Dublin Bus, Dublin

Know about this? Rate It!

• The yellow doubledeckers are pretty easy to spot!
    The yellow doubledeckers are pretty easy...
    by Jefie
    Hoping on the bus at night
    by Gypsystravels
    Confusing bus route map
    by Gypsystravels
  • sourbugger's Profile Photo

Saving some money on dublin bus !

by sourbugger Updated Jan 12, 2013

You can buy a 'family rover' tocket from Dublin bus for just 11.50 Euro. As this covers two adults and 678 children (ok thats bit is a lie). Rather suprisingly it covers the 747 route from the airport to town which is usually 6 euro per adult to start with. It also covers the bus to the port.

It can be bought from dublin bus office on o'connell st. Go on the website for dublin bus. It connects with ticketmaster and they will even post worldwide! Ticket is valid for a year, but only on the day you first validate..if you see what i mean.

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

Bus Information

by IrishFem Updated Jul 31, 2011

Dublin is small and easy to get around. I have included the bus timetable website. If you're staying for more than a day you should buy a rambler ticket. Tickets can be bought in shops all over the city. A typical one day adult fare would cost you 5.00 euro, plus you can get special discount if you're staying within the city. For an adult 3 day rambler the cost is 9.50 euros and a 5 day rambler is 14.50. Look at the website for more upto date information and deals. When you have purchased your ticket, you insert it into the validator when you board the bus. If you don't have a ticket you must pay the conductor the correct amount of change, otherwise you end up paying more for your journey and if you want your change will have to go to their office in the city to collect it. Bus routes are know by the number on the front / back of the bus. The buses don't stop automatically you have to put your hand out.

The back of a bus

• Dabs's Profile Photo

Dublin bus

by Dabs Written Sep 26, 2010

We found most of Dublin to be walkable, we even walked from Ballsbridge over to the Watling Street Bridge near the Guinness Brewery which had seemed so far away when I did the HOHO bus the previous year. But for our final night in Dublin at the Ardmore Hotel, that was too far to walk to central Dublin so we used the bus that stopped just outside our hotel. The fares are based on stages, deduct the boarding stage number from the alighting stage number or you can do like me and just ask the bus driver.

From the Ardmore Hotel is was €1.80 each way, you pay the bus driver and must have exact change in coins, not paper. If you don't have exact change, the driver will issue a passenger change ticket for the overpayment which you have to take to Dublin Bus, 59 Upper O`Connell Street, in get a refund but that seems like more trouble than it's worth.

If you are planning on using the bus a lot, there are different options for day passes, multiple day passes and family passes, for more info click here and look at the different options for adult, family, tourist, and student tickets. The tourist tickets look to include the hop on hop off bus so be sure to check out the other cheaper options if you don't want that.

The buses are double decker, go up the stairs to the top and see if you can get the front seats for a nice view.

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

GhostBus Tour

by BeatChick Updated Jun 4, 2010

Run by Dublin Sightseeing, which also runs the Dublin Hop On Hop Off Tours, the Ghost Bus Tour is the macabre introduction to Dublin. It features sites connected with Bram Stoker (author of "Dracula" - betcha didn't know he was a Dubliner, didja?!?), the Haunted Steps, St. Kevin's Graveyard (bodysnatching) and others.

My daughter, upon hearing me breathlessly describe this even thought I was saying "ghostbusters"!!

You can order tickets on-line with the benefit of garnering a 15% discount off the 28 euro price.

Photo: April 2010

Ghost Bus Tour
    • Adventure Travel

• BeatChick's Profile Photo

by BeatChick Written Jun 4, 2010

Dublin Bus is the easy, fast way to maneuver around Dublin. I love riding the top side of the double decker buses for a great view of the city.

We loved walking around the city but sometimes, when it was cold or we were tired, we'd just hop the bus to take us back to our hotel. Or if we were in a hurry we'd hop one to take us to our destination (like to the movies!).

