Dublin Bus, Dublin

Know about this? Rate It!

• The yellow doubledeckers are pretty easy to spot!
    The yellow doubledeckers are pretty easy...
    by Jefie
    Hoping on the bus at night
    by Gypsystravels

by kenbac Updated Mar 27, 2008

A Bus

Dublin Bus.
    Where can I start.
    This has got to be one of the worst and most unreliable bus services in Europe.
    The timetables are a joke as they go early or late and frequently miss the run altogether. Also the times given are the "starting time" and give no indication whatsoever of times at intermediate stops.
    For the benefit of tourists, the most frequent destination seen on a Dublin bus is "As Serbhis". You will see dozens of buses going there while you wait for a bus. Of course, they never stop. Only the staff go to "As Serbhis". It means "Out of Service"

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Dublin Bus

by cjg1 Updated Feb 4, 2008

The Dublin city busses are quite good. We used them from the airport to the B&B and also from the B&B into the city. Only once in the trip did we rely on taxis to get us home as we just didn’t feel like standing in the cold to wait for the bus to come.

It is a simple to use bus and the views from upstairs are quite good at times, a good way to see things while being inside and keeping it cheap. In respect to the locals going to and from work, don’t do this until after rush hour. No one wants tourists making them late for work.

The fare system is based on stop to stop pricing although they seem to lump stops together and the city center area is considered one area.

We used a day pass for the first day and just the one way pricing for the second day.

Be aware that on Sunday’s the busses do not start running early enough to catch the first flights out and you’ll have to take a taxi to the airport if you have an early flight.

• EPoodle's Profile Photo

Prepaid Tickets - Save on Bus Fare

by EPoodle Written Oct 15, 2007

If you are not concentrated only on the Dublin centre, you might need to use the bus.
    You can substantialy save by buying daily, family or rambler tickets for Dublin bus or some combination with Dart or Luas.

You cannot buy such tickets on the bus. You can buy them at the news agent.
    I
    n the bus, you have to pay exact fare for the ride.
    You have to pay with coins and no change is given. The amount depends on the number of stages you are travelling.

• Olenka1's Profile Photo

Dublin buses.

by Olenka1 Written Aug 25, 2007

Public transport is a nightmare in Dublin. There are no timetables at the bus stops, and even if there are, the times apply only to the very first stop. Buses are nearly always late, but that's ok as you usually not sure what their times should be anyway. Prices are too high. Some late buses are very dirty. In fact it is impossible to get a bus after midnight, or it is if you patient enough to wait half an hour or more.

• Kova's Profile Photo

Hmmm...?

by Kova Updated Jun 17, 2007

Always late (blame the traffic, not the actual bus :) , awkward, and stinking. What can you do. Keep in mind that your bus fare depends on where you're going. For example 1-3 stages you'd be paying 1 euro, and anythink over 23 stages would cost you 1,90.
    So do your math and decide if you want to buy daily, weekly, family,..or any other type of tickets in advance instead.
    Nitelink is always 4 euro. It doesn't usually go from the same spot as your "normal day-time bus" and the number could be different so check it first. There is no nitelink on Mondays.

• Kushelkitten's Profile Photo

Dublin Bus: A Relief for Tired Feet

by Kushelkitten Updated May 14, 2007

Rambler ticket

Awhile back I met a woman here in Germany who used to work in Dublin. The one thing she always complained about was the buses and how they were never on-time. I've since lost touch with her but her complaints stuck in my mind and when I decided to go to Dublin I felt prepared to be standing forever waiting for the bus. When I got there I found that the mental preparation wasn't needed. The buses were quick and on-time everytime I wanted one, except once and even then the next one came punctually. Who knows what became of the one that never showed up
    shrugs >.

So Dublin bus is easy to use if you know where you want to go and even easier if you have some idea how to get there in the first place. Being a "planner" I looked all of that up before hand on their website (Link provided below). I decided for getting around Dublin for 5 days and needing to go to and from the airport the 5 Day Dublin Rambler ticket was the best way to go. It is good on the AirLink buses as well as all regualr Dublin bus services. I wasnt sure if I would really use it on the regular buses since Dublin is rather compact but after so much walking, especially to Guinness I was glad I went ahead and bought it.

Rambler tickets come in 1, 3, 5, and 7 days. Prices availble on the Dublin Bus website under daily fares. They can be purchased at the Tourist information center or CIE Bus and Rail Info at the Arrivals level of Dublin Airport or at Dublin Bus at 59 Upper O'Connell Street.

• Study Abroad
    • Singles

• Dublin transportation needs urgent upgrade

by dankat24 Written Apr 8, 2007

The local transportation in Dublin can be a problem, especially in crowded hours. Buses are infrequent, they tend not to respect the schedule, and the trip-fare is expensive compared to the quality of the service. The city needs a subway or at least the extension of the tram network.

