come across. Over the piano was printed a notice - 'Please do not shoot the pianist. He is doing his best.")

Although it may vary, our pub crawl took us to O'Neill's, The Old Stand and Davy Byrne's. For noise issues, however, most of the storytelling and song singing takes place outside, which means we only spent about 20 minutes in each of the first pubs - better to call a shot of whisky than a pint of Guinness! Throughout the evening, our guides had some trivia questions for us and when we got to the last pub, there was a little contest to see who could answer the most questions... and I won! They gave me a really nice souvenir t-shirt but to be honest, even without the t-shirt there's no way I could ever forget that wonderful evening in Dublin!

The Dublin Literary Pub Crawl starts at 7:30 pm and lasts for about 2.5 hours. Tickets: 12 Euros.

The Duke on Duke Street, Dublin On the Dublin Literary Pub Crawl

• Jefie's Profile Photo

by Jefie Updated May 21, 2009

We enjoyed going on the Literary Pub Crawl so much that we decided to give the traditional music one a try, and we were not disappointed! The Musical Pub Crawl starts at the Oliver St. John Gogarty Pub at the heart of the Temple Bar area. We had two amazing and really funny musicians with us that night: one sang, played the guitar and the bodhrán, while the other played the flute. We quickly realized they both were "purists" as far as traditional Irish music is concerned - they quickly warned us against buying a bodhrán or a CD at a souvenir store, saying that "an angel loses his wings everytime someone buys one of those" (OK, so maybe the Guinness had began to kick in at that point!). They stayed away from the most popular songs and introduced us to some lesser known, excellent jigs and reels ("Johnny Jump Up" was my favourite one), explaining how real Irish music sessions work (clapping your hands is a big no-no!) and also telling us about the history of music in Ireland. Given that my dad is a folk musician, it was really interesting for me to see all the similarities that exist between traditional music from Ireland and that from Quebec :o)

The pace of this pub crawl was very different from that of the literary one. We visited only three pubs (on top of the first one we went to the Ha'penny Bridge Inn and Brannigan's), and we had a private room reserved for our group in each one. We therefore had plenty of time to drink - and so did the musicians! The Musical Pub Crawl starts at 7:30 pm and lasts about 2.5 hours. Tickets: 12 Euros.

Musical Pub Crawl in Dublin At the Ha'penny Bridge Inn

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Literary Pub Tour

by Blatherwick Updated Nov 9, 2004

Is there anything better than a pubcrawl combined with a literary tour to help you enlighten and kill your brain cells at the same time?

Two actors take visitors around four or five historic Dublin pubs where they perform readings from Irish writers who have links with these bars. Anecdotes about Dublin writers from Joyce, Behan, Beckett, O'Casey and Wilde. Meanwhile you are getting smashed as you indulge in the Jamieson's, Guiness, Kilkenny, or other beverage of your choice.

The tour starts in the Duke pub where James Joyce's links are discussed. On our way to the next literary pub we stroll to Trinity College where under the Great Clock the actors perform a scene from Wilde's "The Importance of Being Earnest". The night goes on like this passing by sights such as the post office and learning a bit about Irish history.

A must for any visitor to Dublin.

Literary Pub Crawl
    • Theater Travel

• don1dublin's Profile Photo

Irish music in Dublin pubs

by don1dublin Written Apr 7, 2004

www.irishmusicbars.com

Very good site

The following are good for live music :0)

DUBLIN
    Johnnie Fox's
    The Noggin Inn
    O’Donoghue’s Bar
    Oliver St.John Gogarty
    O’Shea’s Hotel (Olde Moran’s)
    O’Shea’s Merchant
    Whelan's

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

Irish pubs and restaraunts

by Kodi01 Updated Jan 30, 2004

This is a traditional music and food restaraunt in Dublin. This pub is called The Oliver St. John Gogarty's bar and restaraunt.

Main courses vary from Irish stew, Gaelic steak, lamb, Crispy Ducking, etc.

Soups listed was named "The hair of the dog that bit you". (funny I found this one)?

Of course there is Irish whiskey and beer for your choosing.

The Oliver St John Gogarty

• planxty's Profile Photo

I would not have believed it possible.

by planxty Written Dec 27, 2012

Prior to my recent very quick trip throught Dublin in November 2012 (merely in transit to and from Connolly Station to the ferryport) if you had told me there was a pub in Dublin that does not serve Guinness, I would have said you had taken leave of your senses and suggested some sort of therapy. However such a place exists, right in the centre, and I managed to find it by accident. Here is the story.

