Tourist Attractions in Dublin

View from one side of the Gravity Bar,
    by sirdavidanthony

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in Dublin

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Sorry, but it just don't add up

by sourbugger Updated Jul 11, 2007

'The Dublin pass' is similar in format to the 'pass' offered in many other European cities.

Unless you are brilliantly organised, the savings will only be minimal.

The pass gives access to 30 attractions (and discounts elsewhere), but the one day pass is a hefty 29 Euro. If you consider that adult entry to the Guiness storehouse is about 14 Euro, and Dublin Zoo much the same price, it begins to look less attractive.

Transport around Dublin is not included, although the website offers a 'Bus rambler' ticket which is well worth it.

The 'aircoach' (from the airport only) is included, and this would activate your ticket on the first day. Considering that you can use a local bus to get in from the airport, this again does not represent good value. You don't even get the aircoach back to the airport included.

So, unless you have planned out your trip to Dublin with military precision, give this offering of the tourist board the heave-ho. It's not worth the trouble.

• acemj's Profile Photo

It's a good trap

by acemj Updated Jun 8, 2003

There are plenty of internet cafes in Dublin, so don't worry about not being connected. However, try not to spend too much time in the net cafe. I popped into net cafes 4 or 5 times in my 3 days in Dublin, but mostly just to escape the rain and to check my email.

Unique Suggestions: The one pictured is in the Temple Bar area and it's part of a chain called, Net House. Go to There all over Dublin and open 24 hours.

• Catspjm's Profile Photo

Tourists welcome

by Catspjm Written May 10, 2003

A thing to watch out for is the 'tourist menu' Common through out Ireland. You will be offered 'traditional food' such as Irish Stew or champ at the same price as a great steak. Do youself a favour and have stew in a bar rather than a restaurant and you will save 90%. Seriously!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Haunted Dublin Walking Tour

by Jefie Updated May 29, 2009

I'm a huge fan of haunted walks and I've gone on several of them, mostly in Canada and in the US. As I was planning my trip to Dublin I came across some information about the haunted walk offered by Hidden Dublin Walking Tour (; 9 Euros), and one evening we decided to give it a try. I have to admit that of all the haunted walks I've been on, this was by far the most disappointing. Our guide was nice and friendly, and I could see that she was trying hard, but her stories were simply not sufficiently researched. A huge part of the appeal of haunted walks for me is to learn quirky historical facts that you wouldn't be able to find out otherwise, but on this tour I didn't learn anything new about Dublin. Since the stories were so short, it left A LOT of time for walking, and walking we did! We pretty much covered the entire downtown area in less than 2h - those in the group who did not have good walking shoes on did not seem to be enjoying themselves... So all this to say that I would not recommend going on this tour.

Unique Suggestions: Well, since we literally walked all over the downtown area, it does help you figure out where all the major attractions are located... and it's a heck of a workout!

Fun Alternatives: The 1916 Rebellion Walking Tour is supposed to be much more interesting, so do that one instead (!

Is the ghost of Archbishop Marsh still around?! One of the haunted buildings on St Stephen's Green Even the Shelbourne has some strange guests!

• Krumel's Profile Photo

Smithfield Horse Market

by Krumel Written Jan 31, 2003

Well, it’s not exactly a tourist trap, as it is not exactly a tourist attraction, but I’ll put it in here, anyway:

Every first Sunday of the month there is a horse fair on in Smithfield (near the Four Courts). It’s a bit of a rough-and-ready sort of thing, with many sturdy piebald and skewbald horses for sale, as well as ponies and donkeys. I visited it in 2000, and was not impressed. It seemed to be an unregulated and unsupervised affair, with horses and ponies not always in the best of shape, and some being sold to teenagers who raced them up and down the cobblestones. It might be one of Dublin’s old traditions, but some changes and regulations in the interest of animal welfare will certainly not go amiss.

Smithfield Horse Fair

• swissfondue's Profile Photo

Research Tour Companies BEFORE YOU BOOK.

by swissfondue Updated Apr 11, 2013

Its not often I post a negative review as my travel experiences are for the most part wonderful. So it stands to reason that I wish the same for others. This tip has therefore been updated only for this purpose and I sincerely hope that the tourism operator mentioned has, in the interim, lifted their standards.