• frozensausage's Profile Photo

€5 Rover

by frozensausage Written Feb 26, 2007

My Chauffeur

Why pay €45 for a taxi from Dublin Airport to the heart of the city?

The one-day bus pass, which is available from the ticket machines opposite the bus stop allow one day's travel on all Dublin buses.

We were able to use this extensively to get around the city on an extremely rainy day.

For a few Euros more you can add DART usage to the pass.

• Gay and Lesbian
    • Beer Tasting

• LBKesner's Profile Photo

Good bus system, friendly drivers....

by LBKesner Updated Nov 12, 2006

Chris and friends hop on the bus, going to town...

At the bus station on O'Connell, you can buy a month-long pass for about 80 euor or a weekly pass for about 20 and get bus-taking directions to any spot you want to visit in or around Dublin. I enjoye taking the bus, talking to locals and getting some good advice about what to see and do during my visits on my rides.

• orlikins's Profile Photo

Dublin Bus

by orlikins Updated Aug 31, 2006

Pants, Schmants on the Nitelink

Extensive (though rarely punctual) Bus service around Dublin city and suburbs.

Some routes are regularly changed to work around the roadworks going on in the city centre for Luas. Check the Dublin Bus link.

When boarding you can either pay the driver (and queue longer) or use a pre-paid ticket and get a seat before everyone else. I recommend getting a pre-paid ticket. You can get them in newsagents where you see the Dublin Bus Sign. Tourists usually get the Rambler tickets, where you can go whereever you want in either 3, 5, or 7 days.

Again, check the link to see the types of pre-paid tickets. You cannot use these pre-paid tickets for the Nightlink or the Airport bus.

• kari5's Profile Photo

Hey, not bad ...

by kari5 Written Jul 13, 2006

We flew into Dublin for a day, just a short adventure to see what we could see. On arrival at the airport, we went to the tourist desk who gave us two options for getting to the city centre - either as part of the Dublin pass which would also include entry to various attractions but would only take us there and not back, and would cost 29 Euros each. The other option was on the regular bus, two adults could travel return on a family ticket for 8 Euros 50. Guess which one we went for? :)

The bus to the city centre is the 747 and stops directly outside the terminal, and takes you to O'Connell Street (which I must say isn't the smartest area I've ever seen). We had no luggage so this was absolutely no fuss whatsoever. There was only a short wait for the bus each way and the journey took about half an hour to 40 minutes. At 8.50 for two adults you can't grumble at the price either.

• oceania26's Profile Photo

riding the bus

by oceania26 Written Apr 18, 2006

Except walking or biking probably teh cheapest way to travel around Dublin...I found the bus drivers to be rude and unhelpful for the most part. I asked one driver to let me off near Camden and he told me to get off near Trinity College...I ended up having to walk a good 15-20mins with my backpack. A couple of other times when I asked if they would let me know when my stop arrived, I got the answer 'if i remember' rudely.

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

By Bus Around Dublin

by Marpessa Updated Dec 26, 2005

A couple of times I used the local buses to go around Dublin. Dublin has an extensive Bus network and this was an easy way to get around the city.

Dublin is divided up into 'stages' and the cost of your ticket will depend on the number of 'stages travelled'.

Stages and Prices
    1 - 3: EUR 0,90
    4 - 7: EUR 1,30
    8 - 13: EUR 1,50
    14 - 23: EUR 1,75
    Over 23: EUR 1,85

For more information on fares and 'stages' check out: http://www.dublinbus.ie/fares_and_tickets/fares.asp#1

• Study Abroad

• Fen's Profile Photo

Buses

by Fen Updated Sep 27, 2005

Buses:
    Buses are the main form of public transport in Dublin. Dublin bus (Bus Atha Cliath) operates Mon-Sat 6AM-23:30PM, Sun 10AM-23:30PM
    The number and destination (in English and Irish) are displayed on the front. Au Lar means city centre.
    Tickets can be brought on the bus and exact change is needed.

Taxis:
    Taxi ranks can be found outside hotels, train and bus stations and at key locations such as St Stephen's Green, Dame Street, O'Connell Street and Dawson Street.

• cazz38's Profile Photo

BUY A RAMBLER TICKET.

by cazz38 Updated Aug 20, 2005

Dublin buses

When we first arrived at Dublin Airport there were lots of ticket machines for the bus services.We bought a 3 day Rambler ticket for 10 euros which was good as the buses were much different here then they are at home.You have to have the correct fare when you get on the bus and feed it into a machine,there is no change given so it was easier with the ticket and you can go on any bus you like.

Instant Answers: Dublin