Getting Around Dublin

Most Viewed Transportation in Dublin

• Kodi01's Profile Photo

Horse and buggy rides.

by Kodi01 Updated Feb 1, 2004

A horse ride with Skippy, we passed the horse and buggy and I wanted to pet the horse. The buggy driver said his name is Skippy, named after a movie horse. I guess he skips through Dublin.

This is one way to see the city by horse and carraige. I loved the horses in Dublin.

• Gypsystravels's Profile Photo

American Airlines to Dublin

by Gypsystravels Updated Mar 3, 2009

I will always try my hardest to get to any city in the world on American Airlines. They are my choice airline where I have status that makes my flying experience so much more enjoyable.

My first trip to Dublin was a business trip and although my company uses United for all business trips I was able to convince my employer to pay for my ticket on American Airlines because I would fly coach instead of United business. I did this because I had arranged for Ferni to meet me in Dublin and we would return together. Thank goodness my boss is very accommodating and agreed to allow me to fly American Airlines (just this trip).

American Airlines has service to Dublin via Chicago O'Hare on what seems to be one scheduled flight a day 6 days a week. Not a great option if you're flight is cancelled (sigh), but if you have status like I do, you will probably opt to go this route.

The flight is about 6-7 hours long, depending on the direction of the winds. Service is good and the flight attendants are usually quite friendly and helpful which makes any flight enjoyable.

• kentishgirl's Profile Photo

LUAS

by kentishgirl Updated Oct 31, 2004

I am actually really excited about the LUAS, the new light railway sytem in Dublin, I can say that because I dont have to live there anymore through all of the inconvinience whilst it is being built - hahahaha!!

But when it is finished I think that it will fab, you will be able to travel from Tallaght in the south of the city right up to Abbey Street in the centre of the city, they are also running a line from St.Stephens Green to Sandyford and from Abbey Street to Connolly station.

I think that some of the lines are due to open summer/autumn 2004?? If somebody can confirm that would be great!

• Catspjm's Profile Photo

Problems, problems

by Catspjm Written May 10, 2003

Transportation would be one of Dublin’s primary problems. These days it is relatively cheap and easy to get there from most places in the world. The problems start once you arrive. Nearly all ‘transport things’ are ‘under review’
    The airport is being revamped but can properly handle half the volume f people that it currently tries to.
    The bus system is terrible. Infrequent and always running late due to the traffic
    Driving and traffic: Possibly worse than Rome!
    Taxis: Expensive and very difficult to get late at night
    Train is good, but no underground or metro system
    Best advice would be to stay centrally

• cazz38's Profile Photo

EXCELLENT VALUE FOR MONEY.

by cazz38 Written Aug 19, 2005

We booked with flybe on the internet at the bargain price of 59 pounds each return, they have some really good deals,it only took 45 minutes from Exeter Airport,Flybe operates from most UK Airports,check out their website for more information.

• Business Travel

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

To Dublin from Clifden (in Connemara)

by MalenaN Written Mar 11, 2013

On Internet I had seen that there were a few buses daily from Clifden to Dublin and I decided to take the 9:15 bus. The bus stop in Clifden is on Market Street, not even a minute away from Clifden Town Hostel where I stayed.

The bus arrived in time and I left my luggage in the compartment below (large bags must be put there). On the bus I paid for the ticket to Dublin and it was 23 Euro (March 2013). After 1h 45min the bus arrived in Galway and there the passengers for Dublin had to change bus, but the bus for Dublin didn’t leave until 30 minutes later, at 11:15. It can be good with half an hour in Galway if you need to go to the bathroom at the coach station (it cost 20 cents) or need to go to the convenient store across the road to buy something to eat and drink.

The bus was full when it left Galway for Dublin. It was an express bus and it only stops in Dublin at the railway station, the city centre and the airport. From Galway to Dublin city centre, a bus stop on Bachelor’s Walk, it took 2.5h. From the bus stop it was only a one-minute walk to Abbey Court, the hostel where I was going to stay, so very convenient.

• Marpessa's Profile Photo

The Emerald Isle By Bus

by Marpessa Updated Apr 4, 2011

The best way to get around Ireland (unless you're on a tour or have hired a car) is by using Bus Eireann. It is a lot cheaper than travelling by train, and they go to more destinations around Ireland. Also at their main bus stations (Dublin, Waterford, Cork, etc) you can find out about specialised trips, like the Ring of Kerry.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Dublin Bus - City Tour, Hop-On/Off

by TravellerMel Updated Apr 4, 2011

All around Dublin, you will see these double decker busses. Buy a ticket at any stop - the ticket is good for 24 hours from the time of purchase (if you buy the ticket at 3pm, it is good until 3pm the next day). There is a running audio tour, and they make stops at 23 Dublin attractions/sites including the Guiness Brewery, Trinity College (Book of Kells), Kilmainham Gaol and many more. This is a GREAT thing to do your first day in Dublin - take the entire tour to get the lay of the city, then use the transport to get to the places you want to see. When you are done at one location, just wait for the next bus to take you to your next. It was a great deal. There are at least 2 companies who run this type of tour - just make sure you get on the correct color bus!