Photos: April 2010

Dublin Bus - Robert Pattinson
    • Singles

• jo104's Profile Photo

by jo104 Written Apr 12, 2010

First of all make sure you have the correct change on you cause if you throw extra money into the slot you can only reclaim the difference at the bus HQ in Upper O'Connell street.
    There is a small inner city zone in which you will only be charged 50c otherwise your fare is more likely to be Eur1.15. The 16A bus goes to the airport and costs Eur2.20 but apparently takes about an hour.

Buses are slow in Dublin due to the congestion but also fairly frequent. Be warned that as O'Connell street is very long your bus stop may be a bit of a walk away particulary annoying if you have a heavy backpack. Ring the bell for your driver to stop.

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Getting around Dublin by bus

by Jefie Written May 24, 2009

Dublin is a very walkable city - you might not even have to use the bus at all while you're there. We only took it once on a rainy morning to get to Kilmainham Gaol (and even then we came back on foot). Traveling by bus in Dublin is fairly simple - we stopped by the hotel's front desk to ask which bus would take us to Kilmainham Gaol and where it would leave from. We took the 78A leaving from Aston Quay, asked the driver how much it cost to get to Kilmainham Gaol (1.60 Euros), paid our fare (you need exact change), and off we went!

The yellow doubledeckers are pretty easy to spot!

• christine.j's Profile Photo

To and from the airport

by christine.j Updated May 5, 2009

For the first two days we got the Rambler ticket for a family and two adults.They can be bought at Dublin airport, as they also include the airport bus. I tried to validate our tickets by stamping them, but then was shown how to hold them in front of the circular sign in the bus. Easy, once I knew how to do it.

The airport bus took about 30 minutes to O'Connell Street. It leaves right outside the terminal.

On our way back to the airport we took the regular bus, 16A. This is cheaper - 2,20 per adult, 1 Euro per child - but takes longer. There was much traffic and we needed almost two hours.

Some people had put their bags on the seats, the bus driver came up and told them to take them down on the luggage rack. Every seat was needed as the bus got really full.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 18, 2009

I normally do not use the bus service in any city, especially a walkable city like Dublin, but we were going to meet up with some friends for dinner and we were running a bit late after doing some shopping, so we hoped on the bus for the short 10 minute ride to our hotel.

Dublin is a big bus city. Its main transportation is the bus and there are many routes which can take you to most parts of Dublin.

I did find that the route maps located on the bus stops were a bit confusing, so we had to ask someone standing at the stop waiting for the bus which one would live us close to to our hotel.

The buses are the double decker kind which are really clean and very comfy to ride in.

There are a few different options for the bus but if you are riding from point A to point B you will probably pay as you go. I believe the fare was .80 euro cent and you must have exact change.

Hoping on the bus at night Confusing bus route map

• lina112's Profile Photo

Number 41 To Airport

by lina112 Written Mar 17, 2009

Take num 41 is the cheapest one, only 2.20 euros, it runs on about a 20 minute frequency and in 30 minutes you reach Dublin, take the correct fare because driver don’t give you any change. The bus stop on Dublin airport is next to stop number 747, there is a vending machine in the stop where you can buy the ticket. The bus line has stops on Lower Gardiner Street and Lower Abbey Street just off to Busaras and O´connell Street.*

Buses
    • Architecture

• Local Bus Tours

by Valerie09 Written Jan 13, 2009

I recently visited friends living in the Dublin area and found the public transportation very friendly and easy to use.

First, visit the city center comonly known as St. Stephens Green. From there you catch a tour bus to visit all the city's major tourist attractions. The buses run from early morning till around 5 or 6 pm. You pay one fee around $13 euro and can catch a ride all day long traveling the downtown area. There are only two or three city tour bus companies which are color coded and they have stops every few blocks. I never waited more than 10 minutes to catch a ride to a different location. It was an easy, safe, and smart way to easily navagate the city and get my bearings.

