Zoo, Dublin

4.5 out of 5 stars 18 Reviews

• originalribenababy's Profile Photo

Wild day out

by originalribenababy Written Oct 19, 2007

We really enjoyed this zoo, its one our favourites.

We have strong opinions on what a zoo should be: it should be about the animals, not the guests! Most of the animals seemed pretty happy, but we fely sorry for the Jaguar being on his own but maybe eventually he'll get a mate :)

The African plains gave lots of space to the animals which was great to see :)

The farm with its domestic animals inspired us to get our babies, so in February we had two new guinea pig additions to our home :)

We went around christams time last year, and hope to do the same this year, and spent most of the day there away from the crazy xmas shopping rush (best time to go in our opinion). There was very few people even at the weekend, we got to take our time and take some great pictures.

Ive attached a few pictures as the animals are what make the zoo, you can find opening times and prices etc. on the zoo website: http://www.dublinzoo.ie/

Jaguar at Dublin zoo Snow Loepard Dublin Zoo Wee monkey at Dublin Zoo African Plains at Dublin Zoo Penguin at Dublin Zoo
    • Eco-Tourism

• Tayto's Profile Photo

Tiger at Dublin Zoo

by Tayto Updated Aug 2, 2005

Tigers are just my favourite animals and one day I hope to shoot one in the wild and mount it on my wall....ok I had you going there for a minute I mean with my camera and hang the photo !!!!

Dublin Zoo has had great success breeding tigers and has just opened a new enclosure for them which is way ahead of their previous one. I know it still is not completely their natural habitat but it does help conservation of this beautiful animal.

You looking at me !

• Tayto's Profile Photo

Tiger Cubs in Dublin Zoo

by Tayto Written Aug 5, 2005

As noted in a previous Tip Dublin Zoo has a great reputation for rearing big cats. In fact the MGM lion at the start of the movies is reputed to have come from Dublin Zoo. Here is a picture I took a few years ago of playful tiger cubs that were successfully bred in the zoo.

Cubs at play

• stevieUK's Profile Photo

by stevieUK Written Dec 18, 2004

Best zoo I've been to. One for those who like to see the big animals tigers, lions, giraffes, elephants, gorillas ...
    Zoos like Bristol/London used to have loads of these but, quite rightly, have now reduced the numbers to give the few they've kept more space. They also have fantastic educational programs and support programs for some endangered species which is all very commendable (I myself sponsor at Bristol in a small way).
    But for ordinary people like myself there is nothing quite like seeing all the big beasts in the flesh and Dublin has been designed with loads of space and just about every large animal you could want to see (OK no Polar Bears or Pandas, though they had Red Pandas).
    Great place to spend ambling round. Not cheap (12.5 Euro) to get in but still good value.
    Top entertainment value was watching the keepers try to get food past the 20 or so herons hanging around to the seals. It must happen every feeding time so I didn't understand why the keepers seemed so confused. An unitentional circus clown act.

It may be a Red Panda but still pretty cute

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

We're going to the zoo today, zoo today, zoo..

by sourbugger Written Sep 28, 2007

Phoenix park is the home to Dublin Zoo. I visited it for the first time in 2007, and was duly impressed. It is obvious that many millions of Euros have been sunk into producing a very well planned and attractive ‘zoo experience’. This appears to be dramatic change from some years back when it had a bit of a reputation for being a very old-fashioned place when tatty and bored animals were squeezed into tiny living spaces. Much like living in a North Dublin Council estate.

Of special note is the ‘African plains’ section which is set around an attractive lake. With clever design features, you can often look out over wild African animals with very few visual clues to tell you that you are still firmly in the centre of a European city rather than the Great Rift Valley.

The tiger enclosure was another winner, set on a steep hill you get a great view wherever they are. The Elephants have a fantastic space, and with the arrival of Asha, the first elephant born in Ireland a real crowd-pleaser.

All the usual suspects you would expect to find in a zoo make an appearance with a few notable exceptions. I couldn’t find any camels (my personal favourites, due to their bad-tempered personalities) or any Panda (not so much bothered about that, they are too cute by half).

A great family day out. Alwats good to visit the in-laws.

prices have increaes recently

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

The current star of the show...

by sourbugger Written Sep 27, 2007

The first baby elephant born in Ireland came along in May 2007. A rare event anywhere, but it called a real stir here. A competition arrived at the name of 'Asha'. I wanted 'Bertie'.

The whole of Dublin Zoo has been comprehensively redeveloped over the past few years, and the new elephant area is one of it's crowning glories. Whilst the animals now seem to have more room than in the average Tanzanian safari reserve, it does make it a bit more difficult to get a good view of little Asha. I only saw her from quite a distance. Lets hope their success in 2007 leads to more pounding of little feet in the future.

P.S Note to my offspring : asha was walking within 8 minutes - what are you playing around at ?

From news agency

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

Animals

by IrishFem Written Jul 30, 2011

Dublin Zoo is located in The Phoenix Park 3km from the City Centre. The Zoo is recognised as one of the most modern in Europe. The Zoo has a complete transformation in the last few years and open up The Plains of Africa where you can see Lions and tigers. It is possible to get the safari train ride around the African Plains if you don't fancy walking around. There is an area for children called the pets corner which kids can interact with some of the animals. Plenty to keep children occupied whilst you walk around the zoo. The shop is another wonderful place where you can purchase stuffed animals and the normal tourist cups and souvenirs and a snack shop. There is also a restaurant that serves basic food like chicken and chips. The zoo is opened daily from 9.30 to 6pm. Adults 15 euro, students 12 euro. Under 16 10.50. Family pass can be also purchased.

