Bloody stream pub, Howth

4 out of 5 stars 3 Reviews

More Oysters -2010
  • The Bloody Stream - my 1st raw oyster! 2009
    The Bloody Stream - my 1st raw oyster!...
    The Gang- in The Bloody Stream
  • suvanki's Profile Photo

The Bloody Stream: Traditional style pub/restaurant next to train Stn

by suvanki Updated Apr 4, 2011

I first came across this pub after my second trip to Howth, when I stopped for a Guinness before boarding the DART back to Dublin.

At the end of my recent trip to Howth in July 09, it was a very welcome refuge from the torrential downpour, that had soaked me to the skin! A roaring fire (in the middle of Summer!) was very welcome-as I dried off and warmed up

I was planning to just enjoy a pint of Guinness before heading back to Dublin, but it was nice to sit by the fire, and I caught sight of the menu.

Oysters on the menu grabbed my attention-I'd wanted to try this delicacy, for a long time, but was a bit nervous-I was afraid of getting a huge oyster stuck in my throat, and/or having an allergic reaction. (I'd tried a grilled oyster at our local Japanese Restaurant and had enjoyed it, but wasn't sure about trying a raw one)
    The menu offered 6 oysters or 12+. When the waitress came over, I asked if these were raw - they were. Were they local? again, they were. I explained that I hadn't tried a raw oyster, and wasn't sure about trying these. She asked if I wanted to try one first, and promptly returned with 3 small raw oysters in their shells on a bed of shredded lettuce with a lemon wedge.
    Well, they were delicious-fresh and tasting of the sea!
    However, I decided that after all, I'd prefer to eat a plate of mussels for my meal. These came in a creamy garlicy sauce-Mmmmmmm!

When my bill arrived, I noticed that I'd only been charged for my Guinness and the plate of mussels. I questioned this with the waitress-I'd not been charged for the oysters or the fresh wholemeal bread, she just smiled and said-don't worry! Yes, she got a good tip!

A pleasant traditional style pub, with 3 rooms and outside conservatory (smoking area) with patio heating.
    Piped Oirish music-Christy Moore, Dubliners etc. during the day- there are regular live music sessions too at night- check website for listings.
    Clean and comfortable toilets (well can only vouch for the ladies!)
    Friendly atmosphere
    Mix of clientele - visitors and locals, young and old, singles, couples, families, friends.
    Open log fires
    Friendly, welcoming staff
    Historic link- The Bloody Stream- Viking legend!

Underneath/adjacent to the Howth Dart terminus, so a good place to start/end your trip to Howth.
    Awww, you've missed your train- have a Guinness (or two) here while you wait for the next one!

Recommended!

Here's the History Part! - from their web site!

History of The Bloody Stream

10th August 1177, during the 2nd Norman Invasion of Ireland, Sir John de Courcy’s expedition arrived off Howth.
    Unable to leave his ship, the command was taken over by Sir Almeric Tristram, said to be a descendant of Sir Tristram, a knight of King Arthur’s Round Table.
    A great battle ensued against the Danes, who were then in occupation on Evora Bridge, over a stream; afterwards known as the Bloody Stream.
    During the construction of this public house, we found that the Bloody Stream runs directly under these premises.
    Having fought a constant battle with the stream flooding the bar, we decided to make peace with it, hence the name, The Bloody Stream.

UPDATE -OCTOBER 2010

5 of us visited here, we had intended just having drinks, but I wanted to try the oysters again. Another of my friends was keen too, one decided to try them for the first time, and 2 declined!

So, I ordered a plate of 6 for 9.95 Euros, which we washed down with Guinness - Delicious!

Again, the log fire was welcome! and again, the staff were super friendly and welcoming.

Favorite Dish: My pint of Guinness!-Draught, but half poured, left to rest, then topped up- creamy and with the toasted caramel bite.

My first raw oysters!- not the nightmare that I'd envisaged (and for free!) Next time, I'll order 6 or even 12!

Mussels in cream/wine/garlic-Mmmmmm!

The Gang- in The Bloody Stream The Bloody Stream - my Mussels -2009 The Bloody Stream - my 1st raw oyster! 2009 Cosy by the fire More Oysters -2010
    • Music
    • Beer Tasting

• ErinInMD's Profile Photo

The Bloody Stream: Freshest Fish *Ever*

by ErinInMD Written Jun 11, 2005

The restaurant cannot have a more convient location. Walk out of the DART station and there it is.

There is seating outside and inside. Since it was raining and chilly my friend and I sat inside. The interior is cosy and the staff is very friendly.

Try to snag a seat by the comfy fireplace and enjoy a wonderful meal.

Favorite Dish: I had the battered, smoked cod and it was delicious and incredibly fresh. Possibly the best fish I've ever ate. Had it been a man I would have married it. Yes, the fish was that good. It also came with chips and a small salad.

Cute sign in Howth, Ireland

• Groentje's Profile Photo

The Bloody Stream: Savour that fish!

by Groentje Written Sep 5, 2003

Some good points:
    - The location was great, literally just below the DART station.
    - The staff in this place, as in most Irish places, are very friendly and helpful.
    - The food is fresh and very tasty.
    - As in all (decent) Irish pubs, they have Guinness!! :-)
    - the story behind this restaurant is very amusing (and not amusing as well): apparently there was a great battle between Vikings and Irish (?) around, I think, the 12th Century, and the stream that now goes below the restaurant was then filled with blood; second connotation now is that the restaurant sometimes gets flooded by the stream as well, and the owners have just given up on fighting it. They don't call it anymore "that $%µ Bloody Stream"! Or sth like it :-)

Favorite Dish: We had the "Catch of the Day", which in our case was the Haddock. Very yummy, served with chips and salads.

Instant Answers: Howth

Comments

Other Restaurants in Howth