After feeling more confident with the area I typically walked or caught a local city bus for about $1.50 euro. There are so many buses but the locals are more than friendly if you should need help. I found that the merchants often had bus schedules and that they were more than happy to assist me to figure out which one I needed to catch.

While my friends worked durring the week I set out on some day trips to Waterford and other areas. You can take a train called the DART to many areas. I booked online and took taxi to my destinations. Many taxis will offer you a card so that you can call them for a ride back to the station that same evening. If you give thier card to a merchant and make a kind request, they will call for you.

Overall, my exsperience in Ireland was very nice and hassle free. The Irish are sooo friendly and accomodating. As a single female traveling alone throughout the week I never once felt afraid for my safety or worried about being scammed. Basic rule of thumb, don't be afraid to ask for assistance. It's so easy to get around with mutiple modes of public transportation available. Taxis are great, but seriously, the tour bus runs all day long you can hop on and off as many times as you want for one fee and see the whole city.

One last tip. Wear a light weight fleece or windbreaker at all times. It rains daily somewhere there for a few minutes at any given time. Get a compact umbrella to put in a purse or pocket. Wear good walking shoes. The cities are small and easy to navigate if you have decent footwear.

• lbhspatriot's Profile Photo

Have a ride on a double decker!

by lbhspatriot Updated Dec 27, 2008

Dublin Bus is a public transport in Ireland, which can take you to various locations around Dublin county. There are a lot of different routes and buses opperate frequently - however for some reason never on schedule. If you want to get on the bus you have to wave your hand at the bus, for it to even pull over at the bus stop.

The fares vary and are usually calculated on a stage system (which is based on the distance you intend to travell). There are several different levels of fares, prices range from €1,05 - € 2. There are discount fares for seniors and children.
    If you are not sure what to pay, ask the driver. It is enough to say eg."Stephens' Green" and he will simply tell you how much to pay, they are polite enough to tell you when to get off if you ask. Or if they see you are really lost, they will make sure themselves that you get to the right location. If you know where you are going remember to push the "Stop" button or the bus might not pull over at your stop.

Also:
    Remember to have the exact amount of money when traveling on the Dublin Bus, the drivers have " no change" policy (actually they don't have access to money at all). But don't worry I you do not have the exact sum, in case of overpayment a "change ticket" is issued (you get 2 ticketts printed instead of one) which can only be exchanged for cash at the company's head office on O'Connell Street.

The Dublin bus is a nice way to travel across Dublin, I recommend to sit at the front upper window at least once. Enjoy your ride.

• Mikebond's Profile Photo

Waiting for a bus...

by Mikebond Updated Nov 15, 2008

If the postcard you have seen in the introduction to this page wasn't clear enough, then read this tip.
    Dublin Bus is the company that run the urban bus service of the city. The network includes dozens of lines. When I visited Dublin, it was the only means of public transport and I found it terrible. Before going to Dublin, I had never taken a bus in such a big city, so the nightmare was even greater. I had to take the bus 75 to go from my hostfamily's place to the English school and vice versa. It happened quite often that the bus passed but didn't stop because it was already full and when a bus is full, the driver doesn't stop. Sometimes, it didn't pass at all.
    Also remember that you are expected to pay the ticket to the driver: the price changes according to your destination and you should always pay the exact amount, otherwise you won't get any money back.

waiting for a bus

• doug48's Profile Photo

airport bus

by doug48 Written Jun 21, 2008

the best way to get to downtown dublin from the airport is the airport bus. this express bus goes to o'connell street in central dublin. most of the attractions of dublin are walking distance from this spot. if the traffic is light the trip takes about 20 minutes. the fare is 6 euro.

• Architecture
    • Castles and Palaces

• iaint's Profile Photo

Good service

by iaint Written Apr 8, 2008

We used Dublin Bus several times, as our hotel was 3km from the city centre.

Frequent service and only €1.5 each. You need to have the correct change, however.

Also, beware of delays during the rush hours!

Instant Answers: Dublin