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

Zoo: Building Site

by darkjedi Written Jan 29, 2009

Ok... it was January, it was wet, and it was windy and cold. And I do understand the neccessity for Zoo's to carry out construction work when their are no tourists around.. I really do. But when we visited Dublin Zoo, the place was a complete building site, there were virtually no animals on show, in or out of cages and the whole thing was one major disappointment. What annoyed me so much was the fact they charges 15 euro to get in (full price) when 5 euro would have been far more appropriate for the time of day and year.

I can only assume from the good reviews of this zoo that things are very different in the summer months :-(

• kayleigh06's Profile Photo

by kayleigh06 Updated Apr 10, 2007

When I was younger I went around Dublin Zoo with a few family members and i remember it being a great day out, there was lovely weather and theres plenty to do and see at this Zoo. I reckon its one of the best Zoo's I have been to and I would suggest anyone whos in Dublin, along with all the other great things to do and see and places to go to, take a day out to go to the Zoo. This is a great day out especially for families with young childen or animal lovers. The also have a great farm which is an added bonus becuase you can see a farm and Zoo in one day!

The prices are reasonable aswell so it wont break the bank, but just one little tip, advise teenagers to bring I.D as this may be required.5c*

• darkjedi's Profile Photo

Zoo: Haughton House

by darkjedi Written Jan 29, 2009

Inside Dublin Zoo, the Houghton House has been reconstructed to appear as it was when opened in 1898. Unfortunatley the house was closed when we visited the zoo in January.

The house was built in memory of Samuel Haughton who was secretary of the then Royal Zoological Society of Ireland for 20 years until his death in 1897. He was also Professor of Geology at Trinity College and a noted science writer. Unfortunately perhaps, Haughton is better known for working out the maths of how to hang someone humanely, so that the neck broke the instant they dropped.

On the ground floor there were ten dens for wild animals. Visitors viewed them from a central corridor. Above on the first floor there was a refreshment and lecture room and a balcony looked out over the zoo.

• axekick's Profile Photo

Lions and Tigers and Monkeys!!!

by axekick Written Mar 26, 2006

The main zoo features a selection of monkey island where you can watch chimps, meekats etc climb and swing to their hearts content. The reptile house, bat enclosure and south america hut are all good too and worth checking out.

The big cat enclosures are very good too, we were lucky enough to see the tigers at feeding time. We were also lucky to be there while an orangutan baby was still tiny and oh so cute.

The African Plains area to the zoo is very good. The animals have a lot of space that trys to replicate their natural environment quite well but the animals are still close enough to get a good view.

The Meercat Restaurant has some good food at reasonable prices and a large meercat enclosure is built in to the walls so you can watch them while you eat...or they can watch you while they eat. Either way.

Red Panda

• Krumel's Profile Photo

by Krumel Written Oct 11, 2009

I first visited Dublin Zoo in 1999, and thought that is was horrible. I had no intention to visiting it again and haven't done so for nearly 10 years. But this year I decided to have another look, and I was very pleasantly surprised by the changes! The elephants now have a very nice enclosure, rather than just a concrete slab, and even have a pool in which at least the baby elephants can completely submerge themselves. They had a whale of a time at the pool, pushing and shoving each other, and running in and out of the water.

They have also added a lot of land to the zoo, and created a whole new African Plains section with rhinos, giraffe, zebra and ostriches.

My friend and I thought we'd be in and out of there in no time, but ended up spending the whole day there, and were among the last ones to get kicked out of the zoo shop at 6pm.

Admission to the zoo is €15 for adults and €10.50 for children between 3 and 16 years.

Ostrich (or was it an emu...???) Lemur-huddle Chimps on a mission Diving elephant baby doing a Nessie-impression Capybara

• chinotraveller's Profile Photo

Dublin zoo

by chinotraveller Updated Feb 21, 2007

Dublin zoo is a great place to visit for the whole family. You could spend anything from a few hours to the whole day here. There are all sorts of animala to be found here from lions and tigers to apes and monkeys. There are places to sit down to have a meal and places to buy snacks as well as picnic areas for you to sit and eat your own food if you wish. There is a zoo shop selling souveniers.

There are talks and shows on animals such as the sealion feeding time. Oh and watch out for the seaguls they know what time feeding time is at without a guide.

Tiger having a little sleep Gorilla at the zoo Orangatang sealions being fed Rhino

• hevbell's Profile Photo

ZOO

by hevbell Updated Jan 21, 2007

Dublins zoo is situated in Pheonix Park. My friend had never been to one so we decided to use our Dublin pass to go there. Its pretty extensive, with the addition of the "African Plains" area having nearly doubled the size of the zoo. I liked this part best as it seemed to give the animals much bigger areas to wander in.

Entry is free with the Dublin Pass

• Olenka1's Profile Photo

Quite nice place to spend free time.

by Olenka1 Updated Aug 25, 2007

To be honest it's not the best ZOO I've ever seen but it's nice place to spend some free time. Good for families. It tends to be very! busy at the weekends and when kids are off school, o avoid those times if you can.

Instant Answers: Dublin

Comments

Hotels Near Zoo
3.0 out of 5 stars