Around Dublin, Dublin

by IrishFem
  • IrishFem's Profile Photo

ATM Machines

by IrishFem Updated Jul 30, 2011

Use caution when you're withdrawing money from ATM machines. Crime, like any city is rampant in Dublin especailly when it comes to withdrawing money from cash machines. Make sure no one is peeping over your back or if you're in the middle of withdrawing cash don't fall for someone tapping you on the shoulder and whilst you look around another person is stealing your cash. Keep you hand over the machine when punching in your id number.

If this does happen call the police or the Irish tourist Assistance Service.

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Expensive

by cjg1 Updated Feb 20, 2008

This is like every other European capital. Extremely expensive. And as such you should be ready to just accept it and have a good time. Drinks as usual will be more pricey in those areas that seem to cater to the tourists but like everything, if done in moderation, you'll have a great time.

Also, of course, because of the weak dollar to euro it is more expensive than it should be.

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

Traffic congestion - get me out of here !

by sourbugger Written Jan 5, 2004

Is this a solution ?

The rise of the Celtic Tiger has given rise to chronic traffic congestion in dublin.

Whilst it might not be at the levels experienced in places like Bangkok, the horror tales of Daily life in the city fill hours of chat between Dubliners.

The city fathers are trying to address the problem with new tunnels, trams and eventually a metro - but you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs, so the new projects are just adding to the problem at the moment.

As a tourist, if you avoid peak hours, and take the view that Dublin is a very walkable city, then it won't affect you too much. Also remember that taxi's are allowed to use bus lanes.

• Walking around Dublin

by Zia1 Updated Jul 2, 2004

During the Day most places are safe but Dublin is a large city and although most people are very friendly is is very easy to wander into areas of Dublin that the local people would avoid. Ask in your Hotel of B&B about the areas to avoid. Don't wander around with expensive cameras around your neck! Treat Dublin as you would any large city and you will be OK. If you have a car with a Northern Ireland or non-Irish registration -don't leave anything in the boot! These cars are targeted as easy pickings!

• Luch's Profile Photo

Long Distance Phone Call Scam

by Luch Written Aug 8, 2005

INTERNATIONAL CREDIT CARD TELEPHONE COMMUNICATIONS SCAM

My wife and I stayed at the Parliament Hotel in Dublin for 3 days at the beginning of July. We booked this hotel via Expedia.ca as we have had great success in using Expedia for our yearly travels to Europe and the United Kingdom.

During our stay at the Parliament Hotel in Dublin Ireland, we placed 3 overseas calls to family in Canada. Our normal process for making overseas calls to Canada is to dial direct by keying in 0 001 area code and phone number. At the Parliament Hotel we came across a card next to the phone outlining their process for making overseas calls. Their process was to go directly to a credit card option which put us in touch with an operator who took our credit card information and put the call through.

After our stay in Dublin, we travelled to Belfast, Rome, Florence and London and in each location, we were able to follow our normal process of dialling direct. Upon our arrival back home, we were astounded to see the charges on our credit cards for the calls placed during our stay at the Parliament Hotel in Dublin. An example and comparison for you: 2 minute call to Canada using the process outlined at the Parliament Hotel cost US$39.91 and the same call for the same duration made in Belfast and in Italy cost US $4.50.

We have called our Credit Card Company to lodge a complaint and have been advised that this particular phone company being used by Hotels abroad is indeed atrocious and they are charging far too much money for a normal overseas call. Our credit card company advised us that they get dozens of calls daily about this company.

We have since done our own on line investigation about this company and the complaints and stories are very similar to ours.

We called the company directly to complain and was told they would be willing to knock off some of the charges PROVIDING we did not lodge an official complaint.

This must be happening thousands of times a day.

• morgana17's Profile Photo

watch it

by morgana17 Written Jan 26, 2006

Dublin is a dangerous city. Avoid walking around after dark by yourself. The North Side is more dangerous than the South Side, but both are risky. Don't trust taxi drivers too much: if you're a girl, try to get a taxi with a male friend if you can. In the evenings and weekend there are a lot of drunk people around. A drunk once tried to harm me. Stay away from them. Never leave your drinks unattended, as they might get spiked. If you come from a country when they drive on the other side, mind yourself crossing the road!

• Luxury Travel

• amapola66's Profile Photo

Take care where you roam

by amapola66 Updated May 9, 2005

Take care where you roam, especially at night.
    There are still some pretty dubious areas immediately outside the town center.
    (and I have travelled in South America, so I'm not really a nervous traveler).

We had a tricky moment on the way to the Dice bar where I received some archaic style racist abuse (I am Spanish looking).