For those of you not aware, Guinness is the national drink of Ireland. The principal Guinness brewery in the world is in St. James's Gate in Dublin and the dark beer (which actually originated in London!) is inextricably linked with the Irish. I can honestly say that in all the years I lived in Northern Ireland I never, and I mean never saw a pub in either Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland that did not have a Guinness tap in it. Honestly, I really cannot stress this enough.

I should also add that I am not a beer snob but I don't drink Guinness outside Ireland. I don't know why but it just doesn't seem to travel well. I had time for a couple of pints and so I walked into the Brew Dock pub which is just opposite the Bus Station and a short walk from Connolly station. I looked pretty modern from the outside and the interior was, as you can see, fairly minimalist but there was a huge selection of beer taps not to mention the extensive array of spirits behind the bar.

Imagine then my surprise when I asked the barman for a pint of stout (local parlance for Guinness) an he very politely informed me that they didn't have it. Well, after I had recovered my breath, got my heart rate and blood pressure back to acceptable levels, I enquired why this was the case. He informed me that all the beers here were from micro breweries, mostly Irish but with a few from overseas. The selection, as you can see in the image from the number of taps, is indeed impressive. Should you want a Guinness type brew, there are several stouts on offer. Deprived of my Guinness, I opted for a pint of Stowford Press, which is a pretty good English cider that I drink sometimes in England.

Although I did not eat, I had a look at the menu and was again reminded of what I had noticed myself and what Irish friends had told me, that Ireland generally and Dublin in particular is ruinously expensive. Stew and champ (basically mashed potato) as pub grub at €12 is a lot of money. I believe the whole city is hugely expensive now.

The Brew Dock seemed a friendly place and if you are not desperately seeking a pint of Guinness it is good stop off right opposite the bus station.

Brew Dock pub, Dublin, Republic of Ireland. Brew Dock pub, Dublin, Republic of Ireland. Brew Dock pub, Dublin, Republic of Ireland. Brew Dock pub, Dublin, Republic of Ireland.
    • Wine Tasting

• Blatherwick's Profile Photo

Music Pub Crawl

by Blatherwick Updated Nov 9, 2004

Same idea as the Literary Pub Crawl. A group of musician tour guides take you from bar to bar singing the songs of Ireland. The tour begins at 7:30 every night. This can be really fun when with a lively group of people who aren't afraid to sing.

• painterdave's Profile Photo

Not All The Same

by painterdave Written Apr 28, 2011

You can try to work your way through all the Pubs, but you would end up being carried off like those enebriated folks at Octoberfest lying on the grassy hill. However, wandering through many of them we found them all to be a bit different, have different kinds of food, and entertainment. Many of the pubs have an upstairs area, and we found several with a so called garden area for smokers.
    If you go into a pub looking for food, check right away to see if the waiters come to your table, or you have to go and order it at the bar and pay.
    My other best suggestion is that you take in a few pubs that are not in Temple Bar area. This way you can rub elbows with the locals, as I don't think many local citizens of Dublin frequent Temple Bar much, unless they are showing guests from out of town the sights.

WHAT A COLOR! First Pub To See On Airport Route Doesn't Have To Be Guiness
    • Singles

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

by Sunshine64 Updated Mar 8, 2003

Learn about traditional Irish music on a pub crawl led by a couple of quite entertaining musicians.

You travel from pub to pub with the musicians who tell stories, sing songs, and invite you to sing along.

Oliver St. John Gogarty Pub

• LBKesner's Profile Photo

Have a Baileys....

by LBKesner Updated Nov 14, 2006

If you aren't a Guinness fan, if you don't have a taste for Jameson or Tullamore Dew, you can still enjoy a taste of Ireland by sipping a Baileys on ice available in pubs found about every three fee in Dublin.

You know you're in Dublin when you see....

• flyfreak's Profile Photo

Drinks and food at Fagan's Pub

by flyfreak Written Jan 4, 2007

Fagan's Pub is a nice and huge Irish pub. It is in walking distance of the hotel where we stayed (20 mins walk from the Regency Airport Hotel) in Drumcondra. They serve huge portions of food and the first time we went there we had already eaten - which was a pitty because that stuff looked really nice! On the weekends you see everybody having nice food and lots of beer with it :-) We realised that they do not cook on Sunday evenings, so we had to leave without tasting the food :-(

• Dawsons Lounge

by Mariajoy Updated Feb 19, 2005

This is Irelands smallest pub... it is warm and cosy and had a nice atmosphere.
    Friends was showing on its 14" screen TV and while we were there small groups of people were having an after work drink.

It was closed when we first saw it!

Instant Answers: Dublin