• Singles

• lina112's Profile Photo

Land and Water city tour

by lina112 Written Nov 24, 2005

Is a ship? Is a boat?........... Is Viking Splash Tour a very funny way to know the city of Dublin. I did not have enough time to take the tour but next time i?ll do it. The trip take 1 hour and 20 minutes and the guide explains the history of dublin. It?s a little expensive but i think it worth it. For kids is a funny way to know Dublin and they´ll enjoy and learn about this wonderful city.

• School Holidays

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

From Dublin airport to Belfast by bus

by MalenaN Written Mar 9, 2011

For me it was much cheaper to fly in to Dublin than to Belfast and as there is a bus from Dublin airport to Belfast that was a good option for me. Goldline service 200 runs every hour (almost) between Dublin and Belfast. The buses leave 20 minutes past every hour from Dublin Airport and leave Belfast on the hour.

My flight was supposed to land at 11.20 so I hoped to catch the 12.20 bus. To my luck the plane landed almost 25 minutes too early so I could take the 11.20 bus. The bus stop is Stop 8 Atrium Road and it is only a few minutes away from the arrival hall. Just follow the signs from the arrival hall and turn right as you leave, cross the road, walk through a building and you will have the bus stop on your left. Tickets can be bought from a machine at the bus stop, but can also be bought on board the bus. I bought a return ticket for 20 Euro (February 2011) and they are valid for one month. The bus made a few stops along the way and arrived at Europa BusCentre in Belfast 2 hours and 5 minutes after we had left Dublin airport. From the bus station it was only a 10 minutes walk to the hostel where I was going to stay.

Going back to Dublin airport I took the bus leaving 8.00 from Belfast. Suddenly the bus stopped and a man came aboard asking for passport or id-card. I saw we were standing in front of a sign saying Welcome to County Louth and I realised this was the boarder to The Republic of Ireland.

• lina112's Profile Photo

Going to

by lina112 Updated Nov 23, 2005

From Málaga airport there´s direct flights to Dublin airport with aer lingus and ryanair but I flew with Iberia because i did not find flights with the others companies before.

With Iberia there is not direct flight to Dublin from Málaga you have to change at Madrid or Barcelona, i did it on Madrid, the flight was early in the morning. I took the flight from Málaga to Madrid at 6.35 in the morning and from Madrid to Dublin at 10.15 am and arrived to Dublin airport at 11.35 am. Coming back was at 18.50 from Dublin to Madrid and 23.50 pm from Madrid to Málaga. The staff was very friendly and the service was ok.

• Women's Travel

• cazz38's Profile Photo

GREAT WAY TO SEE THE CITY.

by cazz38 Written Aug 19, 2005

Right outside our Hotel in Dame street was a parking bay for all the Horse and Carts.For 12 euros four of you can take a tour of the city,we thought this was an excellent way to see Dublin.

• Adventure Travel
    • Horse Riding

• Jase1177's Profile Photo

Intercity Trains

by Jase1177 Written May 18, 2009

The Irish rail system seems to be pretty efficient and upgrading as time progresses (although other European countries far outpace Ireland). The IrishRail Intercity trains can connect you quickly to various other major cities in Ireland. The major routes have newer trains, with other routes expected to be updraded as well. The Dublin-Cork train (3hrs) that I took was comfortable and clean, offering seating in some two-by-two with tray tables or four seats around a common table. The train had a snack and dining car, as well as a cart going through offering snacks. The station announcements and route marker were clear and helpful in following the train progress. Most of the Dublin-Cork trains have 3-4 stops, making the trip go quickly.

The price for a standard round-trip was 56EUR (May09), with the premier car being 88EUR.

• Trains

• Turska's Profile Photo

You don´t need a transport

by Turska Written Mar 24, 2008

In Dublin it seems that you can walk everywhere!We didn´t use any transport beside going and coming to airport.then we used Terravision,witch goes 24h every day!
    if you don´t like walking,theres that hop on-buses,witch you will find information in someone elses tips,I´m sure!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Canal Boats

by grandmaR Written Aug 1, 2007

I noticed when the bus was driving us around the city, that there was a canal with locks. Usually a lock means that there is a boat to be moved up or down. I never saw a canal boat.

But of course Dublin is a port so there is a lot of water and a lot of ships of various kinds.

• Sailing and Boating

Ashling Hotel Dublin
Westbury Hotel
Buswells Hotel

Instant Answers: Dublin

Comments

Dublin Transportation

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Dublin locals.
Map of Dublin