• acemj's Profile Photo

Basic precautions

by acemj Written May 31, 2003

I felt perfectly safe in Dublin, although I was told by some our local VTers that there are some areas where it's wise to watch your back. In fact, Peter told me to be careful walking around at night in the area of my hostel (one might say it's a slightly hostile area). Louise told me about an attack that occurred while I was in Dublin on two tourists. Apparently a man viciously attacked two women in broad daylight. However, as I said, with the normal precautions Dublin is a safe place to visit.

Literally -around Dublin

by sourbugger Updated Sep 10, 2008

The M50 motorway forms a giant 'C' around the Western side of the city. It was built as a giant-by pass for the city, but now acts as a main arterial route.

It was apparantly named this year as the "World's slowest Motorway". Quite how they came to that conclusion ? I'm notsure, but I'm not doubting it.

This means that if tou plan to use the road during peak hours to get to the Airport or the ferryport at Dun Lagonaire, then you could be in for a shock. The Toll bridge over the Liffey is a particular 'pinch point' and could lead to significant stress if you are racing against time - although the new barrier free tolling should cut this problem down to size.

Allow plenty of extra time, and tune into any Dublin radio station for traffic updates.

Pheonix park ? nope

by sourbugger Written Apr 30, 2011

Looking over a map of Dublin's transport network, you might think it would be nice to visit Pheonix park for the zoo, the wellington monument and the other attractions - and it has a handy railway station.

nope, sorry. The station is built on the site of the former racecourse and is nothing more than a commuter station stuck out on the N3. Dozens of tourists get caught out every month..it's a long walk from the station - and there are no signposts or clues to help you.

• IrishFem's Profile Photo

Mobile Phones

by IrishFem Updated Jun 8, 2006

Board walk

Dublin has become much more violent. Unfortunately it is no longer safe to walk around the streets with a mobile (cell) phone day or night. Be careful that it is not snatched from you. Never ever leave anything on the seats of your car. The windows will be smashed and anything you have will be taken. Be careful if you want to take a walk along the liffey boardwalk, apparently its full of junkies and drunks who's main objective is to verbally attack anyone that walks by. The police are trying to clean this area up but we don't have a huge police force so they are hard to spot.

• Dublin safety

by explicitlyrix Written Feb 5, 2007

Wow, reading these posts one would imagine Dublin to be a very dangerous place - and it's not! In fact, I feel much safer here than in most cities I've ever visited, but I guess it's more knowing the 'right' areas to visit.
    For one, I would recommend staying on the South side of the city - anywhere from Leeson St., Baggot St. out to Donnybrook, or somewhere along the southside Dart line. Otherwise, places like Malahide, Portmarnock are also quite nice. Avoid city neighbourhoods like Christchurch, Rialto, Fatima Mansions - stay away from accomodation on Vicar St. (popular venue for comedy nights/concerts, just don't hang around after),Thomas St. etc. - like any major cities there are places to go, and not to go. Just do your research.
    I work with international students in Dublin, and they all agree that Dublin is a safe city.

• Study Abroad

• Homeless and drunks...

by Aliseeya Written Dec 15, 2005

We felt very safe during our entire stay in Dublin. However, there were instances when we were harassed by the homeless and some drunks (a problem in ANY urban city). Since I was walking with a group, I wasn't ruffled by these encounters But, women traveling on their own should be constantly aware of their surroundings. It is intimidating to be approached by strangers, and walking around alone at night is dangerous in any city.

• traveling_girl_13's Profile Photo

Walking

by traveling_girl_13 Updated May 24, 2006

crazy cars will run you down

Please be careful walking around Dublin. If possible run accross the road only at the signal. Crossing the streets in Dublin is a dangerous sport and is not for the faint of heart. If you don't start across the road as soon as the signal begins, you will not make it. Trust me. My friend crossed too late and was inches from being run over. And don't think they won't do it.

• School Holidays
    • Singles

• sn0ball's Profile Photo

Paranoia

by sn0ball Updated Dec 19, 2007

I've been reading through the warnings and I must say that most are complete rubbish. I have walked home from the city centre every night after clubbing. I've never had any hassle. Sure we have junkies and beggars- show me a city that doesn't!
    People not doing their research and watching "The quiet man" too many times is the reason that they get into trouble.

Stay away from dodgy parts of town at night (I've never followed my own advice!)

Don't walk around looking like an American (Irish people can spot you a mile off)

Act the way the locals do (DON'T stop abruptly in the middle of Grafton St).

Otherwise, if I, or many other Dubs see people looking lost, we will always stop and ask them if they need directions. We may not be the friendly people out of stereotypical Irish films, but we're not that bad.

As for the Northside/Southside thing- that's an ongoing point of contention among Dubliners and everyone who has been told that the southside is safer has, more than likely, been told so by a southsider.

Apologies for the rant but I don't like to see my city being put down.
    If you've any questions, just ask!

Instant Answers: Dublin