Ireland is a wonderful hospitable country and I enjoyed my time there immensely. With one exception....

"Day Tours Unplugged" is just one of many companies running tours from Dublin to the County Wicklow Area, Glendalough and the Hill of Tara.

Speaking from personal experience I found this company to be very unprofessional and this tip is written solely to inform potential customers that some Tour Companies do not always deliver on their promises to customers.

On the morning of my tour I was not collected from my pick up point despite having booked and paid for the tour months in advance and while I was annoyed at missing out (on doing a tour I was particularly looking forward to), I was much more annoyed by the arrogant attitude of the company's staff. They weren't at all apologetic for letting me down quite the opposite in fact. Maybe they forgot that tourist Euros pay their wages!!!

I notice that this particular tour company has fallen steadily from being number one on the Tripadvisor Dublin Attractions list to number 23, indicating that if a business fails to impress its customers then consequently they will be honest in their appraisal.

I wrote my own Tripadvisor review highlighting my disappointment, which management responded to, although not surprisingly, they confused me with another unhappy customer and their reply did not relate in any way to me or my personal experience with them.

Based on the inaccuracy of their own reply I would be very dubious about the authenticity of the many glowing reviews written about this company. It seems a little suspect that the majority are written by people whose only contribution to Tripadvisor is one review praising this tour.

It concerns me that this business may be spending time trying to negate the effects of falling ratings (which by their unprofessionalism they have created themselves) by posting bogus positive reviews. If that is the case, I think time would be better spent creating positive rather than negative outcomes for their customers by concentrating on providing what they advertise.

Unique Suggestions: Ethically Tour Companies should provide what is listed on their website. My best advice is to do some research. Read as many reviews as possible on a number of different travel websites before you BOOK.

• frozensausage's Profile Photo

Scary Casino

by frozensausage Written Feb 26, 2007

The Temple Bar casino is situated in a backstreet in Temple Bar.
    The casino itself is situated underground, like many are in Manchester.

The difference being, is that most casinos I have been to have had more than one table.
    The place was the size of my kitchen, and we were the only non-Chinese people in there.
    We discovered that there were minimum bets and all sorts of ways of parting us fools with our money.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Casino and Gambling

• kathycollins's Profile Photo

Although the Dublin Pub Crawl...

by kathycollins Written Sep 12, 2002

Although the Dublin Pub Crawl is a tourist's event, it can be lots of fun. You start out at The Oliver St.John Gogarty Pub in Temple Bar, and hit several pubs, accompanied by tourguide- musician. It's a nice way to sample the scene if you are traveling by yourself, but music can be more enjoyable when you find a comfortable pub with a group of musicians and settle in for the evening!

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

ceili at monkstown

by call_me_rhia Written Dec 22, 2002

Somewhere south of Dublin, in an area called Monkstown, there a cultural centre called culturlann na heireann where a few tiomes a week it's possible to take part in ceili nights. What can I say? It wuld have been a good idea if the whole point had been to keep the ceili tradition alive... but when i was taken there.. it's was a"i try to teach u to dance" evening aimened at tourists. Not very enjoyable, nor authentic

Unique Suggestions: Nope, there's no excuse, just don't go. Buy a video.. it's more fun and better danced.

Fun Alternatives: If it's ceili or set dancing you're interested in, the only "authentic" alternative is to be invited by some locals - possibly out in the country - for some wedding. Then there are slight chance of being part of the original "dance".

a very old ceili ticket

• call_me_rhia's Profile Photo

the brazen head pub

by call_me_rhia Written Oct 20, 2002

it's reknown as the oldest pub in Dublin. While this claim it's possibly true, it's also true the fact that it attracts the tour-bus crowd and the unimaginative tourist. traditional music on most night - of the worst kind. It's in the Liberties, at 8 Bridge Street

Unique Suggestions: The only way to make the experience bearable is to ignore your neighbour and get drunk as fast as you can.

Fun Alternatives: any other pub would do

brazen head. a saddening experience

• Gili_S's Profile Photo

Wrong Bar

by Gili_S Written Nov 6, 2013

If you stepped in a pub with such list of taps as in this image, you are probably on the wrong place, usually those are part of the big cartel distribution and you will probably wouldn’t get any quality beer out of those.

Fun Alternatives: Try another pub.

• Tax (not) Free Shopping

by steve_arrow Written May 22, 2011

Tax Free Shopping

If you are a tourist from a non-EU country, you may be able to receive a partial refund of VAT tax (which currently stands at 21%.) However, unlike some other countries, there is no unified scheme under which a tourist can claim this refund back. The method of refund depends solely on the particular retailer and so tourists should ask the retailer before they make a purchase if they wish to receive a VAT refund.

One scheme retailers who are popular with tourists operate is private (ie. non-governmental) VAT refund agents. Using this scheme, the shopper receives a magnetic stripe card which records the amount of purchases and VAT paid every time a purchase is made and then claims the VAT back at the airport, minus commission to the VAT refund agent, which is often quite substantial. There are multiple such VAT refund agents and so you may need to carry multiple cards and make multiple claims at the airport. However, note that there may NOT be a VAT refund agent representative at the airport or specific terminal where you will be departing from, or it may not be open at the time you depart. In which case, getting a refund back could become more cumbersome as you may need to communicate with the VAT refund agent from your home country.

If the retailer does not operate the VAT refund agent scheme, they may tell you that you all you have to do is take the receipt they produce to the airport and claim the refund at the VAT refund office at the airport. However, this is incorrect. Irish Revenue does not make any VAT refunds directly to tourists. Tourists are responsible for having receipts stamped by customs, either in Ireland upon departure or at their home country upon arrival and then send these receipts as proof of export directly to the Irish retailer which is obligated to make a VAT refund directly to the tourist. Therefore, for example, if you have made 10 different purchases at 10 different retailers, you will need to make 10 separate claims for refunds with every single retailer. Note, however, that some retailers do not participate in the scheme all together and so you may not be able to get any VAT refund from some retailers.

Therefore, if you plan on receiving VAT tourist refund on your purchases in Ireland, you should be careful where you shop and which refund scheme they operate, if any. From my personal experience, I would avoid making big purchases in Ireland and hoping to get VAT tax back on them as the government does not regulate this area properly and your chances can be quite slim to get anything back.

• cimc's Profile Photo

Taxis-careful now

by cimc Updated Jun 7, 2005

This is an obvious one and applies to most cities but an awful lot of Dublin Taxi Drivers really are (as the local parlance would put it) chancers. Because Dublin is laid out in haphazard way with lots one one way streets and traffice restrictions it is easy to get confused. I even had a taxi driver try to convince me that I really lived on the road in Rathgar he dropped me off on-are you joking me! it was 4 miles from my house but as luck would have it on his route home. So if the journey seems too long or expensive whip out your map and make sure you are not being done. The Driver will most likely be VERY rude about it but at least he'll have something to moan about to the next unfourtuate passenger-who will prob me me!!

• grift71's Profile Photo

Dublinia. Now there's an...

by grift71 Written Aug 26, 2002

Dublinia. Now there's an idiotic view to Dublin through the ages... You can't hear some of the presentations because of the noise of shouting merchants (on tape, don't be alarmed) and after hitting someone (fake person, don't worry) on the head with a rubber ball that person (tape, relax) will tell you why he is standing there being hit over the head with rubber balls. Personally I did not understand one single word, but hey, give it a shot (with the balls) if you want.

• bluefelt's Profile Photo

Okay, so we went all the way...

by bluefelt Updated Aug 26, 2002

Okay, so we went all the way to Dublin, and instead of seeing all the tourist traps, we got the local version....which means we never saw the Book of Kells. I'm okay with that. I have art books with pictures of them.

Dublin Hotels

• Westbury Hotel

I stayed at the Westbury Hotel for one night in May 2013 while on business in Dublin. To be frank,...

• Cornerville B&B

83 Offington Ave.

Satisfaction: Excellent

Good for: Business

• The Merrion

When I went to Dublin for the first time (on business) I had the good fortune of not only staying at...

Latest Dublin Hotel Reviews

Ashling Hotel Dublin
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 6 Reviews

Instant Answers: Dublin

Dublin Tourist Traps

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Dublin locals.
Map of Dublin